Syria:at least 40 killed in huge Damascus explosions

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 12:42 pm » by Proto

Syria: at least 40 killed in huge Damascus explosions

DAMASCUS, Syria - Two strong explosions ripped through the Syrian capital Thursday, killing or wounding dozens of people and leaving scenes of carnage in the streets in an assault against a center of government power.

The blasts, which ripped the facade off a military intelligence building, happened at about 7:50 a.m. when employees are usually arriving at work.

CBS News' George Baghdadi says human remains and badly burned bodies littered the streets after the explosions, which also destroyed as many as 40 cars and pickup trucks. Syrian state television put the death toll at 40, with another 170 wounded. The precise count could not be immediately confirmed, but Baghdadi says there were dozens of bodies visible after the blasts.

The outer wall of the headquarters collapsed, although the structure inside appeared intact.

Baghdadi says the explosions appear to have targeted the so-called Palestine intelligence branch, and an aviation headquarters.

The Syrian government blamed "terrorists" and said dozens were killed or wounded, most of them civilians. The leading opposition group, however, the Syrian National Council, cast blame on the government itself, according to Al-Arabiya television. The opposition has previously accused the Assad regime of carrying out large bomb attacks targeting government workers and buildings.

The actual culpability in the previous attacks has remained impossible to verify independently, given the restrictions on foreign media in Syria.

"The explosions shook the house; it was frightening," Mohhamed Ali, a local resident, tells CBS News. "I saw tens of bodies burned and dozens of wounded, mostly from the security (services)" he added. "I live a few hundred meters (yards) away but I saw some fingers in my neighborhood. The blast was huge."

Baghdadi says ambulances and other emergency vehicles were still working among the carnage as heavy earthmoving equipment began to clear the rubble. A crater about a yard and a half across and two yards deep could be seen at the spot where one off the blasts went off.

Central Damascus is tightly under the control of forces loyal to President Bashar Assad but has been struck by several bomb attacks, often targeting security installations or convoys.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-574 ... explosions
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/stor ... 54868980/1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLeNyBh6bA

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 1:34 pm » by Proto

euronews special envoy to #Syria Bora Bayraktar on bombings site: reports 24 school kids dead on the attack #Damascus

according to :

http://inagist.com/all/200503448045760514/

Upload to Disclose.tv

Non governmental Syrian sources report that the numbers of casualties
estimated now at 50 .

http://www.alriyadh.com/2012/05/10/article734870.html

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 1:48 pm » by Noentry

That is terrible Proto

My parents worked in Syria for a few years and they never had a problem over there. They rather enjoyed their time there.

They told me the Syrians are affectionate people.
Even the men hold hands walking the streets.(Not gay so please)

This is bad news. President al-Assad needs to step down before more innocents die.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 2:12 pm » by mediasorcery

time to invade!!! those pesky terrorists.
the story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again my friend.

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 2:48 pm » by Proto

Suicide bomb blasts kill 55, injure 372 in Damascus

DAMASCUS: Two powerful explosions that struck Damascus on Thursday were carried out by suicide bombers and killed at least 55 people while wounding another 372, Syria's interior ministry said.

The bombers used more than 1,000 kilogrammes of explosives in their vehicles, the ministry said, cited by state television.

Previously, state media said the blasts killed 40 people and injured nearly 200.

Meanwhile the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said the toll was 59, and included civilians and regime forces.

"The toll has risen to 59 killed and hundreds of injured," the Britain-based monitor said.

The blasts took place near a nine-storey security building, the facade of which was destroyed along with several surrounding residential complexes, an AFP correspondent reported.

The blasts prompted UN observer chief Major General Robert Mood to appeal for help to end the bloodshed ravaging Syria.

Gruesome footage of the aftermath of the explosions, which rocked Qazzaz district during the morning rush hour, was aired on state television, which blamed the near simultaneous attacks on "terrorists."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 90/1/.html

-------------

Noentry wrote:That is terrible Proto

Yes it is terrible indeed .

Noentry wrote:My parents worked in Syria for a few years and they never had a problem over there. They rather enjoyed their time there.

Really ? mind if i ask in what did they worked ?

until 14 months ago Syria was completely different country .

Noentry wrote:This is bad news. President al-Assad needs to step down before more innocents die.

I dont think Assad will ever step down voluntarily , UN estimates 9000 death's in the last
14 months , the opposition and free Syrian army estimated more then 10000 dead ,
this horrible act is sadly just another day on the last year daily Syrian bloodbath .

----

'Last chance' to avoid civil war in Syria: Annan

UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan said his peace plan could be the last chance to avoid civil war in Syria, where a truce has failed to end 14 months of bloodshed that monitors say has killed nearly 12,000 people.

Annan told the UN Security Council that the priority in Syria is "to stop the killing," and expressed concern that torture, mass arrests and other human rights violations are intensifying.

Regime forces "continue to press against the population," despite a putative truce that started on April 12, but attacks are more discrete because of the presence of UN military observers, diplomats quoted him as saying.

"The biggest priority, first of all we need to stop the killing," Annan told reporters in Geneva, adding that his six-point peace plan is "the only remaining chance to stabilise the country."

Annan briefed the council on his efforts to get President Bashar al-Assad to implement the plan, which he said was possibly "the last chance to avoid civil war."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/2 ... y-in-syria

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 3:25 pm » by Noentry

Really ? mind if i ask in what did they worked ?

no I dont mind bro, they had a dress manufacturers in the UK for about 20 years.
After they moved to Cyprus about 20 years ago, they were invited to go run a massive dress manufactures in Syria.

My Mother did tell me that she did not like the way they ran the factory and some assholes used to beat the woman there.

She put a stop to that, she is bang on and she would never allow this to happen.
They all loved her over there, they used to call her MAMA( or something to this effect).
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 3:33 pm » by Proto

Thanks for sharing bro , very interesting .
i live 20 minutes car ride from Syria , so close yet so far ,
wished i could go visit and see how it's like in there (hopefully
in more peaceful times) .

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 3:45 pm » by Noentry

Proto wrote:Thanks for sharing bro , very interesting .
i live 20 minutes car ride from Syria , so close yet so far ,
wished i could go visit and see how it's like in there (hopefully
in more peaceful times) .

I hope this peace comes soon proto. It looks like it is coming close to being genocide.
Your right about al-Assad, he will not go voluntarily.
The last two elections he has won, there was no opposition to him. I could be wrong I remember reading it somewhere
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostThu May 10, 2012 3:54 pm » by Proto

Noentry wrote:I hope this peace comes soon proto. It looks like it is coming close to being genocide.

Yeah , i hope so too ,although it does'nt look good at all at the moment .

Noentry wrote:Your right about al-Assad, he will not go voluntarily.
The last two elections he has won, there was no opposition to him. I could be wrong I remember reading it somewhere

The elections in Syria are just for shows , Assad junior inherited the control from his father ,
The Assad family rules Syria for decades.
it's seems more like monarchy or a dictatorial government then anything else .