The media, film and UFO's/Aliens.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 7:18 pm » by Tuor10

The existence of extraterrestrial life has become a mainstream theme in many people’s everyday lives. From Hollywood movies to TV soap operas, the theme of Alien life percolates the entertainment industry. But is this new found hysteria concerning ET merely an exercise in mass exploitation of the masses; or is this a concerted drive on the part of the powers that be – to surreptitiously condition the minds of the masses for an up-coming event, where ET takes centre stage?

The general mainstream consensus regarding the reality of extraterrestrial life has been in a constant flux of transition. From the early 50’s into the late 60’s, academics and mainstream media outlets treated the subject with some degree of impartiality – concentrating on facts and empirical data; but as the subject become more general, and its mainstream treatment less serious, the area of Ufology and extraterrestrial life became tainted by charlatans – and others who wanted to make a quick buck out of people’s beliefs.
By the 1970’s, the subject had become a mainstream taboo: the butt of many jokes; while those who held on to their beliefs – even those engaged in hard empirical evidence gathering – were ridiculed by their peers; or out-right maligned and shunned. This volte-face on the part of the academic community depreciated the work, character, and evidence that had hitherto been collected by a dedicated band of researchers. This collective formed an interdisciplinary band of fellow believers, whose sole purpose was to prove – or disprove – the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life visiting earth.
Towards the end of the 1970’s, another change of perspective concerning ET and its existence began to swell within mainstream thinking. Steven Spielberg’s ‘Close Encounters Of The Third Kind’ and ‘ET’ went some way in giving credence and much needed mainstream support to the area of Ufology. Vituperative polemics against anyone in academia – attempting to study UFO cases still persisted; but the mainstream view - particularly that of the some sections of the media – was beginning to soften.
A plethora of ET/UFO movies began to emerge during the 80’s; but as opposed to portraying ET in a benevolent fashion: a saviour of mankind and a guide for human progression, the mainstream media – in particular Hollywood – started to demonise ET, portraying them as evil and hell bent on humanities destruction. The reason for such a broad change of perception was more a marketing ploy as opposed to any higher direction from those sitting at the higher echelons; for with new innovations in special effects, the capacity in which Hollywood could play with people’s fears - and hopes - had reached a higher plateau; and with it, an entirely new commercial model that appealed to both young and old alike: the merchandising of Star War’s, and its economic corollary, changed Hollywood, turning into a supranational corporation as opposed to a collection of film studio’s based in California.
The 1990’s, and the early part of the 21st century, has carried on with the malevolent alien theme. If anything, the exponential growth of ET related films, juxtaposed with TV series’, both for adult and minor consumption, has made the reality of ET more acceptable. Even mainstream news agencies are now keen to print as many ET/UFO stories – even though some lesser tabloid trash like to treat this subject with condescension – as possible, with a greater emphasis on scientific data, and the works of alternative scientists, who have hitherto been ostracised by their respective disciplines; which begs the question: why?

Previously, we have discussed the media’s role in the shaping of ET/UFO perceptions. As we have seen, there has been a general change in the last 50 years that has coincided with a general change of attitudes by the various communities tied to the subject – be it by default or design. The sheer magnitude of evidence for the existence of UFO’s is now so overwhelming that the discussion has now moved from their existence to their perceived existence: what they are and why they are here.

So how much of a role do the media have in preparing, or shaping our views of UFO’s and their potentially alien passengers? What motives or agenda could be at play? How much knowledge has the media – in particular – Hollywood, be given in order to create their
movie scripts? How much influence does the American military have on scripts concerning Alien invasions and attacks on humanity? To some, these questions might seem a little general; but for us to truly get to the bottom of the true reality of the UFO phenomenon, and understand the mechanics and propagation of material through the medium of media and film, we need to elucidate the role that the said bodies undertake in conditioning the minds of the public; for if our governments are not going to be open with us, or undertake an open public investigation into the UFO phenomenon – with all its other vestiges: abductions, cattle mutilations etc – then it is up to the public – or those among the public that have an interest in such affairs – to take up the baton and push for transparency; or at the very least, to steer the public in the right direction, as opposed to stone-walling any attempts to penetrate the veil of secrecy that surrounds this whole issue. This is why it is imperative that all possible channels of research are explored; none more so than the world of media and film, which has had such a impact in shaping our cognitive awareness of this whole phenomenon.
So where do we start. As discussed earlier, the attitude towards UFO’s and Aliens has changed over the past 50 odd years. Thus, it would only be fitting that we start our investigation where it really all began: Roswell.
Roswell New Mexico has become synonymous with UFO’s and Aliens. The town today has built a commercial enterprise around the supposed crash that happened in 1947. But if we are to truly understand what happened that day, we have to look to the first source that broke the story: The local Roswell paper.
When the Roswell story broke, the information given to the local Roswell journalists by the U.S. military was that a craft of unknown origin had crashed. The story went on to state that a disk shaped craft had crashed, and the occupants were believed to be dead. A little while after this story broke - it was rescinded by the U.S. military who went on to claim that the crashed craft was indeed a crashed, prototype balloon. The original consternation that had took over Roswell was quickly replaced with suspicion, for it was rightly thought that such a muddling of stories seemed to indicate that the U.S. military were indeed covering up something. So why was the media so compliant about co-operating with the U.S. military?

