Strange 'Moving' ROCKS On Mars! weird

Writer

PostWed May 27, 2009 3:41 am » by Solitaryman

I like this post,very rational analysis.

Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 4:00 am » by Drextin

Excellent work low!!!

Mars dust devils have been in space news before now. In fact, the Mars Rover twins, Spirit and Opportunity, owe their lives to the quixotic martian winds. Gusts of wind and dust devils pass over the solar arrays on the intrepid robotic explorers just often enough to scour away the ubiquitous martian dust from the surface of their mission prolonging solar arrays and sweep away the dust build-up, allowing the 4 year old batteries to recharge. This helpful process was completely unforeseen.

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_mars_wind_070426.html

I have to say though. I am really tired of hearing about the rocks on mars being everything from bigfoot to a pepsi can. I believe there are artifacts on mars, the face, structures and so forth....but not all these other things that never look like what people say they do.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 4:08 am » by Lowsix

OK , i see what youve done with your animation..
I misunderstood what i was seeing..you were only morphing one to another, and not two sets..

My bad.
I Grabed the beinning and edning frames of your animation, and I see what is going on.

For SURE there is a difference in Focal lengths...and that accounts for why you are able to line up the Front Rocks, but with a change in focal length, comes a DRASTIC change in apparent distance between background elements.

My analysis still stands based on this, even using your two frames.

I have marked a total of 7 Rocks with either orange or yellow markers.

Yellow represents Rocks that will move completely out of frame due to the change of rover position and Focal length.

Orange marks Rocks that appear to move positions but remain in frame..

The key is the Focal Length change,
and how confusing it is that the front Rocks can be lined up...

Although I cant know specific MM sizes, i can surmise that the first photo was taken with the smaller mm measurement (smaller zoom ratio) and the second phto was taken with a larger mm# (largerzoom ratio). This accounts for the drastic increase in right to left panning distance, with front rocks remaining aligned.

Larger MM will DECREASE the apparent distance (from foreground to background) of background items, making it APPEAR as if they were still on the same focal plane while having moved.

The Yellow markered Rocks have now fallen out of frame completely to the left...and the ORANGE marker rocks, show how radically different the position of the ROVER is from shot one and two as well as the change in focal length...

Those orange markered rocks, move several feet to the left, while the foreground rocks appear to be in the same position..
which makes the analysis of your morphing frames somewhat misleading to the eye at first glance...

Great idea to use the animation though...but shows how confusing these mars photos can be, particularly when the focal lengths are changed up without letting you know...so its like comparing apples to oranges on relative distances and positions..

Thx for finding and posting the updated 'carwash' Link, Drex..

Last edited by Lowsix on Wed May 27, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 4:17 am » by Drextin

Exactly low. Had the images morphed with only the movement of the rock and not focal length............might have been something.

Plus any two images not of the same focal length will seem to move or down when morphed. Just as it does with any images not of the same size and so on. Since these pictures on mars were taken by the same system morphing would have been almost unnoticeable except for any changes in movement by objects in frame...........instead you get the up and down focal length changes.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Initiate

PostWed May 27, 2009 4:20 am » by Loneqqwolf

At first I thought holy cow oh my God finally the smoking gun, but then I also down loaded and examined and yes camera angle changes everything.

I do however believe that there is something of the snake like object on the right of boulder.

Wolf
If you believe in yourself, then that is all one needs.

Chief PhotoAnalyst - Mars Anomaly Research Society ( MARS )

http://www.exopolitics.blogs.com/

www.projectmars.net

Super Moderator

PostWed May 27, 2009 4:23 am » by -Marduk-

Is Disclose Tv a parrot or echo of ATS...any time any topic or video is new on ATS 3 seconds later its here on Disclose Tv! :nope:

Thats sad, lame and boring! :badair:
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 4:54 am » by Lowsix

Crossover Members Marduk.
They know we got the shit over here, and they copyin us...
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Super Moderator

PostWed May 27, 2009 5:02 am » by -Marduk-

Ohh yeah of course lol ;)
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 5:18 am » by Ghost32

If you rotate the first image counter-clockwise the larger rock kinda looks like a face of a statue :shock:
Also I would like to note that mars does have extreme dust/sand storms that at certain times of the year cover the entire planet thus it would be understandable that smaller rocks might get moved during the storms? Thus pictures taken at the same location at different times of the year might indeed look different from dust/sand blowing away or covering things :alien:

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 5:36 am » by Lowsix

ghost32 wrote:Also I would like to note that mars does have extreme dust/sand storms that at certain times of the year cover the entire planet thus it would be understandable that smaller rocks might get moved during the storms? Thus pictures taken at the same location at different times of the year might indeed look different from dust/sand blowing away or covering things :alien:

Lol Im not seeing the statue face thing,
but your second point is absolutely true..
(just not in this case)

good catch..

PreviousNext