The Iron Man cometh: Army's 'TALOS' suit with liquid armor

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 pm » by Kinninigan

:o

The Iron Man cometh: US Army commissions 'TALOS' suit with liquid armor

The fantastic fictional powers enjoyed by comic book superheroes and villains – including enhanced strength, night vision and resistance to bullets - may become a reality soon if the US military gets its way.

As if inspired by Marvel Comics itself, the Special Operations Command (SOCOM) has commissioned a Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit, or TALOS for short, which will likely contain liquid armor, a substance that is being developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, according to the official website of the US Army.

The material can change from liquid to solid in milliseconds when a magnetic field or electrical current is applied, allowing a soldier wearing the protective suit to survive attack from heavy gunfire

The outfit is also expected to include its own internal supply of heat, air and oxygen.

Public discussion about creating a 21st century suit of armor for US soldiers increased following the US Army’s failed mission last week in Somalia. Members of an elite Navy SEALS unit were forced to retreat in the face of heavy gunfire, while attempting to capture an Al-Shabaab commander believed to be connected to one of the 1998 US embassy bombings in Africa.

SOCOM, hoping to tap into a deep well of engineering talent, last month issued a request for ideas “from a wide variety of sources, not just traditional military industry but also from academia, entrepreneurs, and laboratories capable of providing the design, construction, and testing of TALOS related technologies.”

Super soldiers?

US Special Operations Command chief Adm. William McRaven believes the technology will make US soldiers practically invincible on the battlefield.

"I'm very committed to this, I'd like that last operator that we lost to be the last operator we lose in this fight or the fight of the future, and I think we can get there," McRaven told industry representatives gathered at SOCOM headquarters in Tampa, Florida, last July to discuss the creation of the technology.

A combat simulation video that appears on YouTube features a soldier donning the Sci-Fi-like body armor smashing through a wooden door before staring down a hail of machinegun fire.

SOCOM hopes to incorporate a “comprehensive family of systems in a combat armor suit where we bring together an exoskeleton with innovative armor, displays for power monitoring, health monitoring, and integrating a weapon into that – a whole bunch of stuff," Lt. Col. Karl Borjes, an Army science advisor assigned to SOCOM, said in a statement.

TALOS will contain "full-body ballistic protections," as well as a “physiological subsystem” that covers the skin of the wearer and is embedded with sensors to monitor “body temperature, skin temperature, heart rate, body position and hydration levels,” according to the government's May posting.

McRaven goes beyond anything Superman could have imagined, envisioning that the suit wearer's "cognitive thoughts and the surrounding environment to display personalized information."

And should a soldier suffer an injury despite the state-of-the-art suit of armor, “the TALOS would monitor their health and even stop bleeding using a "wound stasis" program such as one being developed by DARPA that sprays foam onto open injuries,” John Reed, a military expert, wrote in Foreign Policy.

It is no secret that such technologies have been undergoing development for more than a decade. Defense contractors have been working on exoskeletons, for example, that would permit foot soldiers to carry more gear and run faster than they normally could on their own.

Lockheed Martin has been attempting to move its Human Universal Load Carrier (HULC) exoskeleton to Afghanistan where it will be combat-tested by troops, David Axe reported in Wired last May.

Not everybody, however, is so upbeat about the ‘Iron Man’ technologies being planned for American troops.

“My sense is it is an uparmored Pinocchio,” Scott Neil, a retired Special Forces master sergeant and Silver Star recipient, told the Tampa Tribune. “Now the commander can shove a monkey in a suit and ask us to survive a machine gun, IED, and poor intelligence all on the same objective. And when you die in it, as it melts to your body, you can bury them in it!”

Neil then offered his thoughts on what would make the best type of suit for US soldiers.

“A business suit,” he replied, arguing that after so many military misadventures abroad, US troops need “transitioning back to be ordinary Americans.”

http://rt.com/usa/talos-socom-army-us-986/

US Army RDECOM - Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS) Combat Simulation [720p]

Upload to Disclose.tv

Published on Jun 3, 2013

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. (May 28, 2013) -- Army researchers are responding to a request from the U.S. Special Operations Command for technologies to help develop a revolutionary Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit.

The Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit, or TALOS, is an advanced infantry uniform that promises to provide superhuman strength with greater ballistic protection. Using wide-area networking and on-board computers, operators will have more situational awareness of the action around them and of their own bodies.

The U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, known as RDECOM, is submitting TALOS proposals in response to the May 15 2013 request.

"There is no one industry that can build it," said SOCOM Senior Enlisted Advisor Command Sgt. Maj. Chris Faris during a panel discussion at a conference at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., recently, reported Defense Media Network.

"The requirement is a comprehensive family of systems in a combat armor suit where we bring together an exoskeleton with innovative armor, displays for power monitoring, health monitoring, and integrating a weapon into that -- a whole bunch of stuff that RDECOM is playing heavily in," said. Lt. Col. Karl Borjes, an RDECOM science advisor assigned to SOCOM.

TALOS will have a physiological subsystem that lies against the skin that is embedded with sensors to monitor core body temperature, skin temperature, heart rate, body position and hydration levels.

Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are currently developing armor made from magnetorheological fluids -- liquid body armor -- that transforms from liquid to solid in milliseconds when a magnetic field or electrical current is applied. Though still in development, this technology will likely be submitted to support TALOS.

"RDECOM cuts across every aspect making up this combat armor suit," Borjes said "It's advanced armor. It's communications, antennas. It's cognitive performance. It's sensors, miniature-type circuits. That's all going to fit in here, too."

