Tesco to stock GM potato

Master Conspirator

PostMon Feb 16, 2009 4:28 pm » by Drjones

theshee wrote:I grow my own so Im ok :wink: My Dad has the same eating habits as Alex by all accounts and I have to say he NEVER gets a sniffle or anything. I personally think you should eat what you fancy so to speak, don't eat what others tell you too. Learn to listen to your own body... it has much to say :flop:

Yeah i'll be planting my veg in around 4 weeks from now...Horrahh... :sunny:
Yeah eat what you like,do what you like...the real point here is FREEDOM TO CHOOSE...
NOTHING should be mandatory,i soo believe this,yet so many things are :bang;

Super Moderator

PostMon Feb 16, 2009 5:15 pm » by domdabears

I'm gonna grow my own this spring. All sorts of potatoes. Cant wait!!

Master Conspirator

PostMon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 pm » by Drjones

domdabears wrote:I'm gonna grow my own this spring. All sorts of potatoes. Cant wait!!

Hey Dom i found a great place for you to get THE VERY BEST seeds..

ww.monsanto.com ...heard of them :?: :lol:

:lol:

Just tryin to help out m8.... :lol:

:cheers:

Initiate

PostTue Feb 17, 2009 1:04 am » by Alexrubic

drjones wrote:"Modern cultivated fruit bears no relation to wild fruits. They are 'designed' to be very high in fructose (fruit sugar) and this sugar HAS been shown, in scientific studies, to be highly correlated with metabolic dysfunction leading to syndrome X, diabetes, heart disease and stroke."

Alex if you would'nt mind explaining the part where you say "Modern cultivated fruits are DESIGNED to be very high in sugar".

I take it you are talking about Organic produce here and not just GMO's :?:
I'm all ears, :lol:

I agree that too much sugar is a bad thing,i tend to find it useful though with all the exercise i do...it puts it to good use... :!:

No, I'm not talking about GMO specifically. All modern plant foods - fruits and vegetables - have been selectively bred or hybridised since the dawn of agriculture some 10,000 years ago. They bear little if any resemblance to their wild counterparts (should they still even exist!).

Take a familiar fruit like apples. A truly wild apple is a crab apple - I think you will agree they are not the most palatable fruit! They are small, thick-skinned, hard and quite sour or bitter.

By careful cultivation you can make any number of varieties of eating apple that are large, thin-skinned, juicy and sweet. They have a higher sugar content and a higher fructose to glucose ratio.

Most apples can only be cultivated by taking a cutting from one tree and grafting it to the root stock of another. The seeds from any apple - if planted and allowed to grow into a fruit bearing tree - will yield apples pretty much like crab apples! In other words they tend to devolve back to their wild progenitor!

Plants - including edible plants like fruits and vegetables - contain a wide array of anti-nutrients and toxins. Potatoes and tomatoes, for instance, are closely related to the deadly nightshade family (Solanaceae). You should never eat raw potato or, especially, green potato - even when cooked - as it is toxic and can make you quite ill!
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

James Thomson (1700-1748)

Conspirator

PostTue Feb 17, 2009 7:05 am » by Dirtyrabbit

http://www.plantea.com/genetically-modified-foods.htm

As reported by Maria Gallagher, in the June 26, 2002 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer, by reading the PLU code, you can tell if the fruit was genetically modified, organically grown or produced with chemical fertilizers, fungicides, or herbicides.

Here's how it works:

For conventionally grown fruit, (grown with chemicals inputs), the PLU code on the sticker consists of four numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 9. Genetically engineered (GM) fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 8. For example,
A conventionally grown banana would be:

An organic banana would be:

A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be:

The numeric system was developed by the Produce Electronic Identification Board, an affiliate of the Produce Marketing Association, a Newark, Delaware-based trade group for the produce industry. As of October 2001, the board had assigned more than 1,200 PLUs for individual produce items.
Incidentally, the adhesive used to attach the stickers is considered food-grade, but the stickers themselves aren't edible.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2166644_avoid-g ... ables.html
Read the PLU labels. If the five digit PLU number starts with “8,” the food is either genetically modified or genetically engineered. Don’t buy it. Please note that all fruit has a four digit PLU code. This number tells you what kind of fruit it is. If the PLU code has five numbers, the first number represents either organic (8) or genetically modified (9).
Step2
Shop at natural food stores. Shopping at a natural or organic food store does not eliminate the possibility of purchasing genetically modified food, although it does increase the possibility of having a wider variety of non-genetically modified fruits and vegetables.
Step3
Purchase a share of a Community Support Agriculture (CSA). Basically, a CSA share is purchasing a portion of a farmer’s harvest. The farmer provides you with a basket full of fruits and vegetables every week. Sometimes, CSA can also offer raw milk and fresh eggs. Some farmers, like those at Common Good Farms in Nebraska, refuse to grow genetically modified fruit and vegetables. Be sure to ask your farmer before you purchase the share!
Step4
Buy direct from the farmer. You can ask the farmer at your local farmer’s market if they grow non-GMO produce. If they don’t know, don’t buy. Be aware that most seeds and plants out there today are genetically modified or engineered.
Step5
Grow your own produce. Look in the seed catalog or on the package for the “Non-GMO” label. If there is no label, you can assume that the seed or plant is genetically modified. Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company and Seed Savers Exchange have an excellent selection of non-GMO seeds, as well as a beautiful array of heirloom varieties.

