Straw Goat gets burned again in Sweden

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 10:48 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

I seems to be a tradition!

According to the article this year they monitored the area to via webcam to maybe see the vandals since it keep occurring each year, but to no avail.

STOCKHOLM – A giant straw goat was burned down yet again early Wednesday in a Swedish city where torching it has become a Christmas tradition, to the dismay of local leaders.

Gavle city spokeswoman Anna Ostman said someone set fire to the 43-foot-high (13-meter-high) creature around 3 a.m. local time. Only a charred wooden skeleton of the traditional Swedish Christmas symbol remained on Wednesday morning.

"It feels very sad," Ostman said. "We had really hoped that he would survive Christmas and New Year's.

Vandals have burned down the goat 24 times since it was first set up in Gavle in 1966 to mark the holiday season. It has also been smashed several times, run over by a car and had its legs cut off.

In 2006 and 2007 city officials doused it in fireproofing chemicals. Ostman said they stopped doing that because it discolored the goat, making it "look like a brown terrier instead of a yellow straw goat."

The goat is a centuries-old Scandinavian Yule symbol that preceded Santa Claus as the bringer of gifts to Swedish homes. Many Swedes place a small straw goat underneath their Christmas trees, or hang miniature versions on the branches.

While city officials are always quick to condemn the vandals who set the goats ablaze, they have also become increasingly aware of the international attention the near-yearly attacks draw to Gavle, about 90 miles (150 kilometers) north of Stockholm.

This year the city Web site offers users a chance to follow the goat's fate via a Webcam, Twitter page and a blog — in both Swedish and English.

"So sad that I can't celebrate Christmas with you all, but thank you so much for now, dear friends," the blog said Wednesday. "I'm going on holiday now to get some rest — but will of course be back for next Christmas."

The attack was not captured by the Webcam, which was slowed down by a sharp increase in traffic that appeared to be timed to sabotage the site, Ostman said.

Vandals are seldom caught, but in 2001 a 51-year-old visitor from Cleveland, Ohio, spent 18 days in jail for setting it ablaze.

In 2005, the goat was burned down by two arsonists dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.

Aaaaalritghy then!
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 11:01 pm » by -Marduk-

poor goat :twisted:

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 11:04 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

I wonder if the Straw Goat has anything to do with Aries?

Thanks Marduk....good images....

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 11:12 pm » by Dirttyrabbit

thats creepy

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 11:22 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

I am curious....what is the difference between a goat and a ram?

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 11:50 pm » by Dirttyrabbit

lucidlemondrop wrote:I am curious....what is the difference between a goat and a ram?

ImageImage

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 11:54 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

dirttyrabbit wrote:
lucidlemondrop wrote:I am curious....what is the difference between a goat and a ram?

ImageImage

Separating the sheep from the goats
# Taxonomy
While sheep and goats have many similarities, their taxonomy (scientific clasification) eventually diverges. Each is a distinct species and genus. Sheep (Ovis Aries) have 54 chromosomes, while goats (Capra Hircus) have 60. While sheep and goats will occasionally mate, fertile sheep-goat hybrids are rare. Hybrids made in the laboratory are called chimeras.

# Look at their tails
The easist way to tell the difference between a sheep and goat is to look at their tails. A goat's tail goes up (unless it is sick, frightened, or in distress). Sheep tails hang down and are often docked (shortened) for health and sanitary reasons.

# Foraging behavior
The biggest difference between sheep and goats is their foraging behavior and diet selection. Goats are natural browsers, preferring to eat leaves, twigs, vines, and shrubs. They are very agile and will stand on their hind legs to reach vegetation. Sheep are grazers, preferring to eat short, tender grasses and clover. Their dietary preference is forbs (broadleaf weeds) and they like to graze close to the soil surface. Goats like to eat the tops of plants.

# Behavior
There are many behavior differences between sheep and goats. Goats are naturally curious and independent, while sheep tend to be more distant and aloof. Sheep have a stronger flocking instinct and become very agitated if they are separated from the rest of the flock.

Goats will seek shelter more readilty than sheep. Neither likes to get their feet wet and both prefer upland grazing to lowland.

In a fight, a ram will back up and charge to butt heads. A goat will rear up on his hind legs and come down forceably to butt heads. This fighting behavior favors the ram.

# Physical differences
Sheep and goats have many physical differences. Most goats have hair coats that do not require shearing or combing. Most sheep grow wool and need to be sheared annually. Lamb tails are usually docked (shortened) whereas goat tails are not.

Sheep have an upper lip that is divided by a distinct philtrum (groove). The goat does not.
Male goats have glands beneath their tail. Sheep have face or tear glands beneath their eyes and foot or scent glands between the toes. Male goats develop a distinct odor as they grow in sextual maturity. The odor is very strong during the rut (mating season). Sexually mature rams have much less of an odor.

# Horns
Most goats naturally have horns. Some goats have beards. Many breeds of sheep are naturally hornless (polled). Some sheep have manes. Goat horns are more narrow, upright, and less curved than sheep horns. Sheep tend to curl their horns in loops on the sides of their heads.

Yeah, but I am talking astrologically and metaphysically.......

Initiate

PostThu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 am » by Naranja

Haha i never heard the term straw goat before, its called Julbocken = christmasgoat, and yes its a tradition that it gets burned down and there are even bets made by bettingcompanys for when it will burn and i must admit that its been a dream for me ever since i was a child to burn it down. maybe next year..

The goat itself (not the straw one) is one of swedens oldest christmassymbols it was delivering presents and stuff 200 years ago kinda like santa claus and is a relic of the old norsemythology. The god of thunder Tor had a carriage drawn by two goats, Tanngnjóstr and Tanngrisnir. So Lucid there you got the aries connection. :flop:

Master Conspirator

PostThu Dec 24, 2009 12:39 am » by Cornbread714

One is hornier than the other.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 24, 2009 12:42 am » by Lucidlemondrop

santa's beard is the cobweb substance that mushrooms make as they grow.....

Next