The End of White America

Super Moderator

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 4:17 pm » by -Marduk-

The Election of Barack Obama is just the most startling manifestation of a larger trend: the gradual erosion of “whiteness” as the touchstone of what it means to be American. If the end of white America is a cultural and demographic inevitability, what will the new mainstream look like—and how will white Americans fit into it? What will it mean to be white when whiteness is no longer the norm? And will a post-white America be less racially divided—or more so? by Hua Hsu

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200901/end-of-whiteness

Now we have an article “The End of White America” written by Hua Hsu, an Assistant Professor of English at Vassar College. The article is a rather depressing display of what passes for intellectual discourse on the most important question confronting white people in America.

Hsu begins by quoting a passage in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby in which a character, Tom Buchanan, states: “Have you read The Rise of the Colored Empires by this man Goddard?” … Well, it’s a fine book, and everybody ought to read it. The idea is if we don’t look out the white race will be—will be utterly submerged. It’s all scientific stuff; it’s been proved.”

For the media, the less whites think about their coming minority status, the better
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Conspirator

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 5:04 pm » by Towelie

I realy dont agree with anything like this, its closet racism, worrying about what a specific colour of people will be like, instead of just thinking of them as people were put bak as colours. Normaly i can atleast say well i understand where its coming from, not in this case i cant.
Kill em all and let god sort them out!

Atheism is a non-prohet organisation.

Initiate

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 5:27 pm » by Alexrubic

Forgive me but isn't 'what it means to be American' more typified by the American Indian? They were, after all the original inhabitants of that land? Even if not them then surely the Portugese or the Spanish (Christopher Columbus under the auspices of Queen Isabella of Spain)? Certainly not the 'white' Anglo-Saxon 'supremacist type' at which this article seems to be hinting!

However, the broader point is taken: When Caucasian races become the minority, will they suffer the same fate as all other racial minorities have? Will it be considered just retribution for past racist deeds, etc?
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

James Thomson (1700-1748)

Conspirator

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 5:47 pm » by Towelie

100% right no one should be judged on the colour of there skin (or scales :lol: .) It should be expected that in the future well all be the same colour, whatever colour it is that the G.M crops turn us, im hoping for purple :D .
Kill em all and let god sort them out!

Atheism is a non-prohet organisation.

Initiate

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 6:07 pm » by Bink02

I am a Heinz 57.. :flop: This should be the new race! (and we go pretty good on a steak too! :flop: ) Here's a thought I've had since I was a kid ... If I was an ET :alien: observing the earth , and I was asked to go down and meet with the humans , I'd have to say ...What !? Are you crazy? ! :ohno: those folks are nuts! :nails: I'll watch them from a safe distance ... thank you very much ... :hugging: :sunny:
Founder of the RLA (Rebel Lemming Alliance ) * We follow no one ...

"People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people ."

Initiate

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 6:15 pm » by Alexrubic

I fear you have both misunderstood my response. It matters not to me whether a person's skin colour is white (nobody's skin colour is actually white!) or black (nobody's skin colour is black!) or any hue of the rainbow in-between! As a student of biology I know the differences in skin pigment are just a few microscopic specks of genetic material - my point was meant to refer to a country that is known for primarily Caucasian* inhabitants being the controlling element within society and what happens when they are a minority no longer in control of their society.

*From wikipedia:
White people is a term which is usually used to refer to human beings characterized, at least in part, by the light pigmentation of their skin. It often refers narrowly to people claiming ancestry exclusively from Europe. A broadly corresponding and sometimes synonymous concept is the Caucasian race. Caucasoid people from the Middle East, North Africa, and parts of Central and South Asia are therefore also sometimes considered "white."

Also from wikipedia:
The current U.S. Census definition includes white "people having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East or North Africa. The U.S. Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Investigation describes white people as "having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa through racial categories used in the UCR Program adopted from the Statistical Policy Handbook (1978) and published by the Office of Federal Statistical Policy and Standards, U.S. Department of Commerce.
When Britain first, at Heaven's command arose from out the azure main; this was the charter of the land, and guardian angels sang this strain: "Rule, Britannia, rule the waves: Britons never will be slaves."

Writer

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 9:15 pm » by Memofromturner

i could challenge you to name a pure race.....waste of time tho...as far as "white" america goes...thats a funny discription...be aware that caucasian includes hispanics and indians (from india)...not very white .maybe the article ment dark skined caucasians are likely to outnumber the light skined caucasians some day...........now my point...its not the color of skin we need to be concerned with........its culture...at least for americans...and another thing......since im on a rant......seems to me that minorities have been seting the course in politics here for some time so there..thats it i hand the podium over to my estemed collegue............................

Initiate

PostThu Feb 26, 2009 11:43 pm » by Alexrubic

Of course there probably is no one left on Earth who is of a 'pure race'. The whole racial thing is an attempt at creating labels and divisions (divide and conquer!). If you believe anthropology we are all descended from hominins in Central Africa and if you believe the Bible we are all descended (incestuously, one assumes?!) from Adam and Eve!

What people want (need?) to hold onto is cultural identity - while it is only right and proper that settlers in foreign lands should adapt to (if not always or fully adopt) the rules and customs of their host nation, the indigenous peoples of those host nations should not demand or expect them to totally abandon their native cultural traditions. It is diversity that makes the world interesting - otherwise we may as well be clones or automatons!

What is lacking, though, is a true tolerance of difference or individuality - a spirit of live and let live!

Writer

PostFri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 am » by Dmparker

alexrubic wrote:Of course there probably is no one left on Earth who is of a 'pure race'. The whole racial thing is an attempt at creating labels and divisions (divide and conquer!). If you believe anthropology we are all descended from hominins in Central Africa and if you believe the Bible we are all descended (incestuously, one assumes?!) from Adam and Eve!

What people want (need?) to hold onto is cultural identity - while it is only right and proper that settlers in foreign lands should adapt to (if not always or fully adopt) the rules and customs of their host nation, the indigenous peoples of those host nations should not demand or expect them to totally abandon their native cultural traditions. It is diversity that makes the world interesting - otherwise we may as well be clones or automatons!

What is lacking, though, is a true tolerance of difference or individuality - a spirit of live and let live!

I totally agree! I'm a native of planet Earth, I have citizenship of the USA, I'm a descendant of Native American, German, English which happens to be classified as Caucasian.

Initiate

PostFri Feb 27, 2009 1:25 pm » by Alexrubic

dmparker wrote:
alexrubic wrote:Of course there probably is no one left on Earth who is of a 'pure race'. The whole racial thing is an attempt at creating labels and divisions (divide and conquer!). If you believe anthropology we are all descended from hominins in Central Africa and if you believe the Bible we are all descended (incestuously, one assumes?!) from Adam and Eve!

I totally agree! I'm a native of planet Earth, I have citizenship of the USA, I'm a descendant of Native American, German, English which happens to be classified as Caucasian.

Nice one! That is how I have always thought of myself: A native of planet Earth, a citizen of the United Kingdom, born in England of English and Yugoslavian parents!

Next