Do you believe in being Hypnotized?

Super Moderator

PostFri Feb 04, 2011 1:53 am » by Spock

On a serious note, I do 100% believe in the power of hypnosis. I don't know what to think about the stage type, but I do understand how people can be easily influenced by outside stimuli.

This also goes back to the Sirhan Sirhan type murder (mind control).

I've witnessed it in my own life, through listening to my iPod while going to sleep. Years ago I used a hypnosis audio to help me quit smoking. I listened to it as I went to sleep every night. I was able to quite smoking, on my own, for years, and would have never started back, except for a very stupid decision on my part to find comfort in a cigarette before boarding a plane.

There is no question that there is a way to speak to our subconscious on a subtle level that bypasses our conscious reservation.

PostMon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 pm » by Meganjo

how does hypnotize help in quit smoking??? can you please explain your experience in detail?

drug rehab

Conspirator

PostMon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 pm » by Freeyourmindnow

meganjo wrote:how does hypnotize help in quit smoking??? can you please explain your experience in detail?

do you really want to quit smoking?

Conspirator

PostMon Feb 14, 2011 3:36 pm » by Gisgangusur

spock wrote:On a serious note, I do 100% believe in the power of hypnosis. I don't know what to think about the stage type, but I do understand how people can be easily influenced by outside stimuli.

This also goes back to the Sirhan Sirhan type murder (mind control).

I've witnessed it in my own life, through listening to my iPod while going to sleep. Years ago I used a hypnosis audio to help me quit smoking. I listened to it as I went to sleep every night. I was able to quite smoking, on my own, for years, and would have never started back, except for a very stupid decision on my part to find comfort in a cigarette before boarding a plane.

There is no question that there is a way to speak to our subconscious on a subtle level that bypasses our conscious reservation.

Maybe that's one of the allusions here Free and Spock :flop:

Now ye shall know that the chosen priest & apostle of infinite space is the prince-priest, the Beast; and in his woman, called the Scarlet Woman, is all power given.

"VISITA INTERIORA TERRAE RECTIFICANDO INVENIES OCCULTUM LAPIDEM."

PostWed Mar 02, 2011 1:46 pm » by Meganjo

I just want to know about it, as my hubby smokes a lot...

Writer

PostWed Mar 02, 2011 3:43 pm » by Another

I don't actually think hypnosis exists. I think it is a social construct, i.e. we 'know' what an apparently hypnotised person is supposed to do, hence we play this role/behave in this manner when someone hypnotises us. A form of conformity if you will. I am not saying that this is at a conscious level though, so people may well feel something different is happening to them.
The whole debate about hypnosis being a real concept vs a social construct is well covered in old AQA A level books, as it was part of the syllabus back in the 90's.
Also, well explained here :
http://www.chemistrydaily.com/chemistry/Hypnosis
Make sure you have your pop up blocker on for that one though,

PostWed Mar 23, 2011 8:59 am » by Jerlin09

I think it's definitely possible to be put in to a state where you can be easily influenced by suggestion but actual "sleep" hypnosis, i am not convinced.

Drug Rehab

Initiate

PostMon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 pm » by Blaborde1488

I BELIEVE THE WHOLE WORLD IS LETTING ITSELF BE HYPNOTIZED BY THE T.V. SET.

Writer

PostWed Mar 30, 2011 4:52 am » by Alphafemale

Twice I am hypnotized, by "Profesor" for smoking cessation.......
At NO point during this "state of sub concious" was I not in control of my own faculities. I ( at any time ) was able to stand up & leave if I wished. Allbe it, I was told I was in a state of such relaxation, I could not move ( B.S. )

Today I ( despite Niccorttte, Wellbrutin treatment, and some unhealth, ) puff away like chimney in the crematorium. Sadly. I hate the smell- the taste, the money waste, but still I can not stop ;(

I am sure I die with a Turkish slim out of my mouth :(

Initiate

PostSat Apr 16, 2011 4:40 pm » by Malkere

the subject has already been explained in great detail so I won't bother pointing out that anyone with half of an experience with hypnosis knows it's very real. I've seen it many times myself and have looked into the subject thoroughly.

I just thought I'd explain a little more on the why it doesn't work on some people. for example alphafemale. The first and probably more common reason is because the hypnotist doesn't know what he/she is doing or in other words is inexperienced. hypnosis isn't just saying A to a person, counting from 10-1 then saying B and they're under your spell. everyone on the planet is different and it can take days to hypnotize some people, seconds to hypnotize others.
The second reason is subject is unwilling, and this can be conscious and/or subconscious. If you resist, there's no way you're going to be hypnotized, unless drugged, restrained, and patiently worked on (and we're not spies in the cold war so I don't think that's something we need to worry about). If your subconscious resists in the form of "this is stupid," "this guys a quack," or any of the other egoic actions that we all put out on a daily basis can very simply interrupt the hypnosis process. Which leads into the third reason.
The third reason is the subject is unable to relax/focus. Hypnosis is in some ways like meditation, in that you (or the person working on you) is trying to bypass the ego, the active mind, the defense systems, and move the self/subject into a state of accepting submission. Thus some people who are unable to calm down, have a general distaste for the human race and/or hypnotists, are high levels of nicotine and caffeine, or whatever may be the reason, are simply unable to enter into that calm state that is necessary to step into hypnosis. This doesn't mean the person CANNOT be hypnotized; there are NO people who cannot be hypnotized; but there are a lot of people who will not allow themselves to be hypnotized, are afraid of hypnosis, or carry too heavy of an ego to calm down.

If you've never experienced hypnosis or are willing to throw away hundreds of years of research and modern data for something that penn an teller (television magicians = tricksters) said on their show then all the rest of us can do really is shake our heads :roll:

if the subject interest you get into it. I have video of people being convinced they are on drugs, their bodies are much different than they are, crying on command, orgasming on command, and lots more. all because the subject was a WILLING PARTICIPANT. and "susceptable" which just means, calm and willing.

cheers
To realize that you do not understand is a virtue;
Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect. -Lao Tzu

PreviousNext