Trolls Recommendations For Cool Holiday Viewing.

Super Moderator

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 10:10 pm » by Troll2rocks

Christmas is here again, and most of us will find ourselves with many things to do, but at some point between repeats of Home Alone and It's A Wonderful Life you will find yourself wondering what you could be watching instead. Providing you're not playing the next generation of gaming consoles.

Here are a few of my recommendations for maximum viewing pleasure over the holidays.

The Hobbit Extended Edition 3D Blu Ray.

Say what you want about the film, I enjoy annual instalments of middle earth, but this blu ray comes with an in-depth documentary on the making of this chapter of J RR Tolkiens The Hobbit. It's over nine hours long. YES NINE HOURS, and it happens to be fantastic.

PACIFIC RIM 3D Blu Ray.

You need to see this to believe it, the most visually stunning film since James Cameron's AVATAR. Plus it has giant Kaiju's fighting giant Jaegars. Also known as monsters fighting robots for the rest of the world.

BREAKING BAD.

Believe every single word of hype you have heard about this show. If you haven't already, you should start right here and expect to be hooked as you watch all five seasons back to back.

JUSTIFIED.

I'm amazed at how little people speak of this show. This show is Breaking Bad good, only funnier, which is a bold claim to make but it genuinely is. So take my word for it and dig into the four currently available seasons so far. You will not be disappointed. If you like Breaking Bad, you will also love Justified.

HOUSE OF CARDS.

The talent behind this online exclusive show is impeccable. David Fincher (Fight Club) Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network) are the key figures behind this show, and it is amazing. This show is odd in that it doesn't contain a single likeable character. They are all scumbags in their own way, but none more so than Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood, who is king. This is another masterpiece of a show and season two looks to be even better. This show is also released in complete seasons which means you can watch it all at once, and trust me, you will want to.

THE NEWSROOM.

As with the above, this next series (and the one below) are also credited to Aaron Sorkin. His writing and quick wit are what make his shows special. The Newsroom is a fantastic series based upon genuine journalism of both Aaron himself and others he worked with. Project Genoa will make many on here sit up and pay attention. The fictionalised stories presented are all based upon genuine journalism.

THE WEST WING

Another Sorkin masterpiece so just watch it. The characters and writing make this show something special. If only real presidents and governments were as likeable and well intentioned as the cast of this incredibly classy, funny, and well performed show.

SHERLOCK

I hate Sherlock Holmes, but trust me on this, not only is this show modern witty and incredibly funny, but is also so sharply written that you will be speechless by the end of season two. Season three hits January 1st and is shaping up to be a cultural phenomenon after the cliffhanger of season two. How in the hell did he survive that ? HOW!

THE WIRE

Created by real cops, starring incredible talent pulled from the very places the show depicts. This show will open your eyes to inherent problems on both sides of the fence. It's truly special, and brought us one of the most amazing characters to ever grace the small screen. Omar.

THE SHIELD.

The Shield is what happens when you cross Breaking Bad with The Wire, the results are glorious. This is a show unafraid to highlight corrupt police. This show also has one of the single greatest endings of a show in history. Trust me on this, it's worth getting there.

LOST.

It's fun getting to the end, but don't expect revelations. Or maybe that's exactly what you should expect. The point is the trip is so much fun and so well performed and shot that whatever the outcome, you will be glad you saw it. Opinion is divided on the eventual end, but the point is you have to find out for yourself. I know this... it will hook you after the first episode.

Happy Christmas DTV and trust me when I say every single show and film above is worthy of your time and will thoroughly entertain you over the festive season if you find yourself stuck for stuff to watch.

:cheers:
Censorship debunking & disinformation, it's all in a days work.

Super Moderator

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 10:42 pm » by -Marduk-

Awesum recommendations Troll,

but if you don't mind, I would like to add:

Battlestar Galactica
If you haven't seen the show you really must, and if you're not a fan of Sci-Fi, don't be put off; this is a dark, gritty and daring show that deals with many controversial themes, particularly when you think back to when this was made. With story lines revolving around God, religion, genocide and the survival of the human race, and involving suicide bombings, prophecies and visions it could be considered to be quite controversial. The cast and writing is excellent.

:peep:
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Initiate

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 11:52 pm » by Gignac

Davinci's Demons is also an exellent show, there is only 1 season but it is great!

