The elephant in the living room

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 4805
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:27 am

PostMon May 17, 2010 2:46 am » by sockpuppet


Well, here's one of the elephants:

Image
Skype: nnboogies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10609
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 pm

PostMon May 17, 2010 2:49 am » by Cornbread714


sockpuppet wrote:Well, here's one of the elephants:

Image


Yeah, Monsanto is one big-ass ugly elephant... :D
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Scotland

PostMon May 17, 2010 7:28 am » by Allreadydead


psiman wrote:
allreadydead wrote:So, you don't agree that we are all humans?! :?


Well I do not. To be human is to be humane (vice versa) ... for the best route to caring for oneself within higher reason is ensuring the care for others, unless perhaps one is elite and believes respect out of fear will save them. Most people are made to be, and some people choose to stay, more like animals than humane by those who believe they need not live morals.

thepriceisright wrote:I think it should be...

MONEY'S INHUMANITY TO MAN

There is no shortage of food on this planet, and no shortage of technology to provide what we need, only a shortage of buying power. Untill we address the corrosive nature of money, this will never end.

Look inside/outside as much as you want, you wont fix it untill we get rid of money and the corruption and inequality it brings with it.


Money was not made by Man ... as in all humankind which you are making it to sound like. It was devised and implemented by rulers (the fewest) and is enforced by the elite (the few) so much so and for so long it has become second nature as a means of control. The fewest with the few have asserted themselves in the pinnacle of selfish motives and decided to force then, as they do now, how things will be for the majority.

This is not about animal instincts (and the greater abundance of choiciest morsels), it is about control over everything possible.

So then it is not Man, it is not Money. It is more than that because at the roots it has corruption, inequality, selfishness, ignorance and control.

"THE FEWS' (FUSES) INHUMANITY TO MAN"

AND THE FEW, ESPECIALLY THE FEWEST, ARE MORE ALIEN TO ME THAN ANY LOCAL ILLEGAL ALIENS AND JUST AS MUCH AS EXTRATERRESTRIALS MIGHT BE (to reference Hawking notionality).

I may have signed up, but I did not put the elephant of inhumanity in my living room and it is the kind of thing that needs to be removed by a unified force that has power equivalent to those who put it there. Now if you are talking about my personal pygmy elephants that is different.


@psiman - You answered my question by saying that you don't agree that we're all human - I grant you there have, and still are, many humans that are not humane, but their still human!
Because I seem to remember that the last person I can think of, who said that some humans were not, in fact human - was good ole Adolph Hitler!!

Yep, old Adolph justified his mass murder by first declaring his victims "were not human" and so it was open season - I take it you are not calling up Hitlers policies on 'Non-Human's' to support what you say? :o

And back to money? - You say the elite made it - who are the elite?
MEN & WOMEN - that's right, apparantly not very humane, but nevertheless, HUMANS.

So, back to the original topic of this thread:

Man's inhumanity to man - the elephant sitting in the living room.

or maybe I should have said:

Humanity's Inhumanity to humanity - But it's hasn't quite got the 'ring' about - I much prefer 'Man'............
:mrgreen:

By the way: "Now if you are talking about my personal pygmy elephants that is different."
That quote I loved! I have several sitting in my room at the moment, watching me very closely...... :D
Image
Image

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Scotland

PostMon May 17, 2010 8:32 am » by Allreadydead


@psiman said:
You can be a guilty as you want for humanities core problems but I will not.


You just admitted that you cannot see 'the elephant in the living room' - even after all this, just by saying those four final words "but I will not".

Every human can use that - everyone else is responsible for the world's problems - "but I will not".

Now do you see what the purpose of this thread was? :think:


Ps. As for the 'Hitler' jibe - When people start talking about some humans not being human, then shock therapy is applied - quickly - and you answered that one, because I shocked you into it. 'pathetic?' - no - fecking worked? - Yes. Normally moderate? - all the time. ;)
Image

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Scotland

PostMon May 17, 2010 9:33 am » by Allreadydead


@psiman said:
Sorry, no dice. Strike two.


Image

Well, firstly this is a 'philosophy' thread and therefore by it's nature we're discussing abstracts, the human condition, it's problems and I started the thread with a comment about the elephant in the sitting room and that it was 'man's inhumanity to man'.

The purpose?, to ask people if they can really see that a great deal of human suffering comes from mankind itself. That, maybe, we have a 'collective responsibility' to each other and maybe even debate to what level that should go. But the basic idea being that we are all human and maybe we should try and work things out between us.

Actually, it's a really simple idea, do I want to depress people? make them think they can't do anything? No. An old 'angle'? - Yes, but so would be using religion to start the debate.

And who are the 'authorites' of which you speak? They are human too, just like me and you, and you rightly say, they should shoulder responsibility - but if their subjects show no willinginess for change or the wish to take some responsibility themselves, why should they?

