The edge of space (IF there is one)

Initiate

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm » by Shendao

I didn't want to requote everything...

Willynumbnuts wrote:You are quite right, 'comprehension' is everything, like percepetion. The answer (if there is one) may lay within the concept of 'The Soul' and in a totally non-religious way.

Yes, I noted the similarities and agreements, and the quote above is, for me, the true crux of understanding. I hold no religious ideology on the concepts of soul and I perceive the soul to be an independent viewpoint within a larger unknown, to me at least, form. A sort of experiential fractal perhaps.

If time is an illusion of the human experience then space, which is dependent upon time, must also be an illusion. Distance means nothing if the time of traveling that distance is absent. I believe the conscious observation of the event causes the event to become 'real', part of the string of events we regard as linear time. Yet each event has a possibility of being viewed differently, but, those never become part of our linear time experience. Again, observation and comprehension seem to dictate reality.

Perception allows multiple streams to exist through a process of logic, yet we may still decide not to follow that/those logical progressions. At some point we make a choice that may not be logical but emotional.

I don't want to take the OP off thread so I'll try to keep on topic.

There was an elderly lady living in my village some years back. The village was actually a collection of farms with not real centre to it but we had a small shop, pub and chapel. The lady never left the village, ever. She would walk the mile to the shop and chapel everyday, yet had never seen a town or city. Her reality was that small space and the edge of it extended one mile from home. For her the universe ended there. When she died she was buried in the cemetery near the chapel. I often wondered about her world, its borders and truths, but she was not in the habit of passing the time of day.

Because of her I began to believe that the true edge of our 'verse is defined by the experience of it and not just the 'knowing' of it. If that is true the the 'verse is a lot smaller than we think :)
You are an immortal being, so stop freaking out about losing another body!

Initiate

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 pm » by Willynumbnuts

I don't want to take the OP off thread so I'll try to keep on topic.

Yes, your quite right there. But nevertheless an interesting post reply. Thank you. :flop:

The story you quote is quite interesting in that it's a microcosm for the beginnings of a great Ancient Religion. What the Ancient Egyptians comprehended and perceived about the environment in which they existed fashioned their social and religious thinking.

For many, the NILE was the source of life as was the Sun. They created their society, and their lives around these entities. Just like the old lady did (all be it, on a smaller scale!) within the confines of 'her' village and 'her' perception of reality.

We understand our reality through our experiences (including that of human's long passed away) and our perception of that reality.

Here's a clever little ad from some years ago.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Just imagine a human observing existance, and seeing only the first few seconds of it.........

:cheers:
"When you do something to help the world like.....like i wrote a book on how to cure eyesight,"
Oreocannon

Initiate

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 2:42 pm » by Chillitiger

Kinninigan wrote::look:

Audiobook: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Upload to Disclose.tv

Published on Sep 15, 2011 by audiobookmturk19

the answer is "42"

Actually any theory is just a crazy as this one

:lol:

:peep:

I loved the books, Loved the show, even had the pc game (bet you didn't know they made one)!

And I think I have a Zaphoid complex!

:dancing: :dancing:
Yes i'll admit it.... I think Max Keiser is a LEGEND

Conspirator

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 11:04 pm » by Doogle

Boatman wrote:
Doogle wrote:I was talking to someone the other day about things that are possible, implausible and improbable. We were arguing about life in the universe and he was going on about no proof etc and our current understanding of physics ruling out interstellar travel and at first I tried to explain that it was only our "current" understanding, but he was having none of it.

Then I asked him "OK, if we know it all, tell me, if we could travel to the furthest point in space, what would we find?" He called me a twat. Fair enough, or not.

But it's an age old, and mind boggling thought, and one that never seems to bore, well not me anyway.

So, smart asses, what do you think we would find if we could travel to the furthest reaches of space, and time if you will? If it is eternal, how do you explain it?

No proof necessary (in this case).

I'm not being Funny here Doogle my mate, i am just trying to explain it the best way i know how.
Your mate has got the age old problem "He can't grasp what's beyond his nose". That person thinks we are the centre of the Universe, and a problem like that they just can't handle, it's too much for him.

Or on the other hand he's like "Zaphod Beeblebrox" from "Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy" he is so far up himself that the Universe, and its vastness is second place to his ego.

I know Boatboy, closed minds.

Conspirator

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 pm » by Doogle

Some truly brilliant posts.

The idea of us creating our own or collective realities and it's limits (or not) is intriguing to say the least.

Bubble theory?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-universe

Loosely connected - anyone familiar with the phrase "Godverse"?
I think it was Nigel Kerner that coined the phrase in his books about the "greys" where he tries to explain how the universe, as well as having multi dimensions, has a level, or dimension, of just conciousness, where the physical can and does tap into, i.e. us and our souls if you will and that they can exist independent of each other, or something like that (it's late); Validating "life after death" in a way.
From what I can gather, "Godverse" isn't referring to deity, but rather a oneness from where our conciousness originates and maintains a connection with at all times.

Super Moderator

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm » by -Marduk-

...the center of the universe cannot exist when there are no edges.

interesting thread!

:idea:
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Initiate

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 pm » by Chillitiger

Marduk2012 wrote:...the center of the universe cannot exist when there are no edges.

interesting thread!

:idea:

Or in infinite space there are infinite centres! :o :o
Yes i'll admit it.... I think Max Keiser is a LEGEND

Super Moderator

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm » by Slith

Even if there is an edge to space, like a wall, which I highly doubt. But if there is.......... What's beyond it?

Yeah, it's mind boggling

I'm just here for the popcorn Image

Super Moderator

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm » by The57ironman

.....i'm going with the bubble inside a bubble filled with bubbles in another bubble filled with bubbles ..etc..etc...

.....i'm under-whelmed..............Image

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 12:42 am » by Doogle

Ultimately, the whole purpose of me making this thread was to highlight the very limits of our understanding of our very existence, let alone the various hypotheses of the nature of the Universe - even though we are living it now.

And

Who knows what the possibilities are in regards to peoples' suggestions as to what is possible, and what is not; could it be that the Universe is limited to the same limits, or lack of limits, of our imagination, in that our imagination is helping to form the fabric of the universe through some kind of connection to our conciousness?

Could it be that this booze is mad as shit? Feel my pain, please. I think I know what I'm trying to say, tomorrow I probably won't.

Yeeha!!!

PreviousNext