Turmeric Extract 100% Effective At Preventing Type 2 Diabete

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:10 am » by Noentry

Turmeric Extract 100% Effective At Preventing Type 2 Diabetes, , ADA Journal Study Finds

A remarkable human clinical study published in the journal Diabetes Care, the journal of the American Diabetes Association, revealed that turmeric extract was 100% successful at preventing prediabetic patients from becoming diabetic over the course of a 9-month intervention.[1]

Performed by Thailand researchers, the study’s primary object was to assess the efficacy of curcumin, the primary polyphenol in turmeric which gives the spice its golden hue, in delaying the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) in a prediabetic population.

The study design was a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial including 240 subjects who met the American Diabetic Association’s criteria for prediabetes. All subjects were randomly assigned to receive either 250 mg of curcuminoid or placebo capsules for 9 months.

Type 2 diabetes progression was assessed by measuring a wide range of parameters, including changes in the insulin-producing cells within the pancreas known as β-cells, insulin resistance, and the anti-inflammatory cytokine known as adiponectin, at four different times: baseline, 3-, 6-, and 9-month visits during the course of intervention.
http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/turmeri ... udy-finds/
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:13 am » by Harbin

Using it currently. Seem to have more alertness and a better attitude.

That is on top of my natural stellar disposition. :)
Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:19 am » by Noentry

Harbin wrote:Using it currently. Seem to have more alertness and a better attitude.

Nothing better then first hand knowledge.
Harbin how do you ingest it?
Do you add it to food or take it as a lone supplement?
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:30 am » by Harbin

Noentry wrote:
Harbin wrote:Using it currently. Seem to have more alertness and a better attitude.

Nothing better then first hand knowledge.
Harbin how do you ingest it?
Do you add it to food or take it as a lone supplement?

Capsules. Let's see...

Standardized 95% curcumin, 300 mg per capsule.

2 or 600 mg with breakfast. I am not using it for diabetes, but as a general anti-inflammatory.
Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 am » by Noentry

Harbin wrote:
Capsules. Let's see...

Standardized 95% curcumin, 300 mg per capsule.

2 or 600 mg with breakfast. I am not using it for diabetes, but as a general anti-inflammatory.

Cool this is next on my shopping list.
Seems like this root has exceptional healing qualities for many different ailments.
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:53 am » by RATRODROB

Noentry wrote:Turmeric Extract 100% Effective At Preventing Type 2 Diabetes, , ADA Journal Study Finds

A remarkable human clinical study published in the journal Diabetes Care, the journal of the American Diabetes Association, revealed that turmeric extract was 100% successful at preventing prediabetic patients from becoming diabetic over the course of a 9-month intervention.[1]

Performed by Thailand researchers, the study’s primary object was to assess the efficacy of curcumin, the primary polyphenol in turmeric which gives the spice its golden hue, in delaying the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) in a prediabetic population.

The study design was a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial including 240 subjects who met the American Diabetic Association’s criteria for prediabetes. All subjects were randomly assigned to receive either 250 mg of curcuminoid or placebo capsules for 9 months.

Type 2 diabetes progression was assessed by measuring a wide range of parameters, including changes in the insulin-producing cells within the pancreas known as β-cells, insulin resistance, and the anti-inflammatory cytokine known as adiponectin, at four different times: baseline, 3-, 6-, and 9-month visits during the course of intervention.
http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/turmeri ... udy-finds/

Good post Noentry,
is there any evidence that turmeric may help if you do all ready have type 2 .
I were diagnosed with it 10yrs ago, it runs in my family on mothers side.
I would love to know if there is some powerful NATURAL extract, as I inject twice a day and also take tablets, I eat pretty well and get exercise.
it seems like a vicious circle in that, the medication helps in the short term but in my opinion the same medication seems to make my diabetes worse, so I am having to increase my levels of medication to combat the long term effects, hope that makes sence, :flop:

RRR
The more people i meet, the more i like my dog

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:58 am » by Noentry

RATRODROB wrote:
Good post Noentry,
is there any evidence that turmeric may help if you do all ready have type 2 .
I were diagnosed with it 10yrs ago, it runs in my family on mothers side.
I would love to know if there is some powerful NATURAL extract, as I inject twice a day and also take tablets, I eat pretty well and get exercise.
it seems like a vicious circle in that, the medication helps in the short term but in my opinion the same medication seems to make my diabetes worse, so I am having to increase my levels of medication to combat the long term effects, hope that makes sence, :flop:

RRR

Thank you RATRODROB I had a look for you and it seems it may help you. Here is the article.

