Tokyo Bans Hentai

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 5314
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:59 am

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 am » by Constabul


EQUALITY NOW London*: 6 Buckingham Street, London WC2N 6BU, UK ▪ Tel:+44(0)20-7839-5456 • Fax:+44(0)20-7839-4012 • Email: ukinfo@equalitynow.org
Nairobi: PO Box 2018 KNH 00202, Nairobi, Kenya • Tel:+254 20-2719-832 • Fax:+254 20-2719-868 • Email: equalitynow@kenyaweb.com New York: 250 West 57 Street, #1527, New York, NY 10107, USA • Tel:+1 212-586-0906 • Fax:+1 212-586-1611 • Email: info@equalitynow.org
EQUALITY NOW WORKS FOR THE CIVIL, POLITICAL, ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL RIGHTS OF WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD
*Registered in England and Wales • Company Registration Number: 4926476 • Registered Charity Number 1107613
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights - New York Office
Secretariat of CEDAW
United Nations Secretariat, room S-2914-G
First Avenue at 42nd Street
New York, NY 10017
USA
1 July 2009
Re: Information on Japan for consideration by the Committee on the Elimination of
Discrimination against Women at its 44th Session
Dear CEDAW Committee Members
On behalf of Equality Now I would like to submit in advance of the examination of
Japan’s sixth country report at the 44th CEDAW Committee session in July information
regarding rape simulator games and other forms of extreme pornography produced in Japan that
promote violence against women and girls. Equality Now is an international human rights
organisation working to promote the equality of women and girls worldwide. We have enclosed
a copy of our recent Women’s Action, which focuses on the promotion of violence against
women through the medium of extreme pornography made in Japan, including a rape simulator
game entitled RapeLay in which the player manipulates an onscreen penis and hands to rape and
sexually molest a woman and her two daughters.
Extreme pornography in the form of cartoons known as hentai, produced in various
media such as comic books, animation, computer games and online entertainment, is easily
accessible in Japan and its use is widely accepted. Common themes of hentai include rape, gang
rape, incest and the sexual abuse of schoolgirls. This latter form of hentai, known as Loli-Con,
often portrays girls being sexually abused by adults in familiar positions of power such as
teachers. A number of computer games involving rape, sexual harassment and stalking of
women and girls are produced in Japan.
When reporting to the CEDAW Committee in 2003, the Japanese Government admitted
that “the image of women in the media, who were often portrayed as objects either of sex or
violence, had a great impact” on gender stereotypes. In summing up the Committee’s
discussion, the Chair concluded that the “Government should redouble its efforts to eliminate
stereotypes”. Hentai and games such as RapeLay perpetuate gender stereotypes and in
particular myths about violence against women including by portraying women and girls as
“enjoying” being raped. Myths surrounding rape can have a serious detrimental impact on the
way rape is perceived within the criminal justice system. During the Committee’s last review of
Japan’s compliance with its obligations under CEDAW, it was noted that in prosecuting the
crime of rape, judges in Japan required victims to give proof that they had fiercely resisted and
had been severely intimidated, and also that judges evaluated the victim’s “virtue”. The
Committee also expressed concern that the penalty for rape was relatively lenient in Japan.
Although the penalty for rape was increased in 2004 to a minimum of three years, this increase
still does not reflect the severity of the crime including when compared to other serious crimes
such as robbery, which carries a minimum sentence of five years.
In May 2009 some Japanese parliamentarians responded to the depiction of one or more
girl-children in RapeLay by suggesting that a loophole in the child pornography legislation be
closed, which would ban possession of child pornography. While this effort would be welcome,
Equality Now believes that to date no concrete steps have been taken by the Government in line
with its obligations under Article 5(a) of CEDAW to address the broader issue of the stereotyped
portrayal of women in these games and promotion of violence against women generally. We are
led to believe that there is a fundamental lack of recognition by the Japanese authorities of the
harm of rape, which must be urgently addressed.
Equality Now has suffered an unprecedented hate mail campaign after the launch of our
Women’s Action against Rapelay. In addition to vitriolic rape and death threats, Equality Now
was anonymously sent videos that appeared to depict the actual gang rape of girls in Japan.
However, the Japanese police would not initially investigate the depictions on these tapes,
stating that, based on the officers’ analysis of the shape of the girls’ pubic hair, the girls used in
the tapes were not under eighteen, and as such the tapes did not represent child pornography. It
was only after we impressed upon the police that actual (and not enacted) gang rape videos are
sold on the open market in Japan that they finally agreed to investigate further. We do not know
the current status of this investigation, but the lack of initial response serves to underline the
Committee’s expressed concern about the prevalence of violence against women and girls in
Japan and particularly about women’s apparent reluctance to seek assistance from existing
public institutions.
Since issuing its Women’s Action, Equality Now has learned that Illusion Software,
which produced and distributed RapeLay and other similar games, has withdrawn RapeLay from
sale, as has Amazon Japan. However both Illusion and Amazon Japan continue to sell similar
games to RapeLay. We also understand that Japan’s Ethics Organisation of Computer Software
(EOCS), the industry’s self regulatory body that rates computer software, has just banned its
members from producing games containing certain forms of sexual violence against women.
EOCS is a voluntary organisation with a large but not universal membership. In addition, it is
not clear what aspects of violence against women its rules will address and to what extent they
will be applied. Online gaming magazines suggest that due to international attention, game
makers in Japan are merely changing titles and pictures on game covers to make them appear
innocuous but they are not changing the actual content of these games. Similarly, at least two
major gaming companies producing these types of games in Japan have apparently decided to
prevent people from outside Japan accessing their websites in an effort to reduce criticism and
therefore pressure to stop producing the games altogether. Ultimately however these steps are
not enough and it is the responsibility of the Japanese Government properly to address the
objectification of, and violence against, women in compliance with its obligations under
CEDAW.
We would respectfully ask the Committee to raise with the Government during its
review the following questions with regard to these issues:
1. What steps is the Government taking to eliminate the promotion of violence
against women through hentai and other forms of extreme pornography,
including real rape videos?
2. What measures has the Government taken to address the objectification of
women and dispel stereotypes of women in popular media in accordance with
Article 5 and the Committee’s general recommendation No 19, noting in
particular stereotypes promoted through hentai and other forms of extreme
pornography?
3. Notwithstanding the slight increase in the penalty for rape, in order to reflect
the true severity of the crime what steps is the Government taking in response
to the Committee’s previous recommendation to increase the penalty for rape
and what measures are in place to ensure the full investigation and prosecution
of all rapes in a serious and sensitive manner?
4. What kind of training is being provided to Japanese law enforcement
including judges and the police to dispel institutionalised misconceptions
about rape, including the myth that a woman has to put up resistance to prove
she did not consent to sex?
Thank you for your consideration.
Yours faithfully
Jacqueline Hunt
Director


