Swiss watch found in 400-year-old tomb

Writer

PostThu Dec 18, 2008 7:41 am » by Spiralout

...but Hiro is Japanese..... ;)

PostThu Dec 18, 2008 8:11 am » by Exchamp

Bee Ess. :<)

PostThu Dec 18, 2008 8:17 am » by Hesop

OMG! When I was about 10, one of my G.I. Joe commando's went missing...he had a watch just like that!

Initiate

PostThu Dec 18, 2008 10:42 am » by Johnsmith

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... years.html
Mystery as century-old Swiss watch discovered in ancient tomb sealed for 400 years
By Daily Mail Reporter
17th December 2008

Archeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.

They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.

But inside they uncovered a miniature watch in the shape of a ring marked 'Swiss' that is thought to be just a century old.

The mysterious timepiece was encrusted in mud and rock and had stopped at 10:06 am.

Watches were not around at the time of the Ming Dynasty and Switzerland did not even exist as a country, an expert pointed out.

The archeologists were filming a documentary with two journalists when they made the puzzling discovery.

'When we tried to remove the soil wrapped around the coffin, suddenly a piece of rock dropped off and hit the ground with metallic sound,' said Jiang Yanyu, former curator of the Guangxi Museum.

'We picked up the object, and found it was a ring.

'After removing the covering soil and examining it further, we were shocked to see it was a watch,' he added.

The Ming Dynasty - or the Empire of the Great Ming - was the was ruling dynasty in China from 1368 to 1644.

PostThu Dec 18, 2008 11:14 am » by Hesop

johnsmith wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1096959/Mystery-century-old-Swiss-watch-discovered-ancient-tomb-sealed-400-years.html
Mystery as century-old Swiss watch discovered in ancient tomb sealed for 400 years
By Daily Mail Reporter
17th December 2008

Archeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.

They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.

But inside they uncovered a miniature watch in the shape of a ring marked 'Swiss' that is thought to be just a century old.

The mysterious timepiece was encrusted in mud and rock and had stopped at 10:06 am.

Watches were not around at the time of the Ming Dynasty and Switzerland did not even exist as a country, an expert pointed out.

The archeologists were filming a documentary with two journalists when they made the puzzling discovery.

'When we tried to remove the soil wrapped around the coffin, suddenly a piece of rock dropped off and hit the ground with metallic sound,' said Jiang Yanyu, former curator of the Guangxi Museum.

'After removing the covering soil and examining it further, we were shocked to see it was a watch,' he added.

The Ming Dynasty - or the Empire of the Great Ming - was the was ruling dynasty in China from 1368 to 1644.

I just don't buy it. Sorry

1. They are in a dirty tomb. Mud and dirt, as they say....well, a ring that small would not make a metallic sound landing in the dirt.
2. There is a 12 hour watch in the photo, where did they get the AM?
3. Look at the patina, it's GREEN, meaning copper. Have yet to see a copper "Swiss" watch.
4. I don't care if he is holding a magnifying glass. Look at the deterioration of the watch. As fine as engraving is, Swiss, on the back, would be very small print, for this size, and hardly be legible at all with the corrosion.

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 18, 2008 12:12 pm » by Clawspiracy

Good assesment Hesop, but it is still a mystery as to who got into the tomb. I like to entertain the possibility that a Swiss Super model from the future dropped it there myself.
It's a Clawspiracy...

Initiate

PostSun Jan 04, 2009 3:47 pm » by Johnsmith

Update: Best theory thus far: This is a non-working toy or jewelry item with a face made to look like a watch. A watch this small and thin does not exist, even today, so if this watch ever worked it would be highly advanced.
http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... -old-tomb/

Master Conspirator

PostSun Jan 04, 2009 10:37 pm » by Drjones

Thats a better pic but this is a HOAX to me :oops: :hmmm:

PostSun Jan 04, 2009 11:17 pm » by Hesop

hesop wrote:
johnsmith wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1096959/Mystery-century-old-Swiss-watch-discovered-ancient-tomb-sealed-400-years.html
By Daily Mail Reporter
17th December 2008

I just don't buy it. Sorry

1. They are in a dirty tomb. Mud and dirt, as they say....well, a ring that small would not make a metallic sound landing in the dirt.
2. There is a 12 hour watch in the photo, where did they get the AM?
3. Look at the patina, it's GREEN, meaning copper. Have yet to see a copper "Swiss" watch.
4. I don't care if he is holding a magnifying glass. Look at the deterioration of the watch. As fine as engraving is, Swiss, on the back, would be very small print, for this size, and hardly be legible at all with the corrosion.

Now it becomes even more fishy. Why weren't BOTH photos in the original article? They were taken at the SAME time! It is OBVIOUSLY not a REAL watch, being that thin. Take a look!
first photo...

Second....

As they were filming, it appears to be an obvious hoax to ensure publicity.

Conspirator

PostSun Jan 04, 2009 11:20 pm » by Towelie

The rings probably worth £50 - max.
But if people think it belonged to Dr Who itll sell for 100s of 1000s.
Kill em all and let god sort them out!

Atheism is a non-prohet organisation.

PreviousNext