The Lost Cities of the Cloud People - The Chachapoyas!

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm » by Kingz

The Chachapoyas, also called the Warriors of the Clouds, were an Andean people living in the cloud forests of the Amazonas region of present-day Peru. The Incas conquered their civilization shortly before the arrival of the Spanish in Peru. When the Spanish arrived in Peru in the 16th century, the Chachapoyas were one of the many nations ruled by the Inca Empire. Their incorporation into the Inca Empire had not been easy, due to their constant resistance to the Inca troops......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chachapoyas_culture

The figures balance aloft on the ledge of a cliff, their gaze fixed where the first rays of the rising sun will appear, waiting for a new day to dawn. Known by the name Warriors of the Clouds, the Chachapoyas were an ancient Andean people who inhabited the mist-swathed rainforests of what is now northern Peru. They were wiped out some five hundred years ago, and looking out over the vast Utcubamba Valley, these figures stand as remnants of their once great civilisation.

Watching, waiting: Ancient Chachapoyas figures at Karijia

In the remote mountainous Amazonas region of present-day Peru, various relics stand as testimony to the Chachapoyas and what they achieved. The scene just described is the site of Karijia, where six full-size sarcophagi preside over the surrounding territory, and have done for almost a millennium. Made of clay and plant matter, the masked coffins contain the mummified remains of Chachapoya elite. How they were placed in such an inaccessible position, no one knows for certain.

Ancient wise men: Skulls seem to have been part of the decoration too

Much about the Cloud People is shrouded in mystery. As recently as 2008, a lost Chachapoya city was discovered in the isolated Amazon rainforest during an archaeological expedition to Peru’s Jamalca district, about five hundred miles north-east of Lima. The fortified citadel was found to contain the walls of buildings and rock paintings, and perched on the edge of a chasm – literally carved into the Andes – it may have been used by the Cloud People to keep a lookout for enemies.

Cloud People country: The climb to the Kuelap citadel midst misty mountains

Little is known about the Chachapoyas as they left no written records, but it appears their culture began to prosper in the 9th century, when their towering cities were developed, possibly as defensive measures against invading Huaris. However, five hundred years on, their fortunes faltered with the spread of the Inca Empire. Despite fierce resistance, the Cloud People were conquered by the Incas, and were by turns rebelling and being suppressed when the Spanish conquistadors arrived in 1535.

Peaceful scene: Yet the Chachapoyas were in violent conflict with the Incas

The Chachapoyas sided with the Spanish in their fight with the Incas, but European diseases such as smallpox obliterated their population under their new rulers. The Chronicler Pedro Cieza de León wrote that the Chachapoyas were “the whitest and most handsome of all the people that I have seen in Indies, and their wives were so beautiful that because of their gentleness, many of them deserved to be the Incas’ wives…” – words that have led to much myth about their strangely fair complexions.

Celebrated cream and white painted structures: Funerary site at Revash

As well as the standing clay figures like those at Karijia, the Cloud People were also entombed in chullas, brightly painted cliff side crypts with gabled roofs, notably found at the site of Revash. Yet the most impressive construction the Chachapoyas left behind is undoubtedly Kuelap, a monumental fortress 9500 feet above sea level. Protected by massive stone exterior walls, a sheer drop on one side, and dense surrounding forest, Kuelap must have taken some conquering.

Difficult to scale: The ruins of the Kuelap citadel, its walls some 66 feet high

Containing more than four hundred buildings, Kuelap was a major settlement for its times and may have housed as many as 3500 inhabitants at its peak. Comparable in scale to the famed Inca retreat of Machu Picchu, this 1000-year-old complex shows what the Chachapoyas were capable of. Who knows what else lies waiting to be uncovered deep in the Andean Amazon? Doubtless more secrets of the Cloud People are waiting to be unlocked.
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/fe ... ople/14694

Lost city of 'cloud people' found in Peru
Archaeologists have discovered a lost city carved into the Andes Mountains by the mysterious Chachapoya tribePublished: 7:30PM GMT 03 Dec 2008
The settlement covers some 12 acres and is perched on a mountainside in the remote Jamalca district of Utcubamba province in the northern jungles of Peru's Amazon.

