Surviving the apocalypse without money.

Initiate

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 pm » by Truthisaweap0n

So first, i define the apocalypse as the truth being revealed and in turn, economic / social collapse.

When our paper money becomes worthless and people return to copper / silver and gold based transactions... many of us will not be prepared. Not just because some of us are sleeping through this madness, but also due to the limited resources we currently have. If you are struggling to pay bill and put food on the table for your family, you may not have enough left over to prepare for the upcoming food crisis. This leaves many people with a feeling of hopelessness and realization that there isn't anything they can do. In my opinion this is not true.

After giving this much thought, I have come to the conclusion that there are some things you can do that do not require much money (if any) to implement. When things collapse, money will become anything of value and bartering and trade will become the norm. Now before any of this can be applied, a few things must be understood. If you live in a high population, low resource area ( cities ), You will have a very hard time getting any of this off the ground. If you can escape to a low population high resource area, people will band together to protect their resources rather than fight each other for the remaining scraps. Hear is what I propose.

1) Learn to grow / raise food. -
It is not difficult to grow food, It is however labor intensive and time consuming. If you grow food, learn to sprout seeds for food... you can offset some of the hardship that will follow the economic collapse. Food will be as good as gold. You will be able to trade food for just about anything. Sugar and salt will be very valuable.

2) Learn to brew BEER - WINE
Beer is so easy to make, that a one armed retarded chimp can make it. Most people tend to think it is difficult, but it's not. You can make beer with practically nothing but water , sugar and yeast. Since times will be tough, people will tend to embrace escapism (like we all do now) as a means to get by. You will be able to trade beer for the things you need.

3) Learn to make MOONSHINE / FUEL
This will be a VERY valuable resource to have. Although this is more difficult that brewing beer or wine, Shine has tons of applications, the number one being a means of escaping the chaos , if even for a few hours. Shine can also be used as fuel.

4) Learn to grow Marijuana / make drugs.
Yes, weed and meth with become huge . Again, knowing how to cultivate pot or produce any mind altering substance will be of great value. It may even save you life if you are captured or threatened by one of the many roaming gangs of thug who will steal / murder anyone with anything of value. The knowledge you hold just may keep you alive long enough to produce more for the gang, since they will want drugs as well.

5) Medical and first aid knowledge will be very valuable and may be traded for food.

6) learn to reload / manufacture ammo
this one is fairly self explanatory.

anyway, please post anything else i may have missed. I'm looking for cheap and or free ways to sustain without money.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:12 pm » by Torofamily

Style recognition software activated
ImageWE ARE THE GLOBAL POLITICAL AWAKENING ! Image

Initiate

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:13 pm » by Gunzenbomz

Some good advice in there.

People also need to check out 'bug out bags'

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/index.php
http://www.americanantigravity.com/
http://www.enterprisemission.com/
http://www.lucypringle.co.uk/photos/index.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/user/GunZenBomZ

Writer

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:27 pm » by Stalkingwolf

Have an assortment of good knives on hand, with various size blades for different purposes, even though one good knife can make a world of difference in survival.

Learn how to make rope out of plant fibers, a little difficult at first, but with practice it becomes easier.

Learn how to tan animal skins. I prefer brain tanning myself, though it's a bit messy, I remember learning growing up that every animal has enough brain to tan it's own hide.

I'll post more when I think of them... Got to get back to work making a sheath for my son's knife.

Writer

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:30 pm » by Denpadre

go watch 'the colony' a reality show (more of an experiment realy) where they drop a handfull of people in a simulated post apocalypse. lot of good advice in that show, also shows you how to defend from roving gangs and such and allot of little stuff you can make out of nothing. and my advice is: keep a SAS survival handbook on you on all times and watch lots of 'bear grylls'

Initiate

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:31 pm » by Symbolon

So, basically what is suggested here, is providing we have addictive substances, we can live through the apolaypse. Hmmm.......

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:38 pm » by Tuor10

You can do all that without money?

Super Moderator

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:42 pm » by domdabears

tuor10 wrote:You can do all that without money?

lol i know right.
the reloading part is a lotttttt of money.
it saves in the long run, but to start off doing it is so much money.
i would know.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 5:49 pm » by Tuor10

domdabears wrote:
tuor10 wrote:You can do all that without money?

lol i know right.
the reloading part is a lotttttt of money.
it saves in the long run, but to start off doing it is so much money.
i would know.

Not to mention some of the material costs.

Initiate

PostFri Apr 15, 2011 6:01 pm » by Truthisaweap0n

yes, unfortunately addictive substances will be very valuable and may be traded for food. They don't require much to produce other than a bit of know-how.

load - reload spent casings can be pricy if you just buy the gunpowder... i am talking about making your own... if you have a mussel loaded rifle... well then what i am suggesting makes perfect sense.

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001484.html

Next