Strange 'Moving' ROCKS On Mars! weird

Conspirator

PostTue May 26, 2009 11:07 pm » by bugmenot

Strange 'Moving' ROCKS On Mars! weird :alien: :peep: :alien:

Here’s something that’s pretty intriguing. An object (Rock? Lifeform?) that’s part of a rocky outcrop, seems to have shifted its position! Check out the three photographs which have been taken by the Spirit Rover Navcam that apparently show an object on the left that seems to have mysteriously ‘moved’ to the centre and then finally disappeared! Here are the three photographs…
There is no object visible in the centre of the outcrop which I’ve marked with a white arrow:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 25L0M4.JPG

Now notice the object on the left of the outcrop. The yellow arrow indicates its apparent movement to its final position shown in the next photograph:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 75L0M1.JPG

And now the final image which shows the object in the centre of the outcrop:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 85L0M1.JPG

If you compare the first and last photographs, it looks like the object has moved either under its own steam or placed there!

More perplexing is the image taken three days later, in the link below. There is NO object nearby that resembles the one that has now apparently disappeared! So where did it come from and where did it go?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 85R0M1.JPG

Whatever, it’s got me stumped! But I'm sure there are image experts here who can solve this puzzle! So, what do you think happened here? Probably an image glitch which seems to be the most logical explanation. I mean...moving objects on Mars? C'mon!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by bugmenot on Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Initiate

PostTue May 26, 2009 11:11 pm » by Ourgreatcountry

On the second picture you can clearly (zooming and magnifying) see what appears to be a bird shaped head turned to the right of the object.

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 12:00 am » by Lowsix

I grabbed the original images, and figured this one out..

Not tryin to rain on anyones parade, however..but this is whats up.

The object in question was originally hidden, and when the rover moved forward and upwardly left, it revealed itself from behind the large right hand side rock.

The way to understand, is to place two objects on your desk in front of you, one in front of the other..then shift your perspective LEFT.

This will force the foreground object to the right while the background object will appear to move to the left.

And then after the rover moves:

warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Initiate

PostWed May 27, 2009 1:24 am » by Darkplanet

LowSix wrote:I grabbed the original images, and figured this one out..

Not tryin to rain on anyones parade, however..but this is whats up.

The object in question was originally hidden, and when the rover moved forward and upwardly left, it revealed itself from behind the large right hand side rock.

The way to understand, is to place two objects on your desk in front of you, one in front of the other..then shift your perspective LEFT.

This will force the foreground object to the right while the background object will appear to move to the left.

And then after the rover moves:

Very nice work lowsix. I was thinking the same thing.

Initiate

PostWed May 27, 2009 1:55 am » by Bink02

Very cool , and damn good explanation Low 6 ! ( I was hoping it was some sort of Martian bird headed hamster crab or something , but , oh well it's all good ) :cheers:
Founder of the RLA (Rebel Lemming Alliance ) * We follow no one ...

"People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people ."

Initiate

PostWed May 27, 2009 2:00 am » by Ourgreatcountry

Great work on the analysis. But I still maintain it looks like a bird head :)

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 2:17 am » by Lowsix

ourgreatcountry wrote:Great work on the analysis. But I still maintain it looks like a bird head :)

Lol, why yes it does..
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 3:09 am » by Dirtyrabbit

Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 3:15 am » by Dirtyrabbit

Mystery Martian ‘car wash’ helps rover

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6742718/
A phenomenon akin to a space-borne car wash has boosted the performance of one of the two NASA rovers probing the surface of Mars.

Layers of dust have been swept from the solar panels of the Mars Opportunity vehicle while it was closed down during the Martian night. The cleaning boosted the panels' power output close to their maximum 900 watt-hours per day, after at one stage dropping to 500 watt-hours because of the heavy Martian dirt.

"These exciting and unexplained cleaning events have kept Opportunity in really great shape," the London-based New Scientist magazine quoted NASA rover team leader Jim Erickson as saying.
The chief scientist for the rover missions, Cornell University's Steve Squyres, chuckled at the car wash reference. However, he acknowledged that Opportunity, unlike its twin Spirit rover on the other side of the Red Planet, has somehow been getting a thorough cleaning.

"Spirit’s pretty dirty," he told MSNBC.com. "Opportunity looks like it just came off the showroom floor. We do not understand the process well."

But alien-conspiracy theorists shouldn't get their hopes up quite yet.

"I think it's probably nothing much more mysterious than a few well-timed gusts of wind," Squyres said.

Even though Spirit's solar arrays are grimier, that rover "is actually doing very well, too," Squyres said. Its daily power output had at one point dropped to 380 watt-hours — close to the 280 watt-hours required to keep itself alive — but now the output was "well over 500 and trending upward," he said.

He said two factors were behind Spirit's resurgence: First of all, the depths of Martian winter have passed, and there are more hours of sunlight as spring approaches. Also, Spirit has been positioned to tilt northward on the north flank of Husband Hill.

"It tilts the arrays toward the sun, so that significantly improves the solar output," Squyres said.

Unless something goes awry, the rovers will begin their second year of operation on Mars in January — not bad, considering that the machines were built with a "warranty" lifetime of merely 90 days.

Master Conspirator

PostWed May 27, 2009 3:22 am » by Lowsix

I see where youre going with that, and I like it.

You have four photos, (or two sets) of two photos each...for a total of two comparisons..

Would you mind separating that animation into two separate ones, so that it morphs from one view to another and back to the original view, instead of morphing one to another, and then to the second set of morphing pairs?

Im defo interested..

Although Im still betting that it wont show a rock changing positions.

What i noticed between the two i compared, was that not only the distances had changed, but the Focal length had changed as well, meaning its not like a fixed 55mm lens..its a zoom lense..which is why i didnt do my comparison that way..

And @ the Carwash post..
That article is from 2004, and they have since updated it, where in 2006 or 7 they accidentally captured some high velocity but low profile (width) dustdevils near the rover, speculated to have been created from static electricity that accounted for the Rover Being cleaned...

I'll try to find the link.

Next