The buildings found on the Pachallama peak are in remarkably good condition, estimated to be over 1,000 years old and comprised of the traditional round stone houses built by the Chachapoya, the 'Cloud Forest People'.

The area is completely overgrown with the jungle now covering much of the settlement but explorers found the walls of the buildings and rock paintings on a cliff face. The remote nature of the site appears to have protected the site from looters as archaeologists found ceramics and undisturbed burial sites.

Archaeologist Benedicto Pérez Goicochea said: "The citadel is perched on the edge of an abyss.
"We suspect that the ancient inhabitants used this as a lookout point from where they could spot potential enemies."

The ruins were initially discovered by local people hacking through the jungle. They were drawn to the place due to the sound of a waterfall.

The local people "armed with machetes opened a path that arrived at the place where they saw a beautiful panorama, full of flowers and fauna, as well as a waterfall, some 500 metres high," said the mayor of Jamalca, Ricardo Cabrera Bravo.

Initial studies have found similarities between the new discovery and the Cloud Peoples' super fortress of Kulep, also in Utcubamba province, which is older and more extensive that the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu, but has not been fully explored or restored.

Little is known about the Chachapoya, except that they had been beaten into submission by the mighty Incas in 1475. When in 1535 the Spanish Conquistadores arrived in Peru, they found willing allies in the Cloud People for their fight against the Incas. Spanish texts from the era describe the Cloud People as ferocious fighters who mummified their dead.
They were eventually wiped out by small pox and other diseases brought by the Europeans.
The women of the Chachapoya were much prized by the Incas as they were tall and fair skinned. The Chronicler Pedro Cieza de León offers wrote of the Chachapoyas.

"They are the whitest and most handsome of all the people that I have seen in Indies, and their wives were so beautiful that because of their gentleness, many of them deserved to be the Incas' wives and to also be taken to the Sun Temple."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -Peru.html

This prime example of Chachapoyan architecture, Kuelap, remained ignored by the outside world until 1843, when Juan Crisóstomo Nieto, a Chachapoyas judge, made a survey of the area and took note of Kuelap's great size, guided by villagers who had known of the site for generations. Subsequently, Kuelap earned the attention of explorers, historians and archaeologists. Notable observers who helped publicize the site included Frenchman Louis Langlois (who wrote a description of Kuelap in the 1930s), Adolph Francis Alphonse Bandelier, Ernst Middendorf, Charles Wiener and Antonio Raimondi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuelap

:look: :rtft: :look: :rtft: :look: :rtft:
The Cloud People, also known in legend as “the white warriors of the clouds” established expansive kingdom located in the northern regions of the Andes in present-day Peru during the ninth century. Bordered by the Maranon and Utcubamba rivers, in the zone of Bagua, their civilzation extended up to the basin of the Abiseo river, and to the very edges of Peru’s northern Amazon jungle.
The Cloud People were defeated by the Incas but later conquered them by aligning with the Spanish Conquistadors. Unfortunately, diseases brought to the New World by their allies eventually wiped the Cloud People out.

Past archeological discoveries were so heavily looted that little was left to learn about the Cloud People, who are referred to as Chachapoyas in Inca legends. Other pre-hispanic groups referred to the Cloud People as “White Gods” due to their height, blonde hair and blue eyes.

The spanish conqueror Pedro Cieza de Leon wrote they wore woolen clothing and wollen turbans, and described them as “the whitest and most handsome of all the people that I have seen, and their wives were so beautiful that because of their gentleness, many of them deserved to be the Incas’ wives and to also be taken to the Sun Temple.” He also noted the Cloud People were significantly taller than the Spaniards, indicating they were Nordic and not Mediteranian. Another Spanish conqueror, Orellana, wrote similar descriptions. Verification of the Cloud People’s racial makeup came two years ago, when archaeologists found an underground burial vault inside a cave with five mummies, two intact with skin and hair.