Master Conspirator

PostTue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 am » by Drjones

I'm sorry Alex,i think you have lost the plot with regards to fruit and veg :headscratch: :ohno: ...potatoes :?: ....in particular the sweet potato is exceptionally nutritious,i can even believe that they do contain toxic elements,like fresh fish does but the benefits of eating far outweight the negatives for me of not eating when it comes to fruit and veg,especially if it is organically produced. :flop:
Next subejct........i'm proud to be a fruit and vegetable consumer...and i absolutely love potatoes and like i say the sweet potato is my favourite..organic only of course :banana:

Initiate

PostTue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 pm » by Alexrubic

I can assure you I have not lost the plot! I have studied this subject for the last 6 years and put it into practice over the last 3. There are far more qualified researchers studying these questions and publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals who have reached the same conclusions as I have.

Aside from anti-nutrients - which prevent you from absorbing nutrients - most nutrients in plants are not readily bio-available to us. For instance (just one of many!), if you rely on beta carotene (the pro-vitamin A in vegetables like carrots, yellow peppers, etc.) for your vitamin A (retinol) you will be deficient - no matter how much beta carotene the vegetable contains - because the human body is not very efficient at converting the carotene into retinol (which is the only form of vitamin A it can readily use).

It's like any other element covered on Disclose.tv....do you believe the mainstream propaganda and take it at face value or do you seriously investigate these things for yourself?

Here's a good article to start with: Spilling The Beans: The Trouble with Soy

Having said that, if you enjoy eating your fruit and veg, I wouldn't dream of dissuading you - each to their own!
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

Master Conspirator

PostTue Feb 17, 2009 4:18 pm » by Drjones

:lol: :lol:

Thanks m8...

Why are fruits and vegetables good for you?

Eating fruits and vegetables is healthy, most agree. But scientists hoping to discover reasons for the health benefits have invited medical and horticultural researchers to a forum to exchange information.

The second International Symposium on Human Health Effects of Fruit and Vegetables will be Aug. 18-21 at the Loews Le Concorde here.

Organizers expect more than 150 scientists from 28 countries to hear presentations about the effect of fruit and vegetable consumption on the prevention or cure of common diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative ailments, according to conference organizers.

"Our lifestyles have changed and so have (our) eating habits ... and not necessarily for the better," said Dr. Bhimu Patil, director of Texas A&M University's Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center. "Great interest has surged worldwide on the role fruits and vegetables have on health."
:?:

also...

The human body needs to get a number of different compounds from food, to keep us healthy, fit and active. This is just a brief look at what fruits and vegetables have to offer.

Fruits and vegetables provide us with a range of compounds, many of which have more than one role, being involved both with immediate good health and with protection against diseases that develop over a long period of time, such as cancer, heart conditions, stroke and diabetes.

Vitamins are essential substances that the human body cannot make for itself so we have to get them from food. Profound deficiency quickly leads to serious illness and lower-than-optimum intake will affect general well-being and quality of life. The fat-soluble vitamins A, E and K are stored by the body so although regular intake is needed this does not have to be everyday. Vitamin A is essential for growth and normal function of the retina of the eye. Red, orange and yellow fruits and vegetables are a good source of pro-vitamin A, which is converted in the body. Vitamin E, found in vegetable oils, seed oils, cereals and avocado pears, is a potent antioxidant, involved in the formation of body tissues. Vitamin K, found in fresh green vegetables and fruit, is necessary for normal blood clotting.

The water-soluble vitamins B and C, are not stored in the body so must be eaten frequently to maintain good health. Vitamin B is made up of several compounds essential for a healthy metabolism. Green leafy vegetables, mushrooms and fruit are good sources. The complex comprises B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12 (folate) and B3 (niacin). These vitamins have been traditionally grouped together because of similarities in their properties and functions.

Vitamin C is needed for healthy gums, teeth and bones and it helps to speed up wound healing. Acute-deficiency leads to scurvy. Vitamin C, along with vitamin E, is a potent antioxidant; it has a role in enhancing the action of vitamin E and in aiding the absorption of iron. Good sources of vitamin C are citrus fruits, berries, blackcurrants, sweet peppers and green, leafy vegetables. Potatoes contain modest amounts of vitamin C but they are a useful source as we eat them regularly and in fairly large proportions.

:banana: (A dancing bannana,how appropriate).. :lol:

I respect your views as always Alex... :flop: ....you are of the few people on disclose that leave posts that i always enjoying reading... :cheers:

This is all just information at the end of the day,the more the better i say...
I found the following a good read.. :dancing: (Sorry).. :lol:

The energy fruit contains is in the form of natural sugars.
The burning of these sugars is a 'clean' process.How?