SOCOM demonstrations will take place July 8-10 2013, at or near MacDill Air Force Base.

The request asks participants to submit a white paper summary of their technology by May 31 2013, describing how TALOS can be constructed using current and emerging technologies. A limited number of participant white papers will be selected and those selected will demonstrate their technologies.

The initial demonstration goal is to identify technologies that could be integrated into an initial capability within a year. A second goal is to determine if fielding the TALOS within three years is feasible.

U.S. Army science advisors, such as Borjes, are embedded with major units around the world to speed technology solutions to Soldiers' needs. The Field Assistance in Science and Technology program's 30 science advisors, both uniformed officers and Army civilians, provide a link between Soldiers and the RDECOM's thousands of subject matter experts.

RDECOM MISSION

The U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command has the mission to develop technology and engineering solutions for America's Soldiers.

RDECOM is a major subordinate command of the U.S. Army Materiel Command. AMC is the Army's premier provider of materiel readiness -- technology, acquisition support, materiel development, logistics power projection, and sustainment -- to the total force, across the spectrum of joint military operations. If a Soldier shoots it, drives it, flies it, wears it, eats it or communicates with it, AMC provides it.

:peep:
It was written in prophecy that a Gelfling would end Skeksis rule...
https://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan

Initiate

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 pm » by Poppa_pygar

I guess this is what they named the Suit after.
http://monsters.monstrous.com/talos.htm
If you're talking behind my back, you're in a good position to kiss my ass! Image

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 6:32 pm » by Kinninigan

Poppa_pygar wrote:I guess this is what they named the Suit after.

thanks nice little piece of mythology right there!

:cheers:
It was written in prophecy that a Gelfling would end Skeksis rule...
https://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 pm » by Chronicnerd

While I understand technological advancements is *required* for any country who wishes to "keep their land" in the not too distant future:

http://news.yahoo.com/feed-9-billion-people-2050-starve-103700760.html

I always have wondered something:

If they (i.e. governments) know there is going to be a world population problem, why do they feel the need to *further* increase the military capabilities with more advanced weaponry and technology?

As an example:

The 0.950 Caliber bullet and rifle:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Now...

Why would you need a bullet *THAT* big?

Interesting stuff...

The TALOS suit... is strange... it looks like something we might make in the event we had to deal with "something we are not sure about"...

I know not one human on this planet would be able to go head to head with the Talos...and possibly most light armored vehicles and/or tanks might have a tough time taking out a few people with the Talos.

The big question is "why?".

More "new weaponry":

Upload to Disclose.tv

Crazy stuff...

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 8:51 pm » by Evildweeb

Chronicnerd wrote:

Interesting stuff...

The TALOS suit... is strange... it looks like something we might make in the event we had to deal with "something we are not sure about"...

I know not one human on this planet would be able to go head to head with the Talos...and possibly most light armored vehicles and/or tanks might have a tough time taking out a few people with the Talos.

Good point Chronic. WHY?

I have for a long time felt there is no "threat" on this planet that warrants the new ultra mega-weapons they are creating hand over fist.

Personally, I don't think it's "bullets" they are concerned about.

There is indeed a LOT more to this story.

As for the TALOS - from Kinni's video - looks to me someone at Skunk Works has been playing too many video games.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:flop:

Beer acquisition continues up to the point of some form of saturation and is driven on a course directed by the path of least resistance to the fridge

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 9:04 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Kinninigan wrote:

thanks nice little piece of mythology right there!

Upload to Disclose.tv

The King: Ray Harryhausen

Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Initiate

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 9:51 pm » by 2020

Kinninigan wrote:

Look up 'Intelligent Oil' :nails:

Super Moderator

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 10:10 pm » by DarkHeart

Chronicnerd wrote:While I understand technological advancements is *required* for any country who wishes to "keep their land" in the not too distant future:

http://news.yahoo.com/feed-9-billion-people-2050-starve-103700760.html

I always have wondered something:

If they (i.e. governments) know there is going to be a world population problem, why do they feel the need to *further* increase the military capabilities with more advanced weaponry and technology?

As an example:

The 0.950 Caliber bullet and rifle:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Now...

Interesting stuff...

More "new weaponry":

Upload to Disclose.tv

Crazy stuff...

Call that a gun ?

This is a gun :shock:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Canubis wrote:i wont be apart of this..my wagon sails into the sun rise! but im sunset passed out for days..while jesus sleeps in your pocket...

Writer

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 10:15 pm » by outlander-district6

It simply sounds too idiotic to be true.

I can imagine it to be no more than another puppet show, designed to justify increased spending, to an ignorant public. You know....to be "hip" techno-wise......gotta have that new gadget!

Where does the super-human strength come from? eh?

Materials can defeat bullet penetration, but not force of impact.
In fact, as soon as new materials are created to defeat certain ballistics from penetration, someone else creates a new round of bullet to over-come it.
Very often, when I log in, I see at the top of the page....Chat (1)........JUST WHO IN THE HELL ARE THEY CHATTING WITH???? :ohno:

Super Moderator

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 pm » by Slith

outlander-district6 wrote:In fact, as soon as new materials are created to defeat certain ballistics from penetration, someone else creates a new round of bullet to over-come it.

Good point. It's always about escalation. Schoolyard tactics.

marnysad wrote:How to Pee a Brain Injury Rectification Involve Brain hurt

Next