U.S. spy agency gives NASA two Hubble-quality telescopes

Super Moderator

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 pm » by domdabears

NASA plans to use them for the study of dark energy, but it could take years to prepare them for orbit

Two powerful spy telescopes built for the U.S. intelligence agency National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) will be used for a completely different purpose than originally intended. Given to NASA by the NRO, these Hubble-quality telescopes will be repurposed to be used not for covert surveillance operations, but for the study of dark energy.

NRO spokesperson Loretta DeSio said the telescopes have 7.9-foot mirrors like Hubble, but they use "newer, much lighter mirror and structure technology." Right now, the two agencies refuse to divulge much information, and most details are kept under wraps. According to The Washington Post, the telescopes could be tweaked versions of KH-11 Kennan reconnaissance satellites that NRO has been using since 1976.

The telescopes, NASA decided recently, will be used for the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST) project. They will monitor and look for stellar explosions called supernovae that could shed light on the mystery of dark energy — a term for the hypothetical energy-fluid that fills up space and accelerates the expansion of the universe.

Makes you wonder what took their place....hmmm.

In other words the CIA says hey NASA you can have these, they are obsolete now compared to what we currently have now.

We have no idea what our government has put into space, or for what reason.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- ... 03111.html
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 6:29 pm » by Savwafair2012

FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Super Moderator

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 6:37 pm » by domdabears

Savwafair2012 wrote:Looks like they found something

us-secret-space-mission-completed-after-1-yr-in-orbit-t73270.html

Maybe
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 pm » by Mushroom

But it turns out that it is happening in real life too. The National Science Foundation has just revealed the existence of not one but two pristine, Hubble-class space telescopes still in their original wrappings in a warehouse in Rochester, N.Y. The pair was originally built for the National Reconnaissance Office, the agency in charge of spy satellites, to look down at Earth rather than up into space. But the NRO has moved on to bigger and better instruments, and decided to hand the telescopes over. "It just blew me away when I heard about this," says Princeton astrophysicist David Spergel, a member of the National Academy of Science's Committee on Astrophysics and Astronomy. "I knew nothing about it."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... z3HhnSHjy1