Turmeric could be the link to treating type 2 diabetes
Researchers at The University of Queensland Diamantina Institute are developing a new technology derived from turmeric that could provide hope for patients with type 2 diabetes.

In Australia, type 2 diabetes affects about 3.5% of the population and usually occurs in adults over the age of 45. It is primarily caused by lifestyle factors and is associated with obesity, hypertension and elevated cholesterol.

Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas which moves sugar from the food we eat into the body's cells. Patients with type 2 diabetes either cannot produce enough insulin or have a condition called ‘insulin resistance’, where the insulin they do produce is not used properly.

It is now known that insulin resistance arises due to misguided inflammation signals from the immune system. The immune cells that reside both in adipose (‘fat’) tissue and in the liver appear to be the major culprits: they release pro-inflammatory compounds that disrupt the way the body handles insulin.

Dr Brendan O’Sullivan, a Senior Research Officer at UQDI, and his team wanted to know precisely which immune cells in these tissues cause insulin resistance and whether this could be off-set by treating them with curcumin, the yellow ingredient derived from the spice turmeric.

“Curcumin, which is the yellow compound that you see in curries, has been used as a herbal remedy for diabetes for centuries,” explains Dr O’Sullivan. We now know that curcumin acts as a specific blocker of the inflammatory signals that arise in diabetes.

While curcumin can be consumed at high levels, the amount of bioactive curcumin within the blood is very low and is delivered to the entire body, rather than as a concentrated dose where it’s really needed.

“By encapsulating curcumin in microscopic lipid droplets, they can be delivered to the liver and adipose tissue to prevent the production of diabetes-inducing inflammatory compounds,” he said.

These droplets, called ‘curcusomes’, were found to improve diabetes in mice by lowering levels of inflammatory compounds and subsequently reducing insulin resistance.

Moreover, the researchers were also able to precisely determine which immune cells triggered insulin resistance in the first place: a cell type called Tip-DCs in the liver and adipose tissue macrophages (ATMs) in fat tissue. This vital information expands our knowledge about how diabetes arises.

O’Sullivan’s team is now optimising the curcusome technology into a drug to prevent liver inflammation in obesity, a common precursor to diabetes.

If successful, the treatment could be combined with existing anti-diabetic drugs to reduce complications associated with diabetes in patients. Curcusomes may also prove effective in the treatment of other conditions such as cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and certain forms of liver disease.

Dr O'Sullivan received a Smart State Fellowship from the State Government and funding from Arthritis QLD to explore potential diabetes treatments.

Results from this study were recently published in Diabetes Journal.
http://www.di.uq.edu.au/turmeric-and-type-2-diabetes

Hope this is helpful.
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 2:30 am » by RATRODROB

I really appreciate that NE, I will sus out this curcumin theory, thanx again pal, :flop:

RRR
The more people i meet, the more i like my dog

Conspirator

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 1:24 am » by Harbin

http://www.sott.net/article/265006-Groundbreaking-study-finds-turmeric-extract-superior-to-prozac-for-depression

Groundbreaking study finds turmeric extract superior to prozac for depression
Sayer Ji
Greenmedinfo.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:32 CDT
Print
A new study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research has confirmed for the first time in a randomized, controlled clinical trial that the primary polyphenol in turmeric known as curcumin is both safe and effective in treating serious states of depression.[1]

The research was performed at the Department of Pharmacology, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India, and involved patients diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD). The objective of the trial was to compare the efficacy and safety of curcumin with fluoxetine (Prozac) in 60 patients diagnosed with MDD. Subjects were randomized to receive either a six week treatment with fluoxetine (20 mg) and curcumin (1000 mg) individually or their combination.

Success of the treatment was evaluated using the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAM-D17). The results were reported as follows:

We observed that curcumin was well tolerated by all the patients. The proportion of responders as measured by the HAM-D17 scale was higher in the combination group (77.8%) than in the fluoxetine [Prozac] (64.7%) and the curcumin (62.5%) groups; however, these data were not statistically significant (P = 0.58). Interestingly, the mean change in HAM-D17 score at the end of six weeks was comparable in all three groups (P = 0.77). This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders. [emphasis added]

Discussion

If the results of this relatively small trial are applicable to a wider population, this is truly groundbreaking news. There was already a rather sizable body of preclinical research indicating that curcumin is an effective antidepressant in the animal model,[2] but this was not enough to sway most physicians who practice so-called "evidence based medicine" into actually suggesting it to patients as a Prozac or antidepressant alternative. And this is understandable, as the lack of solid human clinical evidence supporting the use of a natural substance is no small matter from a legal-regulatory perspective. Unless a substance has passed through the approximately 800 million dollar financial gauntlet of phase I, II, and III clinical trials required to apply for FDA drug approval, and has actually received that approval, there is scant legal protection for those who use natural medicines to prevent or treat disease and who might face a lawsuit, frivolous or genuine, as a result of a claim of injury.

Curcumin, of course, is extremely safe, with a 2010 phase I safety study finding that oral doses as high as 8 grams a day were well tolerated.[3] Fluoxetine, on the other hand, is highly controversial due to its well-known toxicity, and its laundry list of side effects, which include suicidal ideation (not a good side effect for someone already depressed!).

Also, even though it would appear the study found that curcumin and Prozac were equivalent in effectiveness, the fact that curcumin comes "...without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders," clearly proves its superiority over Prozac. There are also a wide range of additional side benefits that come with using curcumin, including its powerful neuroprotective properties. You will find no less than 109 studies on our database documenting curcumin's ability to protect, and in some cases restore brain function. [see research here: curcumin's neuroprotective properties]

Studies like this are greatly encouraging as they confirm the timeless wisdom of plant, mineral and nutrient-based medical interventions which were once the norm before pharmaceutical medicine, only recently, attempted to dominate the spectrum of alternatives available to the public.

Some final details that may be of assistance are: 1) curcumin is approximately 3-4% of the whole root powder by weight. 2) curcumin is poorly bioavailable, as it is alcohol and not water or fat soluble, so must be taken in higher quantities, or in combination with either carrier molecules such as the phospholipid phosphatidyl choline or bioavailability enhancers such as black pepper, or the primary compound responsible for increased absorption in black pepper: piperine.

For additional information on the topics covered here read:

600 Reasons Turmeric May Be The World's Most Important Herb

References

[1] Jayesh Sanmukhani, Vimal Satodia, Jaladhi Trivedi, Tejas Patel, Deepak Tiwari, Bharat Panchal, Ajay Goel, Chandra Bhanu Tripathi. Efficacy and Safety of Curcumin in Major Depressive Disorder: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Phytother Res. 2013 Jul 6. Epub 2013 Jul 6. PMID: 23832433

[2] GreenMedInfo.com, Animal Research on Curcumin's Anti-depressive Properties

[3] Masashi Kanai, Kenichi Yoshimura, Masanori Asada, Atsushi Imaizumi, Chihiro Suzuki, Shigemi Matsumoto, Takafumi Nishimura, Yukiko Mori, Toshihiko Masui, Yoshiya Kawaguchi, Kazuhiro Yanagihara, Shujiro Yazumi, Tsutomu Chiba, Sushovan Guha, Bharat B Aggarwal. A phase I/II study of gemcitabine-based chemotherapy plus curcumin for patients with gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2010 Sep 22. Epub 2010 Sep 22. PMID: 20859741

About the author

Sayer Ji is an author, researcher, lecturer, and advisory board member of the National Health Federation.

He founded Greenmedinfo.com in 2008 in order to provide the world an open access, evidence-based resource supporting natural and integrative modalities. It is widely recognized as the most widely referenced health resource of its kind.

Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of GreenMedInfo or its staff.

more good news... :owned:
Antiwar.com