The True Colors Of Mars! There Could Be Life Out There!

Writer

PostWed Sep 23, 2009 9:44 am » by Mikesingh

The question: Is NASA fudging colors to make Mars look like a red barren desert?

NASA's red-green-blue composite panoramas of Mars were generated from images taken through Spirit’s Pancam's 750-nanometer, 530-nanometer and 480-nanometer filters. I’ve included a couple of images from Opportunity too.

According to NASA/JPL:

These "natural color" views is the rover team's best estimate of what the scene would look like if we were there and able to see it with our own eyes.

There has been much discussion on the Internet how complicated the reproduction of true color images from Mars would be. Of course, a 100% precise reproduction is not possible as the human visual system can only be approximated by technical devices. Taking this fact, some scientist claim, that it is impossible to recreate the Martian colors. These scientists forget that on Mars the same Sun is shining as on Earth with just reduced intensity by 40% and the same optical and physical laws are valid.
Nobody with enough common knowledge would claim that you cannot create true color pictures on any location on Earth. Color is not always 100% correct, but the general colorization is represented so we can get the impression how it would look like on that location when viewing it with our own eyes.

Best estimate? Well, here’s another look at the best estimate of what Mars would look like with just the combined RGB Auto Levels turned on. A slight increase in contrast has also been applied. NO additional colors have been superimposed on any of these images.

So, is NASA fudging the colors to make it look like a hostile barren desert? Here's a Viking image for starters, to show how NASA super saturates images....

Courtesy: NASA/JPL

Color corrected...

And here are three images - which one is the 'best estimate'? The first is the one from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, which says the red tinge is due to dust storms (Sic), the second from NASA's Viking image archive, and the third is what seems true color to me after applying color correction....

So what happened to that so called 'dust storm'?

Now for the goodies....The original NASA/JPL image is shown first followed by what should be the 'best estimate' after applying color correction. Could the greens be some kind of moss / lichen / grass?

The imge below shows blue sand! The second image is auto level corrected that shows the true color of sand. So is that snow on the surface that NASA wanted to hide?

And here's one for the road....Just like Earth, what? :flop:

Cheers! :D

All source images: Courtesy NASA/JPL
http://areo.info/mer/
http://www.nasm.si.edu/ceps/siimages/research.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... 6.png#file

Initiate

PostWed Sep 23, 2009 9:57 am » by Wesley

Thanks for the time you have put into this Mike :cheers:
What will we call it now the "Not Red Planet" LOL

jetxvii

PostWed Sep 23, 2009 10:08 am » by jetxvii

I can not describe the feeling I got when I looked at these pictures. it was like a sign of hope, I can not also thank you enough for posting this. thank you so much this just made my year. Phenomenal

Initiate

PostWed Sep 23, 2009 4:10 pm » by Dboyseeker

:flop: very interesting.
Just like Earth, what?
I should say so. As for them altering images...

"At no time, when the astronauts were in space were they alone: there was a constant surveillance by UFOs." NASA Astronaut Scott Carpenter

Master Conspirator

PostWed Sep 23, 2009 5:37 pm » by Lowsix

The set of images resembling these are the most color correct of the bunch.
For the most part, the images shown after these versions contain WAYYYY too much cyan to be considered accurate, but they are all in the same vein..

The one with the hyper blue sand is likely off. Sand probably isnt that blue/green..
Auto Level Correction is not a professional standard since it is wrong about 85% of the time..All it does is balance the channels to each other, and not balance to the Middle grey tone..which is the correct manner..

Its just that the set resembling this are the most True, in a technically balanced sense..

On the offchance it sounded like I was sying they WERENT fudging colors, that wasnt the intention, but the variance, i assign to the various technical proficiencies of guys doing the color corrections..

There are several factors that would make this difficult.
Color ff light source is a HUGE variable...
And absence of Color charts to calibrate against, or known Pure greys in the scene.

With large amounts of sand in the sky, the light would be effected in the red channel absolutely, and even with a color chart using a standard method would leave a more cyan image than would be correct..

And so even the best images on the net, are estimates anyhow..without knowing JUST how red the sand in the sky was, if there was any..But of all the examples ive seen with a cyan sky, the cyan levels in the rocks are unnaturally high, so that leans to the fact that they are overdone. The skies may have SOME cyan in them, but rock colors suggest not as much as are generally shown in the really WOW images of blue skies..
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostWed Sep 23, 2009 7:35 pm » by Savwafair2012

Radar Map Of Buried Mars Layers Matches Climate Cycles
A radar-generated map of the thickness of the layered deposits. (Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Rome/Southwest Research Institute/University of Arizona)

ScienceDaily (Sep. 23, 2009) — New, three-dimensional imaging of Martian north-polar ice layers by a radar instrument on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is consistent with theoretical models of Martian climate swings during the past few million years.

Alignment of the layering patterns with the modeled climate cycles provides insight about how the layers accumulated. These ice-rich, layered deposits cover an area one-third larger than Texas and form a stack up to 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) thick atop a basal deposit with additional ice.

"Contrast in electrical properties between layers is what provides the reflectivity we observe with the radar," said Nathaniel Putzig of Southwest Research Institute, Boulder, Colo., a member of the science team for the Shallow Radar instrument on the orbiter. "The pattern of reflectivity tells us about the pattern of material variations within the layers."

Earlier radar observations indicated that the Martian north-polar layered deposits are mostly ice. Radar contrasts between different layers in the deposits are interpreted as differences in the concentration of rock material, in the form of dust, mixed with the ice. These deposits on Mars hold about one-third as much water as Earth's Greenland ice sheet.

Putzig and nine co-authors report findings from 358 radar observations in a paper accepted for publication by the journal Icarus and currently available online.

Their radar results provide a cross-sectional view of the north-polar layered deposits of Mars, showing that high-reflectivity zones, with multiple contrasting layers, alternate with more-homogenous zones of lower reflectivity. Patterns of how these two types of zones alternate can be correlated to models of how changes in Mars' tilt on its axis have produced changes in the planet's climate in the past 4 million years or so, but only if some possibilities for how the layers form are ruled out.

"We're not doing the climate modeling here; we are comparing others' modeling results to what we observe with the radar, and using that comparison to constrain the possible explanations for how the layers form," Putzig said.

The most recent 300,000 years of Martian history are a period of less dramatic swings in the planet's tilt than during the preceding 600,000 years. Since the top zone of the north-polar layered deposits -- the most recently deposited portion -- is strongly radar-reflective, the researchers propose that such sections of high-contrast layering correspond to periods of relatively small swings in the planet's tilt.

They also propose a mechanism for how those contrasting layers would form. The observed pattern does not fit well with an earlier interpretation that the dustier layers in those zones are formed during high-tilt periods when sunshine on the polar region sublimates some of the top layer's ice and concentrates the dust left behind. Rather, it fits an alternative interpretation that the dustier layers are simply deposited during periods when the atmosphere is dustier.

The new radar mapping of the extent and depth of five stacked units in the north-polar layered deposits reveals that the geographical center of ice deposition probably shifted by 400 kilometers (250 miles) or more at least once during the past few million years.

"The radar has been giving us spectacular results," said Jeffrey Plaut of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., a co-author of the paper. "We have mapped continuous underground layers in three dimensions across a vast area."

The Italian Space Agency operates the Shallow Radar instrument, which it provided for NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The orbiter has been studying Mars with six advanced instruments since 2006. It has returned more data from the planet than all other past and current missions to Mars combined. For more information about the mission, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/mro .
FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Initiate

PostWed Sep 23, 2009 11:23 pm » by Tzarmo

Hello dude, Thank you for the good post.
When i watching the images they look to me very very good and i have feeling like i know this place!
The Images of the MOON that you show to us with normal colours looks like the same Nature like we have here on our planet EARTH.

Writer

PostThu Sep 24, 2009 7:37 am » by Mikesingh

LowSix wrote:The set of images resembling these are the most color correct of the bunch.
For the most part, the images shown after these versions contain WAYYYY too much cyan to be considered accurate, but they are all in the same vein..

Check out the photograph (below) taken during a press briefing after Spirit sent back some amazing 'true color' images of Mars. I say true color as this same image was later saturated to give out a red/orange landscape!

So the question is: Why the heck did NASA do that and screw up this image of Mars to make it look red? :hell: A perfectly 'natural' color image has been tampered with to make Mars look barren, dusty and hostile to flora!

Mars in natural true color!

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 24, 2009 8:26 am » by Reinaul

mikesingh wrote:
LowSix wrote:The set of images resembling these are the most color correct of the bunch.

Check out the photograph (below) taken during a press briefing after Spirit sent back some amazing 'true color' images of Mars. I say true color as this same image was later saturated to give out a red/orange landscape!

So the question is: Why the heck did NASA do that and screw up this image of Mars to make it look red? :hell: A perfectly 'natural' color image has been tampered with to make Mars look barren, dusty and hostile to flora!

Mars in natural true color!

. what if this is earth and not mars as they wants us to believe?? just a thought
“The important thing is not to stop questioning.”
-Albert Einstein

Be Your Own Messiah

Writer

PostThu Sep 24, 2009 9:35 am » by Mikesingh

Reinaul wrote: what if this is earth and not mars as they wants us to believe?? just a thought

Good question! Check out images of the Atacama desert and you'll not know the difference! But I'm not doubting that we did send probes to Mars. However, its possible that some images could have been fudged!!

Now as regards the image I posted (which you reproduced in your post above this one), showing the first of the original Spirit images at the NASA briefing, here's the one that has been officially released....

Why has it been tampered with to show the reddish tinge? This sucks, doesn't it? :badair:

Cheers!

Next