Also, Fringe is a cool show too, its like X files but more out there.

a bunch of people have recommended House of Cards, I will def have to give it a shot

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 1:16 am » by Troll2rocks

-Marduk- wrote:Awesum recommendations Troll,

Battlestar Galactica
If you haven't seen the show you really must, and if you're not a fan of Sci-Fi, don't be put off; this is a dark, gritty and daring show that deals with many controversial themes, particularly when you think back to when this was made. With story lines revolving around God, religion, genocide and the survival of the human race, and involving suicide bombings, prophecies and visions it could be considered to be quite controversial. The cast and writing is excellent.

AWESOME :flop:

I need to catch up with this, I saw the initial mini series and a couple of episodes of the second season and they were fantastic. I have no idea why I didn't continue I think I just got distracted, but thanks for reminding me, I think I just found my holiday viewing. :cheers:

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 am » by Spock

American Horror Story

I didn't think I would enjoy American Horror Story, but I really have.

My wife watched all the seasons as they came out and I caught glimpses of 1 and 2 which, because I didn't know the story line I didn't care for.

So, Season 3 is airing now and I started watching Season 3 since each season is a different story (utilizing the same actors, but not characters) Kathy Bates, Jessica Lang, Sarah Paulson, Zachary Quinto (Spock) - holy cow is he a gay dude in this, Dylan McDermott...

Anyway, so I am loving Season 3, and went back to watch Season 1, just finished that today (at work :D ) and can't wait to start Season 2.

These writers are DISTURBED!!!!

It's a drama and a work of macabre art!

Even the intro is disturbingly brilliant - from music to art - check it out...

Upload to Disclose.tv

I do agree Troll - I definitely want to get into all the Hobbit flicks.

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 1:53 am » by Troll2rocks

Spock wrote:American Horror Story

I didn't think I would enjoy American Horror Story, but I really have.

My wife watched all the seasons as they came out and I caught glimpses of 1 and 2 which, because I didn't know the story line I didn't care for.

So, Season 3 is airing now and I started watching Season 3 since each season is a different story (utilizing the same actors, but not characters) Kathy Bates, Jessica Lang, Sarah Paulson, Zachary Quinto (Spock) - holy cow is he a gay dude in this, Dylan McDermott...

Anyway, so I am loving Season 3, and went back to watch Season 1, just finished that today (at work :D ) and can't wait to start Season 2.

These writers are DISTURBED!!!!

It's a drama and a work of macabre art!

Even the intro is disturbingly brilliant - from music to art - check it out...

Upload to Disclose.tv

I do agree Troll - I definitely want to get into all the Hobbit flicks.

Oh man yes, I forgot about this one, it really is a good show, season one is amazing, season two is really good too, and I have heard amazing things about season three but haven't seen it yet, and agreed the opening credits are the best on TV bar none, the theme tune too. The show is absolutely twisted.

I forgot to add Hannibal on the list too, that actually is one of the best series on TV right now, certainly the bloodiest and most expensive. If you like American Horror Story you will love that. Incredibly it's actually better than the films too, I highly recommend it, TV has actually surpassed cinema for premium entertainment. Happy Christmas man :cheers:

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 1:55 am » by Spock

Awesome - I have wondered about Hannibal, I believe it's on NetFlix too - thanks for the recommendation!

Initiate

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 2:36 am » by Naranja

Misleading title, it should read "..for boring generic hipster viewing."

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 3:33 am » by Evildweeb

Troll2rocks wrote:
-Marduk- wrote:Awesum recommendations Troll,

Battlestar Galactica

AWESOME :flop:

I need to catch up with this, I saw the initial mini series and a couple of episodes of the second season and they were fantastic. I have no idea why I didn't continue I think I just got distracted, but thanks for reminding me, I think I just found my holiday viewing. :cheers:

To both Marduk AND Troll, and anyone else interested in the further BSG episodes.

I only saw season one on TV (before I pulled the plug utterly and completely).

I found a site with the entire series and I watched it at the rate of about 2-4 shows a day when I could.

When I got done with the entire series, I since have moved BSG to the top of the best writing, filming, CG, story line, double whammos you never see coming. THIS IS AWESOME ENTERTAINMENT.

It isn't about the scifi, the STORY is a win win every step of the way.

By the end, I was in tears. Not because it's bad, but because I knew it was over.

It's that good and worthy of the time and attention.

Merry HannuKwanzaXmas to all.

Cheers buddies. Be safe.

:cheers:

I am not a Conspiracy Theorist - I AM AN ORGANIZED CRIME INVESTIGATOR

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 4:05 am » by Spock

Naranja wrote:Misleading title, it should read "..for boring generic hipster viewing."

Must suck to be you.