Fairly hypocritical shit.Why don't they try and affect real world events and issues, like the abuse of women under religious circumstances? or the rape of children by pastors and priests? Abuse of women by spouses..which has nothing to do with hentai, they are not even describing it properly...
Not that there isn't some forms/genre of hentai that is fucked up, but really, you can't regulate a drawling. an what kinda message does it send that your advocating on behalf of a pixel, who to really take your organization seriously, other then power hungry pecker heads Who likely do fuck children....

Certainly agree with
If you think its a good idea for the establishment to ban this sort of thing (and believe me, I hold no particular concern for the subject matter in and of itself), then you must surely be willing to accept that these same powers can also define whats acceptable for you as defined by what they consider evil shit as well, no? I would think its preferable this type of thing would eventually disappear as a result of an enlightened humanity, rather than the mandates of an increasingly all-powerful establishment which enforces what is right and wrong for the collective. Until such a time as we as a race have progressed to a new level of thought, why cover up the defects that need addressing on a personal level?

banning something will only lead to a criminal market for such material.
it will not make it go away...
Image
Image
Image

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:21 pm

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 4:52 am » by Daemonfoe


nyarelathodep wrote:
harbin wrote:
nyarelathodep wrote: Are you also willing to have what is acceptable to you dictated to you and enforced by someone else?


I don't understand the context of your question. Perhaps you can elaborate, or rephrase a bit ?


If you think its a good idea for the establishment to ban this sort of thing (and believe me, I hold no particular concern for the subject matter in and of itself), then you must surely be willing to accept that these same powers can also define whats accpetable for you as defined by what they consider evil shiite as well, no? I would think its preferable this type of thing would eventually disapeer as a result of an elightening humanity, rather than the mandates of an increasingly all-powerful establishment which enforces what is right and wrong for the collective. Until such a time as we as a race have progressed to a new level of thought, why cover up the defects that need addressing on a personal level?


would you say the same thing about child porn?
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Writer
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 pm

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 5:08 am » by Aryylas


Ya man, that argument does not fly in this situation. I agree with Dae.

