The American Community Survey

Initiate

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 1:04 am » by Shifthappens

I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I could use some feedback if anyone out there knows of this Census Bureau questionaire. It's called 'The American Community Survey'. I understand they send out several thousand of these every month.

About 2 months ago I received my Census questionaire. Filled it out and mailed back. Then a few weeks later I received another 28 page 'census survey'. It had 49 questions for each person living in my household. I started to fill it out until it got to personal questions like what time do I drive to work, how long is the drive, who did I work for, how much is your real estate taxes, how much does it cost for your utilities, how much is your home worth, etc. I tore it up and discarded. A few weeks later I got another of the same. It said that it is required by law and if not answered or give false info you can be prosecuted and forced to do 5 years in jail and a $250,000 fine. It also stated that if I did not respond someone would be calling or come to my residence. I don't like this at all. Filling out a census is one thing but asking 49 'additional' personal questions about each person in my home is too much.

Has anyone received this form also and am I too paranoid? Any advice would be appreciated but please don't respond if you're going to make some sarcastic or inappropriate comment which happens sometimes on this forum.

Thanks. :nails:

Initiate

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 2:04 am » by Strider2

According to wiki..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey

the fine is...
"not more than $5,000. To date, no person has ever been charged with a crime for refusing to answer the ACS survey, which several U.S. Representatives have challenged as unauthorized by the census act and violative of the Right to Financial Privacy Act."

Have things changed? Maybe post a scan of your letter (blank out your personal details) - I think people would like to see it.

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 2:18 am » by Harbin

Looks like a scam to get all your personal info.
Don't fill it out.
Contact your state Attorney General's Office.
Antiwar.com

Initiate

PostTue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 pm » by Shifthappens

In case you haven't heard of this before beware! This is freakin' scary. You're next.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-acs ... survey.htm :scary:

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 27, 2010 12:11 am » by Harbin

No goddamn way. :nope:
Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostWed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 am » by Thebluecanary

Some people I know got these. Most of my co-workers who got one just filled it out and sent it back with no qualms. I just got the regular census, and I didn't even fill that out. I know that the census takers came to the house in an attempt to get their information because they left a chit on the door, but by that time I was in the process of moving out of that house, so....

I realize the census is supposed to be harmless or beneficial, but it comes off as creepy to me anyway.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt