Summer of hell.....?

Initiate

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 am » by Snake Plissken

Lots of weirdness going on in the world this summer, is it the 'Summer of Hell' Web bot was on about?

So many plane crashes recently too, those two Airbusses ( the 12 year old girl that survived the second one the 'scarred lady' that Web bot mentioned?), the Tornado up in scotland, wouldnt it be just plain creepy if suddenly any plane that tried to fly myteriously malfunctioned? Imagine what would happen if we suddenly lost the ability to fly to other countries?

Today a fire in a tower block in London, before that a train crash involving LPG.

Lots of celebrities dead too (or 'disappeared' if you prefer!).

Seriously hot weather here in the UK, financial uncertaintly still hanging over our heads, politicians losing our trust.

Is this shaping up to be the Summer of Hell????
"The more things change the more they stay the same..."

Initiate

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:02 am » by Spliffffstar

Yeah, weather's been really awful. There are lots of floods in Germany for instance. And in my hometown here in Luxembourg, the heat and air moisture's been unbearable for the last two weeks.

Plus, there's a lot of economic turmoil in Germany and, as you said snake, England's having a very hot summer, too.

Yup, it seems the web bot dude was right, at least until now.....

Writer

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:18 am » by Su13lime

Unemployment will be 10% here in the US before the end of July sadly... Now wouldnt it be nice if the stimulus kept it at 8% OR AT LEAST UNDER 9% like we were fucking promised. Im just glad I actually have a job, ive got good friends around here that have been jobless for months now and not by choice... its getting scary tbh.

Hell the last time my dad sold a condo, was August not of last year but the year before that... its not cheap real estate but he used to pump out 30 or more in a year. Top off all this economic bull shit with a couple serious hurricanes?? Id say it would be about the worst summer possible, especially if i have to spend weeks cleaning up after a storm. Myrtle Beach hasnt been hit hard in years, the most of a tropical storm we have had was a small depression in early September of last year. And that was after 2 years of clear skies during hurricane season. If history keeps up its current record we are long overdue for another hugo/andrew around here, sadly :(

Only time will tell, lets all just hope for the best

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:41 am » by Lucidlemondrop

I have noticed alot of family members finding themselves in position to move in with other family members more than usual.

Just looking around the neighborhood I can name several on this block!
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Master Conspirator

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:46 am » by Cornbread714

We've lived through many hellish summers - my guess is: we'll survive this one.

In the mid to late 60s the streets were on fire every summer in America. People have forgotten those days

All the Long, Hot Summers

"Burn, baby, burn!" That was the exultant cry first heard in the Los Angeles district of Watts. It marked a historic shift from the era of sit-ins and nonviolent marches, of songs and prayers, to the era of ghetto rioting. The worst outbreaks: New York City, July 1964. At a rally held in Harlem to protest the killing of a black youth by a white off-duty police officer, black leaders denounced the police and called for community action. When the crowd marched to a Harlem police station, scuffles with police erupted into a riot that lasted six days and also broke out in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn. The final toll: one dead, 143 injured, 461 arrested.

Los Angeles, August 1965. A minor incident on a hot summer night turned into six days of rioting, arson, looting and sniping by an estimated 10,000 blacks. Of the 34 people killed, 28 were black. By the sixth day, 12,000 National Guardsmen and 2,500 city and county police were patrolling 46 square miles and had arrested 4,000 people. Some 200 buildings were completely destroyed, with property losses estimated at $40 million.

Cleveland, July 1966. Again a minor incident—this time in a neighborhood bar in the black section of Hough—turned into widespread shooting and fire bombing. In six days, four blacks were killed and 50 injured. A grand jury later blamed "trained professionals."

Newark, July 1967. Violence exploded when blacks heard and believed a false rumor that the police had killed a black taxi driver. As the rioting spread, exaggerated reports of black snipers prompted the intervention of the National Guard. In six days of rioting, 26 were killed, 1,500 injured, and damage reached $30 million.

Detroit, July 1967. The worst riot of the decade erupted on a muggy night when police raided an after-hours drinking club. At the height of the violence, President Lyndon Johnson sent in the U.S. Army, and the National Guard fired machine guns from Sherman tanks. The seven-day toll: 43 killed, 2,000 injured, 7,000 arrested and 5,000 left homeless.

Washington, D.C., April 1968.

After the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was killed in Memphis, Stokely Carmichael led a march down 14th Street that swelled into a riot. In four days, nine died, 1,000 were injured and 6,000 arrested.

The "long hot summer" had become an annual event in America's cities when the rioting suddenly stopped. One reason was a series of reforms: more political power for blacks, police review boards, a variety of job programs. Another was the realization that ghetto blacks were the chief victims of ghetto violence—burned-out areas of Detroit and Newark are still in ruins today. But as Miami demonstrated, the elements that created the history of ghetto rioting still exist.

Things could be worse...

Peace, y'all!
Try to have a nice summer...

Upload to Disclose.tv

Last edited by Cornbread714 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:47 am » by Spliffffstar

Yeah, when you have a look at the timewave zero calculator, novelty seems to increase steadily until the end of October. So, if you believe in that stuff, you could say that we're in for one hell of a summer.

Initiate

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:48 am » by Esoteric

well, we could create a summer of hell, if we all focus our attention on it allot!
who is who, to say what is what?

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 am » by Lucidlemondrop

@cornbread.........if were gonna have jimi we need janus

Upload to Disclose.tv

Master Conspirator

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 4:10 am » by Cornbread714

lucidlemondrop wrote:@cornbread.........if were gonna have jimi we need janus

Upload to Disclose.tv

Lucid, I've never seen that vid. Fantastic.

Sorry if we are hijacking the thread, Smurf-stylee, but I can't help it.
At least I'm keeping with the summer thing.

Back in the olden days, there were lots of summer songs:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 04, 2009 4:14 am » by Lucidlemondrop

Not hijacking at all :D just givin it some groove!

:dancing:

IMO all summers are hell when it gets to be over 100 degrees with high humidity, unless your in a pool or an ocean!

Next