The Illusion of Gravity

Conspirator

PostWed Jul 21, 2010 11:49 am » by Phaeton

The Illusion of Gravity

Erik Verlinde, a string theorist and professor of physics at the University of Amsterdam, is shaking the giant box of contemporary science, jumbling what we think we know by declaring that gravity is just an illusion.

Gravity, according to Verlinde, is a microcosmic byproduct of a larger entropic force, which is just one refracted face of a larger field of illusion, much like the Hindu Maya. In physics, entropy and entropic force are determined by the overall effect--the entire landscape--and not by one microscopic path. Verlinde references the standard example in physics of a polymer molecule. "a strand of DNA…curling up." A strand is unique because it offers only one possibility out of the whole realm of possibilities. But due to the infinite nature of outside influences in a macrocosmic entirety, the results are far more probable that the force will cause the "object" to curl and accumulate higher entropic force, like an absorbed sponge or coiled spring.

And that is where the effects of "gravity" come in: gravity is not just one direct acting force onto a particular object, an A>B scenario, but rather the notion of "gravity" is an accumulation of macrocosmic influences, where the law of averages create the propensity for acting entropic force.

According to Verlinde, nature likes options. All of its intimate workings thrive on diversity, and all of the microcosmic elements that build the macrocosm, create a harmonious tension that balances with such entropic force. When something wants to act against the spiraling realm of such cyclical energies, it takes a higher force to shape through all of the diversity to one unique object. Verlinde used the example of frizzing hair to explain such a feat. There are more options for strands of hair to curl than to be straight, and it requires a greater number of factors and energy for the hair to be pulled straight.

If true, maybe defying gravity will only be a matter of finding the right frequency of vibrations, the one path that cuts through all the entropic force.

Dr. Verlinde's paper has raised a lot of of criticism, and a lot of support, but it has definitely raised eyebrows. Even if his theories prove to be unfounded, his ideas already helped to reinvigorate the scientific community, proving that conflict does indeed propel the story.

[English source: http://www.realitysandwich.com/illusion ... ry_gravity]
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"
"All our science measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - yet, in contemporary consensus, its the most precious thing we have"

Upload to Disclose.tv

Writer

PostSun Mar 25, 2012 12:47 pm » by Aman123

What you are taking about?
Isn't this skeptical?How gravity can be an illusion?It is true that scientists are still trying to understand gravity on Quatum scale because we have still not understood gravity completely.But I fully disagree that Gravity is illusion!! :alien:

I thinks,may be,as the distance of electron from nucleus increase force of attraction decreases and then increases for a particular distance range and then go on decreasing till a point that it is not enough for attracting electrons and these leakage attractive forces emerge as gravity waves(weak force).

For your information,already a thread exist on same topic on same website.

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 25, 2012 1:56 pm » by Iamthatiam

:flop: Excellent post, Phaeton....My favourite kind of...

On a quick thought, wasn't 'Illusive' Gravity pulling 'Illusive' bodies? Thus its 'illusive' nature?

Yes, imo its all about 'frequencies' and 'vibrations', indeed!

'Harmony' and 'Disharmony'.

"The Heaven's Lights are fed by the energy generated inside the furnaces of Hell; I AM One Conductive Wire! "

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 6:16 am » by Kaarmaa

Upload to Disclose.tv

Interesting post :flop:

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 am » by Iwanci

Everything intangible that we don't really understand can be construed or defined as an illusion.
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 am » by mediasorcery

it felt real enough when i dropped a fukin brick on my foot the other day, so was the pain.
the story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again my friend.

Writer

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 am » by xSZx

When Isaac Newton noticed apples and the such like falling down under some invisible natural first.
He labeled it gravity. It is not Gravity. It is an 'effect of gravity'.
When Einstein theorized that large bodies in space could bend light he labeled it 'Gravity'...but again it is only an effect of gravity.
The problem for Newton was that every time he performed his calculations he got the wrong result.
Indeed each time was a difference of 0.666.Unable to explain this he named it 'The Gravitational Constant'.
An arbitrary constant, which Einstein gratefully inherited.
Both these guys are attributed with a great understanding of gravity even though none of them actually identified what gravity is.
There is no place for gravity in the Standard Model of Particle Physics.

Perhaps this inability to identify gravity is relate to the 'illusion of Mass'.
Because throughout the universe i have looked at the micro and macro.
I cannot find any mass.In particle physics, the standard model and beyond, i find the term mass used to describe 'vacuum fluctuations'. Particles don't really have any mass.
Look at the expanses of space and you find galaxies. But they only account for 1% of space?
Look in side the material structure of a star or a planet you find...99% space.
look into the world of an atomic field..what you find is empty space.
You might look at the sub atomic worlds expecting to find some miniscule particle of pure mass...it isn't there.
Inside a quark....nope 99% space.
Smaller than a gluon perhaps..nope ..the smallest particles are not gluon but the decay particles..
No MASS and No Gravity.
They say...oh if we build a microscope so and so powerful we can look at the small.
And we do it we will find a Higgs Boson or a God particle.Nope.
I don't think so because there is no Mass and if there is no mass then we cannot properly define gravity or any other so called Force.
You might be saying...how can he say there is no mass...this guy is crazy or worse.
In my defense i ask you to reflect upon Density.
What is density?
A region of very high population divided by its regions of almost zero population.
A ratio labeled as mass.
1- There is no Mass.
2- Gravity has only one property...Effect.

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 11:35 am » by mediasorcery

if the earth stopped spinning, would we loose gravity i wonder?
the story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again my friend.

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 am » by Iwanci

I say 'snap' media, I dropped a huge piece of wood on my foot last week and I still hurt... on a separate and similar note... did you swear when the brick hit your foot as I did?

How many people swear when they incur pain and why do we swear when we incur pain of this nature? Why do we swear so f*&King much?
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Initiate

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 am » by Danarmstrong

What a great post Phaeton, if this doesn't get the brain a thinkin I don't know what will.

This article has inspired me to do some more research on this subject so thanks.

This is one of the absolute best questions I think I have ever read and or thought about. WTF is gravity? Wow, I really think this is a very important question.

I'll be back LOL.......