Teachers able to confiscate mobile phones to control pupils

Master Conspirator

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 1:41 pm » by Drjones

Teachers able to confiscate mobile phones to control disruptive pupils
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... upils.html :rtft:
Teachers will be able to confiscate pupils' mobile phones and iPods if they consider them disruptive.

As well as increasing their ability to confiscate pupils' possessions teachers will be able to search pupils and forcibly remove disruptive children from the classroom.

Folks.... :vomit: :help:

Initiate

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 1:50 pm » by Stratosfear

Well, I for one don't have a problem with that. I fail to see why disruptive children should be able to impede those children who do want to learn. The disruptive children would really benefit from one to one tuition/help (although I don't suppose schools have the luxury to provide that).
Image "In the wardrobe of my soul ... in the section labelled 'Shirts'"

Master Conspirator

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:11 pm » by Boondox681

first off,what grade?i know 10year olds with cell phones.
i also have no problem with it.
if i go into a courtroom or even a theater,i have to turn off my phone.
20 years ago,the excuse-it's for emergencies-was valid,
now it's for texting bullshit and sending naked pictures.
for centuries kids have went to school,had emergencies and handled them just fine...without phones.
school is for learning,not fuckin' around.
technology has made us lazy and complacent...just like they planned

peace jonesy and good a.m. :flop:
"I wish i was there when the horse was stole,but I reckon I'll see the tracks when I get there"
-Abraham Lincoln

Initiate

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:12 pm » by Minihaha

Class doesn't seem to me to be the place to have your cell phone. I don't think the teachers can keep them forever if they have been confiscated. Although I did have a teacher in elementary school who swiped one of my children's encyclopedia books. I brought it to school, she told me how much she liked it, asked to borrow it and never gave it back. What a bummer lesson to learn in grade 4, to top it off my whole family blamed me for loosing one of the books. Oh well.

Master Conspirator

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:15 pm » by Drjones

Guys you are not seeing the bigger picture here and that's why we should be against these measures. Lessons at school should be so enjoyable for the kids the last thing they should be thinking about is using thier mobile phone. Anyway this is yet ANOTHER stepping stone toward the fascist state, and you all seem to support this ?... :bang;

'school is for learning,not fuckin' around.'

YES, but the kids learn NOTHING these days, by design, they learn nothing about mortgages, the monetary system... how to grow food, the environment, the earth, the sun the moon the stars, spirituality... etc

Initiate

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:20 pm » by Stratosfear

drjones wrote:Guys you are not seeing the bigger picture here and that's why we should be against these measures. Lessons at school should be so enjoyable for the kids the last thing they should be thinking about is using thier mobile phone. Anyway this is yet ANOTHER stepping stone toward the fascist state, and you all seem to support this ?... :bang;

I disagree. When I was at school (warning: possibility of cliches, although true, ahead), we had canings, the slipper, those big wooden blackboard rubbers thrown at us, and so on. Nothing like that now and confiscating disruptive children's phones or ejecting them out of the classroom isn't in the same league and hardly the path to a fascist state. School used to be a lot tougher than now.
Image "In the wardrobe of my soul ... in the section labelled 'Shirts'"

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:25 pm » by Thruster

As far as I am aware the school rules (for Scotland anyway) as far as mobile phones etc are:

Phones etc switched off and out of sight for the duration of registration and all classroom times.

If it's heard by the teacher ringing or the pupil is seen using the device, it is taken away by the teacher and can only be collected by the parent/guardian.

If you are saying that teachers are taking away these appliances from disruptive children as a punishment even when they are complyng with the swithed off/ out of sight rule, that would be something different.

Initiate

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:35 pm » by Frankenstein

Frankly, I think that the school system is nul and void anyway. Teachers are for the most part not very bright and the entire system has very little to do with education and a whole lot to do with brainwashing and conditioning. This is nothing new. When I was 8, I had an argument with my teacher and got in trouble because she insisted that gigantic was pronounced 'jijantic'. Things went down hill from there.

I would not submit my children to the schooling system no matter what.

Master Conspirator

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:37 pm » by Drjones

frankenstein wrote:Frankly, I think that the school system is nul and void anyway. Teachers are for the most part not very bright and the entire system has very little to do with education and a whole lot to do with brainwashing and conditioning. This is nothing new. When I was 8, I had an argument with my teacher and got in trouble because she insisted that gigantic was pronounced 'jijantic'. Things went down hill from there.

I would not submit my children to the schooling system no matter what.

Absolutely it is and well all know it ....but most of us send OUR kids to school because we are AFRAID not to. FEAR rules the world. :| The thing i abdolutely hate about the school system is the submissive state of being required, you MUST submit to the teacher, to the school rules and never question it... :headscratch:

Initiate

PostSat Mar 26, 2011 2:39 pm » by Bigdad

They've been doing this in our school district here already.The first I knew of this was five years ago when my daughter got her phone ''confiscated''!!!Cost me $15 to get it back.When this happened I asked the Administration Office Receptionist what they did with the $15 and she said it goes in a ''fund'' for the teachers!!! Now what the HELL!!!! So that tells me it's just an ''Incentive''for the teachers!!! Now this has happened to cost me a total of $285 in her four years of High School.Doesn't seem like much but you add all the other students in and the amount could be in the thousands!!! That's one helluva ''FUND!!!
Do as I say,not as you think!

Next