According to Inca legend, the Chachapoyas remembered that their ancestors came from the East. The Amazon river is on the East and far east is the Atlantic Ocean. Archeologists have discovered paintings and drawings of large ships on the buildings of the Chachapoyas, indicating that they possibly traveled from Europe to South America by sea, passing through the Amazon river flows until they reached a more tolerable climate, away from the unbearable tropical heat of the Amazon jungle.

The Cloud People are probably best known for the Kuellap fortress on the top of a mountain in Utcubamba, which can only be compared in scale to the Incas’ Machu Picchu retreat, built hundreds of years later.

The newly-discovered fortress is tucked away in one of the most far-flung areas of the Amazon. Sitting at the edge of a chasm which may have been used as a lookout post, it was extremely isolated and very well-preserved.
The main encampment is made up of circular stone houses overgrown by jungle over 12 acres, according to archaeologist Benedict Goicochea Perez.

Rock paintings cover some of the fortifications and next to the dwellings are platforms believed to have been used to grind seeds and plants for food and medicine.
http://www.therightperspective.org/2008 ... e-of-peru/
The Map Is Not The Territory, The Word Is Not The Object....

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm » by Germanpils

I saw a documentation with a german guy who investigated this place some months ago,

that was some real interesting shit!
You know, you don't see with your eyes,
you see with your brain and the more
words your brain has, the more things you can see.
(KRS-ONE)

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm » by Kingz

germanpils wrote:I saw a documentation with a german guy who investigated this place some months ago,

Can you find it please :?: ... If it's german that will be no problem :sunny:

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 pm » by Germanpils

kingz wrote:
germanpils wrote:I saw a documentation with a german guy who investigated this place some months ago,

Can you find it please :?: ... If it's german that will be no problem :sunny:

will try ;)
(KRS-ONE)

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:24 pm » by Germanpils

That search was hard but i finally found the video stream ;)

its some fucking awesome movie

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/ ... nmenschen-
(KRS-ONE)

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:30 pm » by Kingz

germanpils wrote:That search was hard but i finally found the video stream ;)

Dude awsome :P I really appreciate it.... I'm gonna watch it inmediatly!!!

LOL.... Die Nebelnkriegers :clapper:

:cheers:

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:34 pm » by Germanpils

no problem dude, always trying to spread good info :)

in germany they are called "Cloud men" lol.... :P
(KRS-ONE)

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 pm » by Kingz

germanpils wrote:no problem dude, always trying to spread good info :)

in germany they are called "Cloud men" lol.... :P

on the beginning he said: Nebelnkrieger > Cloud Warriors... just thought it was funny heheh

Anyway it indeed has really descent information.... and the production quality is really good!
Normally I don't like to watch German tv programms but this one is ABSOLUTLY worth watching :shock:

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 10:15 pm » by Kingz

WOWOWOW....Just finished watching and it has to be one of the most interesting documentary's about ancient civalizations in Latin America, probably in my top 10! On the end the commentator says something like.... People who find out about The Cloud People, will never let the subject go... it's that amazing!

I wish that they made this docu in English so everyone could enjoy this information, I mean this guy is the real deal Indiana Jones...! He is absolutly crazy, called extreme archeology.... and you don't have to understand German to see what I mean :look: :o

Later an update with pictures from the documentary, with discovery's that have been made while filming this :clapper:

Thanks again Pils! :sunny:

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 11:12 pm » by Germanpils

kingz wrote:

WOWOWOW....Just finished watching and it has to be one of the most interesting documentary's about ancient civalizations in Latin America, probably in my top 10! On the end the commentator says something like.... People who find out about The Cloud People, will never let the subject go... it's that amazing!

I wish that they made this docu in English so everyone could enjoy this information, I mean this guy is the real deal Indiana Jones...! He is absolutly crazy, called extreme archeology.... and you don't have to understand German to see what I mean :look: :o

Later an update with pictures from the documentary, with discovery's that have been made while filming this :clapper:

Thanks again Pils! :sunny:

no problem bro ;)

when i watched it on tv i couldnt believe my eyes too,

it was said that guy was the first who had permission to enter this area after about 20 years,
and he found out some new amazing finds :)

gotta love history :)
(KRS-ONE)

Next