Terrifying video of a near collision...

Master Conspirator

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 9:29 am » by *WillEase*

...between fighter jet and airliner. :o
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/terrifying-vi ... @jesusdiaz

There's not a lot details of this video of a near collision between a fighter jet and an airliner. Taken from the fighter's cockpit, it seems that the pilot—who is Italian—was completely taken by surprise. It could have been a full frontal hit.

Imagine the face of the pilots in the airliner.

My italoñolo is rusty, but it seems that the pilot says that he saw it at the last second and wasn't expecting it. Then air traffic control asks him to check his course and change altitude, but I may be mistaken. Any Italians care to translate the conversation in the comments?

Upload to Disclose.tv

The site owner Lukas said I could show you how to makes hundreds of dollars in your spare time like I do.
If you would like to get yours too, PM me and I WILL hook you up.

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 2:21 pm » by Toxic32

From what I can gather the fighter had not switched on his transponder which identifies him on the radar. Never the less when he switched to air-traffic control Rome he should have been picked up as an anomaly and asked to id his aircraft. I did her the air-traffic tell him to switch on his transponder (squawk) which his number two did. The minuet he did air traffic asked him to confirm his altitude as 32000 feet, he said negative 36000 feet. He was then told to immediately descend to 32000 feet. I'm not sure if military aircraft have to log a flight plan with air traffic. During exercises military aircraft don't have there transponder on. Near death experience however you look at it. I would say the the fighter pilot was in error for not following proper procedures. No consolation if your dead I know.
Invictus maneo

Initiate

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 6:14 pm » by Just a thought

The commercial airliner would have a TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system) but of course if the transponder is shut off in the fighter jet the TCAS is useless. Still the fighter jet would have its own style of TCAS plus its onboard radar system. The commercial airliners transponder was on. I mean who would buy a jet fighter without an onboard radar system, kind of hard to find the enemy without it. The other possibility is the fighter pilot was hot dogging and should be grounded and court marshaled. One more thing is this an Italian fighter pilot flying an American fighter jet? The heads up display is in English.

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 pm » by Endless16

Just a thought wrote:is this an Italian fighter pilot flying an American fighter jet? The heads up display is in English.

Italy uses American built UAV's & Transports, but I'm guessing by the maneuverability shown in the evasive action that this would be the British Tornado or EF2000. (Which they helped design.)
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Initiate

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 9:56 pm » by Just a thought

Endless16 wrote:
Just a thought wrote:is this an Italian fighter pilot flying an American fighter jet? The heads up display is in English.

Italy uses American built UAV's & Transports, but I'm guessing by the maneuverability shown in the evasive action that this would be the British Tornado or EF2000. (Which they helped design.)

Thanks for the reply.
I know in the 60s and early 70s the US was giving Spain F4s as part of the deal to have bases in Spain. When a warning would go off the Spanish pilots wouldn’t know what they were and would eject and let the jet crash where ever. Nine time out of ten the warning was for something minor. To stop this Franco had the ejection system disarmed in the jets forcing the pilots to learn what the warnings were and how to correct them or go down with the jet. Needless to say they didn’t lose that many F4s after that.