The TomTato: Plant which produces both potatoes and tomatoes

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:27 am » by Malogg

The TomTato: Plant which produces both potatoes and tomatoes launched in UK

Plant can grow sweet cherry tomatoes while producing white potatoes

A plant which produces both potatoes and tomatoes, described as a “veg plot in a pot”, has been launched in the UK.

The TomTato can grow more than 500 sweet cherry tomatoes while producing white potatoes.

Horticultural mail order company Thompson & Morgan, which is selling the plants for £14.99 each, said the hybrid plants were individually hand-crafted and not a product of genetic engineering. :banana:

Grafted potato-tomato plants have already been produced in the UK, but Thompson & Morgan says this is the first time they have been successfully produced commercially.

The company says the tomatoes are far sweeter than those available in supermarkets.

Paul Hansord, horticultural director at the company, said he first had the idea for the plant 15 years ago in the US, when he visited a garden where someone had planted a potato under a tomato as a joke.

He said: "The TomTato has been trialled for several years and the end result is far superior than anything I could have hoped for, trusses full of tomatoes which have a flavour that makes shop tomatoes inedible, as well as, a good hearty crop of potatoes for late in the season.

"It has been very difficult to achieve the TomTato because the tomato stem and the potato stem have to be the same thickness for the graft to work, it is a very highly skilled operation.

"We have seen similar products, however on closer inspection the potato is planted in a pot with a tomato planted in the same pot - our plant is one plant and produces no potato foliage."

The plants can be grown either outside or inside, as long as they are in a large pot or bag.

A similar product, dubbed the "Potato Tom", was launched in garden centres in New Zealand this week.

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 39501.html
Image :flop:

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:31 am » by Fatdogmendoza

Solanaceae

:cheers:
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Super Moderator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:37 am » by Slith

Broccoflower. It's grown here locally......don't ask

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/food/2009 ... occoflower

Initiate

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:36 am » by Ishumble

I saw that on the news :D :owned:

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:46 am » by Phoenix rising

Jeeeeeezzuuuus fooking frankinplan, wont be long before they cross them with crabs and they walk to our plates :lol: :lol:
We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:03 pm » by monica44

Isn't the Tomato plant of the same family as the potato to start with ? So that being i would imagine it was easy to splice, trouble is potato blight also affects tomato plants, so if it got in the potato the whole crop would be ruined. It cannot be right messing with our food supplies, for it is no longer in harmony with our bodies, nature cannot be perfected.
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey, we are spiritual beings on a human journey; Stephen Covey.

Initiate

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 pm » by Poppa_pygar

That's one for me :flop:
If you're talking behind my back, you're in a good position to kiss my ass! Image

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 8:02 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

monica44 wrote:Isn't the Tomato plant of the same family as the potato to start with ? So that being i would imagine it was easy to splice, trouble is potato blight also affects tomato plants, so if it got in the potato the whole crop would be ruined. It cannot be right messing with our food supplies, for it is no longer in harmony with our bodies, nature cannot be perfected.

5 posts back

Fatdogmendoza wrote:Solanaceae

Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 8:28 pm » by monica44

Fatdogmendoza wrote:
monica44 wrote:Isn't the Tomato plant of the same family as the potato to start with ? So that being i would imagine it was easy to splice, trouble is potato blight also affects tomato plants, so if it got in the potato the whole crop would be ruined. It cannot be right messing with our food supplies, for it is no longer in harmony with our bodies, nature cannot be perfected.

5 posts back

Fatdogmendoza wrote:Solanaceae

:oops: OOOPs sorry :flop:

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey, we are spiritual beings on a human journey; Stephen Covey.

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 9:22 pm » by Toxic32

I'v been working on this for years, only I went for a multi fruit tree. Bigger crop and anyway I like fruit. I just popped out the back and took this shot. Coming on quiet nicely don't you think.

LOL :D
Invictus maneo

Next