The True Colors Of Mars! There Could Be Life Out There!

jetxvii

PostThu Sep 24, 2009 11:18 am » by jetxvii

mikesingh wrote:
LowSix wrote:The set of images resembling these are the most color correct of the bunch.
For the most part, the images shown after these versions contain WAYYYY too much cyan to be considered accurate, but they are all in the same vein..

Check out the photograph (below) taken during a press briefing after Spirit sent back some amazing 'true color' images of Mars. I say true color as this same image was later saturated to give out a red/orange landscape!

So the question is: Why the heck did NASA do that and screw up this image of Mars to make it look red? :hell: A perfectly 'natural' color image has been tampered with to make Mars look barren, dusty and hostile to flora!

Mars in natural true color!

Cheers! :D

that was my indication as well. I have followed mars very closely and of all the photos I have seen they make it looks like such a wasteland that it would seem highly unlikely almost next to impossible for ice to grow there due to it constantly being covered up by dust storms etc... truly if there was that much iron or dust in the atmosphere that would make ice particles extremely hard to grow around iron particles laid right out on top of it.

jetxvii

PostThu Sep 24, 2009 11:21 am » by jetxvii

LowSix wrote:The set of images resembling these are the most color correct of the bunch.
For the most part, the images shown after these versions contain WAYYYY too much cyan to be considered accurate, but they are all in the same vein..

The one with the hyper blue sand is likely off. Sand probably isnt that blue/green..
Auto Level Correction is not a professional standard since it is wrong about 85% of the time..All it does is balance the channels to each other, and not balance to the Middle grey tone..which is the correct manner..

Its just that the set resembling this are the most True, in a technically balanced sense..

On the offchance it sounded like I was sying they WERENT fudging colors, that wasnt the intention, but the variance, i assign to the various technical proficiencies of guys doing the color corrections..

There are several factors that would make this difficult.
Color ff light source is a HUGE variable...
And absence of Color charts to calibrate against, or known Pure greys in the scene.

With large amounts of sand in the sky, the light would be effected in the red channel absolutely, and even with a color chart using a standard method would leave a more cyan image than would be correct..

And so even the best images on the net, are estimates anyhow..without knowing JUST how red the sand in the sky was, if there was any..But of all the examples ive seen with a cyan sky, the cyan levels in the rocks are unnaturally high, so that leans to the fact that they are overdone. The skies may have SOME cyan in them, but rock colors suggest not as much as are generally shown in the really WOW images of blue skies..

Start Sarcasm>>>>Oh low-six you just think the colors are too brilliant because you haven't seen even the outside of your computer screen for 15 years. hows the Gandalf wizard beard growing?<<<< End sarcasm

Previous