This is Water

Master Conspirator

PostWed Aug 01, 2012 4:39 pm » by Cornbread714

Some of you may be familiar with this piece, and with the writer - the now-deceased David Foster Wallace. I had never heard of him, but a friend sent me a link to this commencement address he made a few years back.

Whether or not you're of university age, I think this slightly lengthy piece is definitely worth wading through.

He addresses a lot of the same subjects and issues that have been discussed here at length on various threads, and he does it with impressive clarity and insight.

Please give it a read:

http://moreintelligentlife.com/story/da ... -own-words
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Super Moderator

PostWed Aug 01, 2012 4:50 pm » by Seahawk

Here's an audio. I'm working on something atm, so like that I can listen, while working. Thanks, C.B. Gonna listen now. :flop: :cheers:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Super Moderator

PostWed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm » by The57ironman

...i liked that.....a lot................thanks cornbread

''learning how to think really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think''

"the mind being an excellent servant but a terrible master"

"The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness."

"The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day."

"the real value of a real education, which has almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time, that we have to keep reminding ourselves over and over:

"This is water."

....there's no Stairway nor bustle in the hedgerow!!