The elephant in the living room is in fact ourselves - all humanity - and we still don't wish to see it.
Image

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Scotland

PostMon May 17, 2010 10:05 am » by Allreadydead


It appears there's only me and psiman onboard here so:

Image
Image

Conspirator
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 pm

PostMon May 17, 2010 10:26 am » by Nihilgeist


allreadydead wrote:Image
Wikipedia definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_in_the_room
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

There's an Elephant in everyone's living room, it's huge, it sit's there and each one of us can see it, and very few do anything about it. They hope maybe it will somehow disappear, get up and go, it may be blocking the T.V. and playstation, or the computer, still and quiet the Elephant sits there - in all of our living rooms.

Some notice, with a little embarrassment and shame, that the elephant is crying, sobbing quietly, it's big eyes rolling in pain and despair, but still the elephant sits in our living room - and we all can see it there and few acknowledge it.

Most people know the elephants name, and because they have no real answer to why it's sitting there, they can't see it - an elephant sitting in their living room.

The elephants name?

MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN

And still the elephant sits.............


Pray harder
Five Finger Death Punch
"I'd rather you hate me, for everything I am than ever love me, for something that I'm not."

Lowsix wrote:Seriously dude..you're trash.
Always have been.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2442
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Scotland

PostMon May 17, 2010 10:36 am » by Allreadydead


psiman said:
OKay, I have to ask ...Whats up with the constant use of Mankind?

Has not our greater understanding of philosophy taken us past that term toward the use of the word humanity? Are you say it is the male ego or consiousness that is the root of all this suffering?


Well spotted! MANkind, now that's a pointer to what could come next!

Since it's your suggestion (and a good one - I may add) regarding the male ego, and the fact, sadly, MEN still really run the planet - what does the other gender think and how would THEY change things? and since it's your idea:

I suggest you boot up another thread on that very topic! :flop:

By the way, we have managed to chat here with no real abuse or swearing (well, not what I would call swearing....) and are still talking.....can you imagine if this was a 'religious' discussion!!! Jesus! (oops sorry..). :mrgreen:

You say what?


A very little bit of that 'old shock' treatment to finish on - sorry, hehehehe! :D

From the 'religious' forums:
Image

it's still very quiet around here - I wonder where the rest are......... :hmmm:
Image

Initiate
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:14 pm

PostMon May 17, 2010 12:14 pm » by Anrk0207


allreadydead wrote:Image
Wikipedia definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_in_the_room
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

There's an Elephant in everyone's living room, it's huge, it sit's there and each one of us can see it, and very few do anything about it. They hope maybe it will somehow disappear, get up and go, it may be blocking the T.V. and playstation, or the computer, still and quiet the Elephant sits there - in all of our living rooms.

Some notice, with a little embarrassment and shame, that the elephant is crying, sobbing quietly, it's big eyes rolling in pain and despair, but still the elephant sits in our living room - and we all can see it there and few acknowledge it.

Most people know the elephants name, and because they have no real answer to why it's sitting there, they can't see it - an elephant sitting in their living room.

The elephants name?

MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN

And still the elephant sits.............
images like these just fill fill my heart with a deep sadness that they are people in this world which (probably not intentionally) ignore it.I would urge people on this site just do one good thing today to make the the world a better place for someone :help: even if it's just to make someone smile when there down just be good :hugging: :cheers: :)

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:06 am

PostMon May 17, 2010 12:44 pm » by Thepriceisright


I think the fact that charities exist negates the statement "man's inhumanity to man", to a certain degree.
Or the fact that organised events such as live aid occured, shows most definitely that it is not a natural tendancy to ignore such isssues illustrated in the first pictures posted.

But look at what happened with the funds raised at Live Aid.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8535189.stm

I can imagine some of you reading this will be thinknig, "again, a classic example of man's inhumanity to man" - but what we are witnessing is the symptom of a problem, not the root cause of it. I think it was an accurate statement "the few's inhumanity to man". You were definitely right, money was implemented by the few to control the many. And yes it was probably a man made creation from the word go. We could dicuss how and why it came about for a long time.

But my point here is...

While there is money - corruption and inequality will exist.

So in my view, we have 2 choices (as humankind).

1 - We accept that the notion of money brings with it famine, war, poverty, corruption etc (which seem to be what's happned). And accept that there will always be a struggle to even out the effects of the mechanics of money.

2 - Or we try and figure out how we can run this planet without it.

As we seem to have collectively chosen option 1 - we must put up with what we see in the pictures.

There are many moves we or the governments can make to try to even out the inequalities, or to try and bring solution to the problems, but even with complete success...it wont be the end of it. It is a constant in the equation.


PreviousNext

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook