The Slow Death of Capitalism...?

Initiate

PostTue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm » by Bobbyinedmonton

As I walked into the waiting room at Canadian Tire here in Edmonton, my eyes were drawn to the Television hung in the corner over the vending machine. As much as I hate CNN, and the fact that Canadian Tire is bent on polluting the waiting room with Facist Propaganda instead of CBC Newsworld or BBC World, I couldn't help but notice the most startling headline I've ever seen on CNN: "The End of Capitalism?"

While I know in my heart that Capitalism and the pigs who run the system are in the midst of dying right now, it honestly shocked me to see CNN put any attention on the fact. For me, it really was confirmation that my feelings are correct; Capitalism is dead.

And whether we are visited by aliens, or by rogue planets, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that 2012 will be a year of great tribulation, as per Revelations definition. A system, hailed by the Capitalists as the 'best system ever invented', doesn't go down without a bit of noise, considering that Capitalism is at least as old or older than Christianity.

For now, it's hard to envision the end to Capitalism, because we don't know what will replace it really... Unless of course, you watch Star Trek, and then it all makes sense. For us Trekkies, the fall of Capitalism is better than Christmas Presents on Easter, while enjoying Turkey and Stuffing on a Carribean Beach under the light of decorated Palm Trees. :D :owned:

I was going to launch a poll here, but I do not have the power to do such. What I want to poll is this: Do you believe that we are witnessing the demise of The Capitalist system?

Either way, I'm off to work on Warp Drive theory some more... :robot:

PostWed Oct 22, 2008 12:18 am » by Myokonin

I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure how economies in star trek work? Mind filling me in?

Initiate

PostWed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 pm » by Bobbyinedmonton

That's sort of the point. Economy doesn't necessarily exist in The Star Trek Universe. Not for Humans and travellers from Earth anyway.

Here is a Quote from Wikipedia (Search:"Star Trek", Under: "Setting", 10/21/08):

In the Star Trek universe, humans developed faster-than-light space travel, using a form of propulsion referred to as "warp drive", following nuclear war and a post-apocalyptic period in the mid-21st century. According to the story time line, the first warp flight happened on April 5th, 2063. Later, mankind united with some of the other sentient species of the galaxy to form the United Federation of Planets. Partly as a result of the intervention and scientific teachings of the Vulcans, an advanced telepathic alien race, man largely overcame many Earth-bound frailties and vices by the middle of the twenty-second century, creating a quasi-utopian society where a central role is not played by money, but rather by the need for exploration and knowledge.

It is honestly surprising that Gene Rodenberry (Creator of Star Trek) wasn't accused of being a Communist by a Post-Cold War society. The very root of Communism and Anarchy is based around the same principles of Human/Resource Based Economy that is devoid of Capitalism and Its elite classes (the Bourgeois), but that is rather driven by accomplishments and real skills.

Part of the problem with the current Capitalist system, is that jobs are chosen by income. Even the Federal Reserve's It's Your Paycheck[sic] approved K-12 curriculum states that, "People with few skills are more likely to be poor." (Standard 13). Yet, influential People such as Nikola Tesla and Albert Einstein (and many many more) were poor, and by Capitalist logic, they were of little skills. It is but a small part of what Capitalism represents.

In this world right now, we are getting no where near taking a place in the Universe. And it's not because good people aren't trying, it's because the power mongers are so caught up in owning their own business, making profit, and having more things. And, no matter how advanced any profit making company is, it will never be able to build a Starship by itself. And by it's very nature, if Space Travel continues under the model of Capitalism and Competition in a business world, it is easy to see how quickly fighting banks will put up the dollars to make better weapons against Earth and all Humans to fit on space vehicles, in the f|_|cked up names of Freedom, Liberty and Peace. The connection between Capitalism and War is easy to see; just look at how well the American weapon makers are doing right now. And, He who wins the war, wins the loot. And space launched weapons are the easiest way to win. As long as capitalism and it's ways of war are just blindly allowed to operate illegally - in terms of what is good for Humans and Earth - by the citizens of any country, than the profit of war will prevail as the best way for robotic old men to keep their coffers stuffed to the brim with the life and liberty of the Working Class. Yet, by the efforts spent and liberty volunteered - $$$ = Life + Liberty + Freedom - to earn that war money by the people of any waring nation, we could go leaps and bounds into the unknown.

In the make believe Universe of Star Trek, Capitalism has been dead for a long time, and Humans don't really seem to concerned with personal wealth. It's as if they've finally found purpose again. There is a certain something about defying space rather than other nations, because in comparison to Earth, the Milky Way and the Universe are no where near being understood. Earth may be nearly explored and boring, but Space! Space goes on forever. It's nearly inconceivable to think that exploration of space by great numbers of humans on a great number of starships will ever lead to a full understanding. It is however, very conceivable to look at a fictional story line and see that this never ending journey of exploration represents an entirely new hope for a nearly hopeless race. These plots gave some of us a will and an idea that we aren't as bad as we may be coming across right now.

These plot lines in the television series, made many leaps in science and conventional thinking; The Star Ships are massive, the Warp Drives Powerful, and the Aliens are plenty. Of course, it had to be a show that would attract a large audience. The marketing revenue behind the Star Trek Franchise would have been phenomenal. The consumer thirst for electronics and technology has been a far reaching wave that has put gadgets of all sizes and colors into our pockets and on our desks. Now, it has us signing up for any department store credit we can find just to get more technology. Even William Shattner (The Captain from the original series) had a special on Discovery Channel that took credit for the current technology trend, attributing the shows success to scientific discovery and the smaller gizmos we have today.

Now, we have the gadgets, but we don't have the will as a strong community of a species of a distant planet to go forward into space as long as space shuttles and probes have price tags on them. Bill Gates may have been motivated by Greed to make advancement in the field of Sofware - The greatest used argument for Capitalism - but now that he's rich, and his old product is still raping people of a couple hundred dollars every two years, why change it? Why would Bill Gates, or Oprah Winfrey, or Bono (U2), or Donald Trump, or Tiger Woods, or Bradgelina ever address the real problems of undereducation, poverty, if it's going to mean taking a huge cut in pay?

And why is space travel profitable enough to not be constrained by economy and dollar bills? Because Space is full of energy and movement. Perpetual Energy and Perpetual Movement that could actually address our so called energy crisis, and get us off of oil. Whereas, by the Supply Demand cycle of Capitalism, actually addressing the growing dangers of energy and oil only increase economic crisis.

Just think of the crazy IMAX movies we'll send back to Earth once we unlock Warp Drive and the fourth dimension to travel to our neighbours too. What a better way for our species as a whole to get behind something. And finally, something tangible for UFOlogists to look at, no longer under the scope of The Top Secret.

I could keep on going, but I'm not entirely sure it's going to get read as it is... Either way, the point is that the Rich and Wealthy will soon start fighting tooth and nail to ensure their own survival. This means that Joe Plumber, You, and I are collateral Damage to the games of Capitalism and War. Yet, it is still assumed that Joe Plumber is a dolt and an idiot, and we will just be pushed over and paved over to resume the operation of a defunk system.

More to come...

Initiate

PostWed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 pm » by Jon1313

Good stuff bobbyinedmonton :flop:
BTW I love Star trek :clapper: :clapper: