The world we see is make believe ...

Initiate

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 5:39 pm » by Wyldkat

[size=85]I just came through this post via our local news network. Interesting hypothesis...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breakin ... 6104662344
World we see is make-believe, top British scientist says

July 29, 2011 10:06PM

THE human brain creates its own version of reality, and the world we see around us is mostly make-believe, according to a top British scientist.

Professor Bruce Hood will explore the limits of the human mind in a series of prestigious lectures for the Royal Institution of Great Britain, the oldest independent research body in the world, it was announced yesterday.

The psychologist plans to induce false memories in audience members and use pickpockets to demonstrate how easily people are distracted, in a bid to prove how we have less control over our own decisions and perceptions than we like to imagine.

"A lot of the world is make-believe. We're only aware of a fraction of what's going on," Hood told The (London) Times. "We have this impression of an expansive panorama in front of our eyes, but all we are ever seeing is an area the size of our thumbs at an arm's distance. The rest is filled in, as the brain creates a stable environment."
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Newsletter Signup

He added, "Though you might think you're an individual and captain of your ship, a lot of processes are being controlled by those around you and your environment."

Hood will head the talks for the Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures, which were started in 1825 by Michael Faraday and have been held every year since then, except for a break during World War II.

"One thing I guarantee is that I will leave the audience wondering if they can ever trust their brain again," he said.
[/size]

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 8:29 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

wyldkat wrote:[size=85]I just came through this post via our local news network. Interesting hypothesis...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breakin ... 6104662344
World we see is make-believe, top British scientist says

July 29, 2011 10:06PM

THE human brain creates its own version of reality, and the world we see around us is mostly make-believe, according to a top British scientist.

Professor Bruce Hood will explore the limits of the human mind in a series of prestigious lectures for the Royal Institution of Great Britain, the oldest independent research body in the world, it was announced yesterday.

The psychologist plans to induce false memories in audience members and use pickpockets to demonstrate how easily people are distracted, in a bid to prove how we have less control over our own decisions and perceptions than we like to imagine.

"A lot of the world is make-believe. We're only aware of a fraction of what's going on," Hood told The (London) Times. "We have this impression of an expansive panorama in front of our eyes, but all we are ever seeing is an area the size of our thumbs at an arm's distance. The rest is filled in, as the brain creates a stable environment."
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Newsletter Signup

He added, "Though you might think you're an individual and captain of your ship, a lot of processes are being controlled by those around you and your environment."

Hood will head the talks for the Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures, which were started in 1825 by Michael Faraday and have been held every year since then, except for a break during World War II.

"One thing I guarantee is that I will leave the audience wondering if they can ever trust their brain again," he said.
[/size]

Well said.

Thanks for sharing, it is amazing how easily scenarios are manipulated and suggested.
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 8:35 pm » by Zer0

WTF No the world is not make beleive... we simply are unable to fully grasp it... so we create our own perception of it.

Doesnt mean it aint real....DUMBASS!
Master Raphael wrote:what you call the law of attraction was missing a vital aspect to the theory that I call the law of repulsion ...it is clear I drove the two of you together...using my repulsion not attraction

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 8:41 pm » by Shemagh

One thing I guarantee is that I will leave the audience wondering if they can ever trust their brain again," he said.[/size]

I haven't trusted my brain since I was 5 Years old, it keeps going off on a tangent all of its own.

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

This goes well with this.........

6th-and-7th-sense-theory-t56019.html
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Initiate

PostFri Jul 29, 2011 10:14 pm » by Fracturedpsyche

Antonio Damasio is an internationally recognized leader in neuroscience. His research has helped to elucidate the neural basis for the emotions and has shown that emotions play a central role in social cognition and decision-making. His work has also had a major influence on current understanding of the neural systems, which underlie memory, language and consciousness. Damasio directs the USC Brain and Creativity Institute.

Upload to Disclose.tv

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few videos from Disclosetv that I believe to be relative to the topic Image

Fascinating subject...Thank you for sharing wyldkatImage
The earth is what we all have in common ~ Wendell Berry

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 30, 2011 2:20 am » by Hansom

The world is as real as our dreams.
When we dream we experience things from the mundane to the truly weird.
While in a state of deep sleep we are able to see and hear (in the dream).
Yet our organs normally used to sense the world are not being used.
Therefore it must be the mind that perceives the world as it is.
You have within you the power to create light.
Do with it what you will.
In Lak'ech

May the force be with you, always.

Initiate

PostSat Jul 30, 2011 2:40 am » by Shagrath

Oh yeah? Then explain why I'm not banging a hot babe every night, why I lost my ass in the stock market and continue to do so, and why I seem to have "negative" luck!

Also, explain why children in 3rd world countries can't materialize a single bite to eat, no matter how hard they try to imagine it!

While I'm at it... Explain why the world isn't a utopia! I'm sure there is plenty of people imagining, dreaming, wanting, hoping for, dying for something better, and all they get is shit!

Reality sucks! Why is that? Did we generate this reality to punish ourselves on purpose?

Please explain to me why I have to join the rat race and work everyday, driving my Saturn to work while knowing that drug dealers and pimps are driving around in Corvettes, banging hot babes and living it up, while my government takes money out of my pocket to support them because they are immigrants from a country we give free pass to, because we built a military base there!

Is this the reality I created for myself?

Initiate

PostSat Jul 30, 2011 8:09 am » by Ruquick

shagrath wrote:Oh yeah? Then explain why I'm not banging a hot babe every night, why I lost my ass in the stock market and continue to do so, and why I seem to have "negative" luck!

Also, explain why children in 3rd world countries can't materialize a single bite to eat, no matter how hard they try to imagine it!

While I'm at it... Explain why the world isn't a utopia! I'm sure there is plenty of people imagining, dreaming, wanting, hoping for, dying for something better, and all they get is shit!

Reality sucks! Why is that? Did we generate this reality to punish ourselves on purpose?

Please explain to me why I have to join the rat race and work everyday, driving my Saturn to work while knowing that drug dealers and pimps are driving around in Corvettes, banging hot babes and living it up, while my government takes money out of my pocket to support them because they are immigrants from a country we give free pass to, because we built a military base there!

Is this the reality I created for myself?

Nice rant :dancing:

Initiate

PostSat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 am » by Headhunter711

Good Evening....
The world that most believe is reality is indeed an illusion, but the question is: DO YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE THE TRUE REALITY?? If you believe nothing else, believe this:
the POWERS THAT BE all agree on this one point. None of you can EVER be allowed to
see ACTUALITY.

Next