The Western media, like all media outlets around the world, have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. The objectivity and impartial nature of the media – or the multimedia world as it is now known – has been expunged from existence – ever since media and film were taken over by corporate interests. In Britain, for example, people buy a paper, or watch a particular TV programme of a political nature, based on their own political allegiances. In turn, the said papers or TV political programmes also have an underlying political allegiance that underpins its existence. Therefore, in a sense, the information that is promulgated to the masses is always of a biased nature; for even if the information is presented in an accurate fashion, the tendency to manipulate information in order to fit dogma is always present, which will, in turn, have an effect on the minds of those who are absorbing the information. So how does this all tie into the UFO phenomenon? If, hypothetically speaking, there was a cover-up at Roswell, and some in the higher echelons of the media and corporate world were privy to such information, and were asked by the U.S. military or government to help cover-up the story; such an act of grand deception would have to be done in gradations; that is to say that those in the business of spreading disinformation had to formulate a long term plan of deception that would not be conspicuous for all to see. Such a plan would have taken decades to implement, and would result in a general ambivalence towards UFO’s and the whole question of Aliens visiting out planet. In-fact, the deception worked so well, that the general feeling towards UFO’s and Alien life, has metamorphosed into a satire, where men and women in anoraks stand in the freezing cold of night waiting for their “Space Brothers” to come down and take them on a journey around the solar system. Such a purposely contrived feeling of mockery towards this subject has failed to inspire any purposed investigation of substance; for all so called investigations have been utterly flawed from the start because of the disdain that mainstream science had – and still has – for this subject; a subject that they themselves have done a disservice to, as well as letting down themselves as scientists and free-thinkers.
Staying with hypothesis, one can assume that the decades of negative polemics against the UFO field have had the desired effect: to force those with a rational and healthy curiosity away from the subject; and ultimately, the truth.
At this juncture in time, we are now seeing an exponential increase in UFO/Alien related films, TV series and countless news articles. People who were once shunned are now being given air time. Former Generals, Admirals, Astronauts – and countless others with top security clearances are being given air-time, without the usual accompanying derision. So what has changed? Could it be that the sheer weight of evidence juxtaposed with new technological advances allowing more people to see what is going on around us, is forcing the hands of those who would rather keep this a secret? Could it be that their hands are being forced, hence the mainstream acceptance of the UFO phenomenon? Or could it be that those who are keeping the secret are tired of keeping it – leading to a complete about face by the media world? Whatever the reason, we should all be aware that the truth may not be so clear-cut, or easy to discern.

Only time will tell what part the media world had in the cover-up – if a cover-up actually exist;. but based on passed precedents - and taking into account the inter-relationships between media, corporate and government - it is safe to assume that we were not – and still are not – being told the truth about the reality of ET.

Note: this is pretty long winded; but I hope others can add to what we have discussed; for I believe this subject is now coming to some sort of definable conclusion (I HOPE).

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 7:35 pm » by Kaarmaa

I saw a few videos of Buzz Aldrin who goes to TV shows and talks about what he's seen up there.
I want to believe what he says but at the same time, I feel like he's doing it, not to inform people, but to get some money out of it. I wonder if people take him seriously.
Most of the people still believe in green Martians with antennas on their heads, the subject has been so ridiculed that even if they (aliens) showed up, people would believe that it's Spielberg, promoting a new movie.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 pm » by Tuor10

kaarmaa wrote:I saw a few videos of Buzz Aldrin who goes to TV shows and talks about what he's seen up there.
I want to believe what he says but at the same time, I feel like he's doing it, not to inform people, but to get some money out of it. I wonder if people take him seriously.
Most of the people still believe in green Martians with antennas on their heads, the subject has been so ridiculed that even if they (aliens) showed up, people would believe that it's Spielberg, promoting a new movie.

I agree. This whole subject has been sullied to a point that very credible people are laughed at when they mention this subject.

Initiate

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 7:53 pm » by X-mog

As a former skeptic turned experiencer (I've seen em up close), my opinion is that they are obviously not supposed to interfere with our development. I think the military has been aware of this for some time and that once a blue moon, a few renegade aliens come here to prevent certain people from altering the natural course of history. The only logical explanation.

Initiate

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 8:15 pm » by X-mog

So you see, they would have us believe that aliens are hostile so that we would stop asking so many questions. Questions that they can't answer.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 8:18 pm » by Tuor10

truthseeker2k11 wrote:So you see, they would have us believe that aliens are hostile so that we would stop asking so many questions. Questions that they can't answer.

It definitely seems that way. Think of all the films and TV mini-series that are currently doing the rounds; all depicting Aliens kicking our arse.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 pm » by Kaarmaa

tuor10 wrote:
truthseeker2k11 wrote:So you see, they would have us believe that aliens are hostile so that we would stop asking so many questions. Questions that they can't answer.

It definitely seems that way. Think of all the films and TV mini-series that are currently doing the rounds; all depicting Aliens kicking our arse.

Not all the time, did you see the movie District 9?
Those poor aliens got a really good taste of how messed up human specie is, maybe they are aware of it and avoid us.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 8:36 pm » by Tuor10

kaarmaa wrote:
tuor10 wrote:

Those poor aliens got a really good taste of how messed up human specie is, maybe they are aware of it and avoid us.

I haven't seen that movie.

Conspirator

PostThu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 pm » by Fatbastard

kaarmaa wrote:
tuor10 wrote:

Seen It. Now your makin' sense, kaarmaa.
"Senator. I am not now, nor have I ever been, an oil trader, and neither has anyone on my behalf. I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one, and neither has anyone on my behalf."