The burning process & sugar in fruit
Everything you eat or drink has to be digested to extract the energy from it.
Your body can extract energy from food in two ways:
Burning with oxygen, for sugar and fat (fruit);
Burning without oxygen, for proteins (meat/dairy).
- Burning with oxygen,for sugar and fat (fruit)
The energy fruit contains is in the form of sugars (glucose). Your body can easily turn this glucose into energy by using oxygen. When the body burns the sugars with the help of oxygen there are waste products produced.
The waste products of this chemical reaction are water and carbon-dioxide. Your body can use the water and disposes of the carbon-dioxide through the lungs by breathing.
It is a very quick, clean and easy way to extract energy.

Your body does an excellent job: it extracts 50% of the energy. A combustion engine about 10 to 20%, the rest is lost through heat.

Fruit juice takes only about 15 minutes and raw fruit about 30 minutes to digest!

- Burning without oxygen, for proteins (meat/dairy)
Proteins are burnt in a different way. The energy that for instance meat, milk and dairy contain consists of proteins and animal fat. The largest part consists of proteins and the conversion of proteins into energy is more difficult and costs more energy than the conversion of sugar and fat into energy.

When the body burns proteins other waste products are produced than with the burning of sugars. The waste product of the burning-process without oxygen is ammonia which is connected with carbon-dioxide and forms the less toxic ureum which is excreted by the kidneys. It's a more cumbersome way to extract energy.

A steak can take up to 8 or 10 hours to digest, especially when eaten in combination with potatoes. In comparison to fruit (30 minutes) a lot of energy is lost to the digestion of proteins and this means that you can't use that energy for other things. Thinking or the disposing of toxins for example.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proteins
When it comes to fruit and vegetables people tend to say: "But what about my proteins? I need them." We all know that we need proteins, because proteins are an important building material for our cells. We also know that meat, dairy and eggs contain many proteins, so we say that we have to eat meat, dairy and eggs to stay healthy.
We have three arguments that prove that the human body doesn't need that much proteins:

The fruitarians;
Babies;
Amino acids.
- The fruitarians
The vegetarians (no meat), vegans (no animal products) and fruitarians (only fruit) do not consume food that contain many proteins. They live a healthy life without big doses of proteins and look younger too!
Proteins are important though and the best source of protein is from the same raw fruits and vegetables that provide all the other nutrients: vitamins, minerals, enzymes and carbohydrates. Although fruit and vegetables contain less proteins than other nutrition, about 15 to 20 times less than for instance meat, the best way to get all these nutrients, including protein, is to eat a well-balanced variety of fresh, raw fruits and vegetables.
For the exact amount of proteins in fruit see: contents of fruit

Amino-acids
Proteins consist of amino acids and our body uses 20 different amino-acids. There are 8 amino-acids that our body cannot produce itself. They are called the essential amino-acids and our bodies have to obtain them through nutrition. There are many fruits and vegetables that contain all of the eight essential amino acids in the single fruit or veg. This means that it's not necessary to consume animal products to obtain the proteins that contain the essential amino acids our body needs. The following fruits and vegetables contain all 8 essential amino acids:
-Fruits: Bananas, tomatoes, cucumbers.
-Vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots (also good for the memory), corn, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, okra, peas, summer squash and kale

Also be sure to check out FRUIT and the MEMORY,i said also remember to check out FRUIT and the MEMORY here.. :lol: who knows..huh

http://www.thefruitpages.com/students.shtml

Oh yeah i have to mention SALUNA...she left a comment a short time ago about meat and potatoes and i was like..huh...what you on... :?: ...but now i read... :look:

The combination of proteins (meat) and starch (potatoes). These two foods are burnt in a different way. It will cost your body more energy to burn them together than apart from each other.
:cheers:

Initiate

PostWed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 am » by Alexrubic

A lot of that information is a little too 'pat'. Aerobic and anaerobic cellular respiration is not quite so straight forward as that implies!

The cleanest 'burning' (we actually do not 'burn' any fuel in our bodies but that is the term most commonly used!) fuel substrate is actually ketone bodies - not glucose - which are derived from the metabolism of fats in the liver. When glucose (blood sugar) is used as a fuel substrate it actually releases a lot of 'free radicals' (or reactive oxygen species) which damage the DNA of the mitochondria (the 'furnaces' that 'burn' this fuel for energy!).

All cells actually use ATP (adenosine triphosphate) as the prime energy source. The other substrates: glucose, fatty acids, ketones, amino acids, etc. merely replenish this fuel. Fats actually produce more ATP per gram than glucose, though it is a longer process.

The healthiness of fruit stuff sounds like it was plucked from a vegetarian/vegan website ('frutarian', for instance is rarely used outside of this arena). You need to do some serious study using PubMed or similar.

Master Conspirator

PostWed Feb 18, 2009 8:22 pm » by Drjones

Yes Alex contrary to what your "superior" intellectual powers may tell you :lol: I really DO participate in proper research.. :help: :think: :headscratch:

PreviousNext