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:41 pm

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 5:12 am » by Nyarelathodep


@daemonfoe,
I would say ANYTHNG that does not harm the well being of another. Hentai is no offender in this category. Thats a fairly ridiculous question to pose me, and I suspect you know that. There has to be a balancing point between maintained, for tipping it in one direction often leads to disasterous consequences.
For challenges to come, we stand against the tide...under the banner of the brave. Mission Aetheria...the future belongs to the brave.

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 5314
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:59 am

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 5:25 am » by Constabul


But this is not about child porn < which is indeed wrong> This about hentai cartoon drawing..
and an organization "EQUALITY NOW" who are attacking an industry because they can not address real issues like child porn, or the links with Catholicism, or islam. or the pedophiles who plague religious centers all over the world, or the countless abuses endured by women due to a faith, a god saying your to be subservant to a man.
This is no different then trying to link violence to video game, some will argue,, but violence has existed long before contra < a video game> or any of the newer games, and will exist even if they are banned and not played for generations...
it is a fallacy based argument, regardless if you like it or not, Attempting to to equate hentai to child porn is just a way to give your side of the argument teeth...
Is there certain aspects / genres of hentai that are not as acceptable as the rest, certainly, and there are indeed laws to address such infringements.
But it is a drawing. in the end. nothing more nothing less.
If you want to discuss child porn then take it to
scientist-urges-for-legalization-of-child-pornography-to-low-t37584.html?hilit=child%20porn
a discussion has already started there.
Image
Image

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:09 am

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 5:37 am » by Probablysane


Oh my, the subject matter never should matter at all. No bans simple. Freedoms are hard to come by and we keep shoving them over the cliff like idiots.
Image
Happiness is subjective ;)

Conspirator
Posts: 6364
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:57 pm

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 6:14 am » by Zer0


reinaul wrote:nooooooooooo hentai!!


Who cares! ...probably oto but Im not so sure


No mang I just keep backups of it for a friend.
Master Raphael wrote:what you call the law of attraction was missing a vital aspect to the theory that I call the law of repulsion ...it is clear I drove the two of you together...using my repulsion not attraction

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:21 pm

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 12:56 pm » by Daemonfoe


constabul wrote:But this is not about child porn < which is indeed wrong> This about hentai cartoon drawing..
and an organization "EQUALITY NOW" who are attacking an industry because they can not address real issues like child porn, or the links with Catholicism, or islam. or the pedophiles who plague religious centers all over the world, or the countless abuses endured by women due to a faith, a god saying your to be subservant to a man.
This is no different then trying to link violence to video game, some will argue,, but violence has existed long before contra < a video game> or any of the newer games, and will exist even if they are banned and not played for generations...
it is a fallacy based argument, regardless if you like it or not, Attempting to to equate hentai to child porn is just a way to give your side of the argument teeth...
Is there certain aspects / genres of hentai that are not as acceptable as the rest, certainly, and there are indeed laws to address such infringements.
But it is a drawing. in the end. nothing more nothing less.
If you want to discuss child porn then take it to
scientist-urges-for-legalization-of-child-pornography-to-low-t37584.html?hilit=child%20porn
a discussion has already started there.


Ok so if someone is just drawing images of underage girls performing sexual acts or getting raped/murdered it's ok?

You have to draw the line somewhere. Just because you don't SEE a victim doesn't mean there is no victim here.

I'm also not comparing drawings to child porn. I'm playing devil's advocate. If one thing is good enough to ban, then everything is good enough to ban.

Having said that, I'll say this: I'm not a fan of banning anything. IMO nothing should be banned. Banning anything for any reason is a feeble attempt at control.

What I'm doing here is merely pointing out flaws in logic.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:24 am

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 5:01 pm » by Roadkill


As long as they keep the dirty panties vending machines in operation.....
Science will fly you into the Cosmos


Upload to Disclose.tv



Religion will fly you into Buildings

Writer
User avatar
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:09 am

PostWed Dec 15, 2010 5:05 pm » by Echos185


Guess the question is where do you draw the line?
Image


PreviousNext

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook