UNEMPLOYMENT FOR BLACK YOUTH IN AMERICA 49%

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 15, 2010 6:15 pm » by Thebluecanary

Growing up and living most of my life in the south, I understand when Christomite says that there is an expectation that the white race as a whole should feel guilt, that it's somehow unspoken but expected. If you are not an unrepentant racist, it seems like you are supposed to assimilate the guilt of past generations and let it color all your interactions with people of other races. Like walking on eggshells, like ignoring the elephant in the center of the room. My ancestors were poor sharecroppers. They never owned slaves. In fact, in essence, they themselves WERE slaves, bent over in the hot sun picking someone else's cotton long after the Emancipation Proclamation. Some of them were Cherokee Indians, and as such dealt with just as much racist bullshit and oppression and past tragedy as their black neighbors on the poor side of town. Our small town, like any other, had it's share of racists but I was not brought up that way; my parents taught me that people deep down are the same inside and want the same things. I was friends with all kinds of people, all races and whatever. One of my best friends was black, from the poorest shittiest scariest black neighborhood a small town can have. Her mother was what you might classify as a living stereotype herself: multiple kids by multiple fathers, none in the picture, living on welfare and food stamps, an alcoholic. My friend was super smart and saw school as her way out of a lifestyle she didn't want. She worked her ass off, was top of her class in every grade. She was valedictorian of our high school class and scored a full ride to Duke. Instead of being proud of her, encouraging her, her own family, even her own mother, punished her and teased her mercilessly for "acting white." They didn't even come to her graduation. Years later, when she was in law school, she and I were having coffee and talking about life. The conversation turned to her young niece, who she was trying to encourage to work hard in school and focus on goals that might help her get out of that cycle of poverty as well. We talked about race and racism and she looked at me and said something I'll never forget: that in her life, she could not honestly say that any white person had ever tried to hold her down. In her case, she said, it was her own people who had tried to do that.

I put myself through school working in a kitchen at another local college. I was the only white person working there who wasn't a manager. My first two months, I dealt constantly with stupid schoolyard bullshit from the kitchen manager, Miss Marion, and her cronies, a covey of older black church women. Finally, I asked them point blank why they hated me so much: Miss Marion's reply was, "Because you're white, and white people don't know what it's like to work." I informed her that this was bullshit. I'd grown up dirt poor on a farm, worked my whole damn life, busted ass for anything I'd ever had. I told her she was a fucking racist. After that, one of her cronies came up to me at break and we started talking. She was an older black woman, single mom of 2 kids with a grown daughter my age. We ended up being good friends. We used to go fishing all the time at the pond down below her house. I saw her struggling to raise her son right, and heard her express her frustration at how at every turn everything else he saw on TV and from his peers about the "right" way to be a man undermined her attempts to make something other than a thug of him. She eventually moved to another state to get him away from the boys he was hanging with. She was constantly frustrated at the way young men of her own race acted, and said once she didn't know how they could be the way they were because compared to the way she'd grown up, in the segregated South, they had a world of opportunity open to them. For the four years that I worked there, I worked hard and made many friends, but the old church lady mafia continued to treat me badly and gave Retha shit for having a "white friend." The shit they said and did, if I'd done them directed at a black person, would have got me fired.

So, yeah. I guess I'm saying that yes, it is a complex issue. But it's a complex issue that has culpability on both sides. And as long as some aspects of black culture continue to glorify criminality and violence those young people are going to have problems and until someone is willing to step in and call them on it and offer some other alternative it is not going to just go away. Not with sensitivity training or hand holding or blaming people alive now for shit that was done before any of us was ever born. We all have to live in the same damn house now, and at some point some hard questions are going to have to be answered before anything gets any better.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Writer

PostFri Oct 15, 2010 7:02 pm » by gregorylewis1

Very complex issue indeed. There is no one answer. "Black people" cannot just get over it when they are still living in conditions which are below the standard for everyone else, and if you think about it "Black" people have lost everything; their culture, their orginal way of living(before slavery), their language etc. I see exactly why "Black" people are mad and to say they should not be well... I do not believe "Black" people blame any particular "white" person for their issues, but I do agree it is irrational to sit there and blame everyone. Going even further I think it's irrational that "black" people as a whole tolerate the way they are living, and I do agree it is largely upon people within the "black community" point out the bullshit image that is being portrayed in the media and within their own community. There is a larger percentage of "black" people who are out of the ghetto and thrive in this culture but as a whole....I believe the answer to this problem, just like the answer to every other problem in this country, is people need to wake up, not be brain washed by the media and turn off the television. Be your own romodel, think about what it is your doing, create your own way of life not being bound to your city, culture, or even this country. "Black" people can and probably will continue the struggle to fit in to this society which does not really want them to. And even if "black people" and every other "people" fit into this society can anybody/everybody really forget the history behind why most of us are even here.

Conspirator

PostSat Oct 16, 2010 9:39 pm » by Thebluecanary

gregorylewis1 wrote:There is no one answer. "Black people" cannot just get over it when they are still living in conditions which are below the standard for everyone else, and if you think about it "Black" people have lost everything; their culture, their orginal way of living(before slavery), their language etc. I see exactly why "Black" people are mad and to say they should not be well...

You know, I wasn't going to post on this topic anymore because I had pretty much covered my point and all, but something occurred to me today because I've really been thinking a lot about all this and trying to see all sides. First, I guess it depends on what you mean about living conditions below the standard for everyone else. Yes, there is poverty in this country, but poverty does not discriminate and there are poor white people as well as poor black people. And as for how bad it is...yeah, I'm sure if you mean living in the ghetto that sucks, it sucks to be poor anywhere. Maybe try visiting an Indian reservation sometime, those are pretty damn grimn too. That said, tho, we in America have the luxury of not really knowing what it's like in countries where they have a REAL peasant class. I'm talking about children dying because they have no food and water or medical care at all. Places where crowds of people wait at the dump for the vans to come drop off garbage from the nice tourist hotels so that they can eat that day. Places where you can hire an entire mercenary army and pay them in clean drinking water. Like, I don't know, Africa? Nobody here in this lifetime, even the poorest of the poor, knows what it's like to watch their child die because they literally cannot provide food and water for them. Even when we do without, we've got it lots better than a large portion of the rest of the world.

Today I was cleaning a house out in a part of the county where there have been a rash of home invasions which made me think of a horrible home invasion a few years before, when some burglars broke into a house where an 11-year old girl was home sick with mono. They beat her and then shot her in the head before they stole what they came to steal, and when they got caught they turned out to be some black kids from the next neighborhood over. The oldest was maybe 18, the youngest 14. We're talking about a mixed development in the suburbs here. Yeah, maybe the little girl's house was a little bit bigger, maybe her TV a little nicer, but the kids that killed her weren't exactly living in Watts. They had nice new clothes and the obligatory expensive sneakers and had the little girl lived her and the youngest murderer would probably have attended the same (nice, yuppified) high school together. Yet at the trial, these boys taunted the little dead girl's mother. They were unrepentant. They were modeling that glorified criminal thug wanna-be bullshit that so many of them seem to think passes for manhood. And now they don't get to grow up to experience real manhood because all of them are in prison waiting to be killed themselves.

Violent crime is a reality here, to the point that myself and every one I know can't fully relax even out in the country and just be home and safe because the scumbags will come right to you. And yes, all races commit crimes and I'm not implying that black people are all criminals, but it isn't just the white biased media that's portraying them as such. There are opportunities for everyone. There are also opportunities to exercise free will and value human life over bullshit conspicuous consumption garbage like thick gold chains and stupid giant tires with chrome plated spinning rims, which seems to be the prime motivation for most of the criminal element around here to need to supplement their income by taking my stuff and maybe killing me in the process.

This guy:

invokes the same gut reaction as this guy:

and until there is honest dialogue on both sides without the constant assumption that one side is more entitled to violence and hate than the other because of some stuff that happened a long time ago, there is always going to be ignorance and hate on both sides which I think is something none of us can afford.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Previous