Teachers able to confiscate mobile phones to control pupils

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 1:15 am » by Dragonlady8

When I went to school I walked 2 miles up hill both ways.LOL <>I might be old school.but.........I respected my elders.Because my parents taught me to.I listened in school because I wanted to learn.not distrupt..I was given the leather strap because i talked in line...or was chewing gum in class...My teacher in the 3rd grade didnt like the fact that I was left handed and decided to correct that by slamming a "yard stick" over my left hand everytime i used it...I realize those are extremes.but today the bastard little thugs get away with tooooo much!!!!

:cheers:
Dogs never lie.............

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 1:19 am » by Exoatmospheric1

Hey Doc... help me here, "Teachers able to confiscate mobile phones to control pupils" How does that "control" a student..? If anything it simply sets an example that cell phones have NO place in a class room setting. Now directly searching students thats pushing it.

Writer

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 1:35 am » by Wackyal123

It's not about blowing my own trumpet "Frankenstein". It's about pointing out that people that teach aren't all autonomous machines that reel off the same stuff and have no use to anyone.
I just don't like people to categorize teachers as dumb because they teach a curriculum. At the end of the day, they are employed to do that. It doesn't make them brainwashed individuals who have some dark purpose. Teaching any subject is about teaching a set of standardized skills/facts that are predetermined to be correct through methodology. If you don't do that, then no-one learns anything. However, a better teacher then asks more of their students. Not just to reel off the facts, but to question and make their own judgement. This is how facts/skills develop and change. Certainly at my secondary school, I was taught to question rather than just accept. Perhaps some people aren't as fortunate, but I'm pretty sure that not every school is governed in such a way that they are made to produce students who can only regurgitate the same material over and over. If that were the case, would we live in an ever changing world where our knowledge of scientific, historical and personal truths change with every day that passes?
The world is far too interesting for this whole "dumbing down" of society conspiracy theory to be true. Personally, I think it's a load of tripe. My teachers were pretty cool, interesting people who would get us to look at things from a different perspective.

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 1:40 am » by Dragonlady8

I see need NO for students to have cell phones in class,they are there to learn ...not text!

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 1:48 am » by Dragonlady8

As you might guess,this topic .really pisses me off....I see TOO much POWER given to the "CHILDREN" GET IT !!!

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 2:06 am » by Frankenstein

wackyal123 wrote:It's not about blowing my own trumpet "Frankenstein". It's about pointing out that people that teach aren't all autonomous machines that reel off the same stuff and have no use to anyone.
I just don't like people to categorize teachers as dumb because they teach a curriculum. At the end of the day, they are employed to do that. It doesn't make them brainwashed individuals who have some dark purpose. Teaching any subject is about teaching a set of standardized skills/facts that are predetermined to be correct through methodology. If you don't do that, then no-one learns anything. However, a better teacher then asks more of their students. Not just to reel off the facts, but to question and make their own judgement. This is how facts/skills develop and change. Certainly at my secondary school, I was taught to question rather than just accept. Perhaps some people aren't as fortunate, but I'm pretty sure that not every school is governed in such a way that they are made to produce students who can only regurgitate the same material over and over. If that were the case, would we live in an ever changing world where our knowledge of scientific, historical and personal truths change with every day that passes?
The world is far too interesting for this whole "dumbing down" of society conspiracy theory to be true. Personally, I think it's a load of tripe. My teachers were pretty cool, interesting people who would get us to look at things from a different perspective.

Really? Do you even read your own posts?
Teaching any subject is about teaching a set of standardized skills/facts that are predetermined to be correct through methodology. If you don't do that, then no-one learns anything.

These are mind boggling, illogical and irrational statements. First of all, the 'facts' are not facts but current presumptions that are often as not incorrect within a decade. And what is predetermined, the facts or the method of teaching? Schools routinely teach children that an atom is like a mini solar system when nothing could be further from the truth.

Place a child in an interesting environment and they WILL learn, no matter what your thoughts on the matter are.

The 'dumbing' down of society is not some 'dark plan', but is a result of the desired outcome for little slaves that will do what is required of them along with infotainment and movies that dull the mind and separate people from reality.

I just don't like people to categorize teachers as dumb because they teach a curriculum. At the end of the day, they are employed to do that. It doesn't make them brainwashed individuals who have some dark purpose.

Yes they are employed to do it. But that does not mean that they are not brainwashed. How does one statement preclude the other? Do the teachers have a dark purpose in that they want to dumb kids down? Of course not. Most teachers really believe that they are helping and being a good influence on society. It doesn't make it true, but it is what they really believe.

And as to not wanting to blow your own trumpet:
I myself have a 1st class honours degree in Digital Animation and a Masters Degree in Computer Art

have taught over 200 students the difficult subject of computer graphics

then gone on to work at an oscar winning visual effects studio

Not only this, but I have taught college students with aspergers syndrome and autism.

All of the above experiences were very difficult to achieve

Some people simply aren't interested in further/higher education but go to get free money which comes out of MY pay that I have invested in and got into debt to achieve.

It is all about YOU. Quite a lot of self aggrandizement.
Also, you fit well into the 'box' of modern society. You are well suited to this world as it is.

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 2:13 am » by Frankenstein

dragonlady8 wrote:When I went to school I walked 2 miles up hill both ways.LOL ...
You forgot to add
"backwards, on my knees , barefoot and carrying a tablespoon of water home so my family had something to drink."

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 2:17 am » by E6722maj

frankenstein wrote:
dragonlady8 wrote:When I went to school I walked 2 miles up hill both ways.LOL ...
You forgot to add
"backwards, on my knees , barefoot and carrying a tablespoon of water home so my family had something to drink."

..and when i got home dad used to cut us in two wi' a breadknife.
whatever

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 2:17 am » by Dragonlady8

LOL @Frank..forgive me ....I forgot about the "blizzards" I had to endure.lol...I am Canadian.

Initiate

PostSun Mar 27, 2011 2:23 am » by Frankenstein

e6722maj wrote:
frankenstein wrote:
You forgot to add

..and when i got home dad used to cut us in two wi' a breadknife.

"YOU WERE LUCKY MATE"
(doing my best at a Monty Python quote).

PreviousNext