UNEMPLOYMENT FOR BLACK YOUTH IN AMERICA 49%

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 10110
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostTue Oct 12, 2010 11:03 pm » by Savwafair2012


UNEMPLOYMENT FOR BLACK YOUTH IN AMERICA 49%

No wonder Islam will take over America Half these poor fool's will jump on that Islamic band wagon faster then any Gang.

It just a harsh fact to deal with. It's plan and simple racism in 2010. With all the unemployment there is no need for employers to hire kid's with criminal past's.

Seeing as how 35% of all black males end up in jail for one reason or another will have a dramatic effect on employment

As we examine the State of Black America in 2010, we are overwhelmed by the current crisis of unemployment.

African-Americans are twice as likely as whites to be unemployed, and in some areas of the country, nearly one in four young black men are out of work.

The National Urban League has asked people who've been affected by the crisis to share their stories through our new social mobilization platform at www.iamempowered.com. Their stories are both heartbreaking and hopeful.

Christina, a 45-year-old woman, unemployed for 15 months, struggles to care for her cancer-stricken mother: "Other than screaming I am not sure what I will do in the next few months without gainful employment. The chronic need in communities of color is not to just extend unemployment benefits but to give us counselors at the unemployment office who have the time, skills and energy to really offer concrete help."

Melissa, a young college graduate facing college loan payments, questions her decision to seek higher education: "Even if I defer my student loans the interest is growing so much that it will only make my situation worse. I need help, and not just a job bill but a career bill that allow for more entry-level jobs to help graduates get into some of these job fields that would allow equal chance to get a better salary.

A bewildered grandmother is desperate to hang on to her home and support her two granddaughters: "I have the skills that the employers are requesting, yet what are they looking for in a person? ...I sit at my computer, day in and day out, using the search engines to find leads on employment only to find nothing. There appears to be nothing out there."

A Chicago woman with dangerously high blood pressure and no health insurance has seen her family scatter in search of work: "I am not out of hope yet, but I am becoming one of the hopeless. I have lost all of my pride."

A young father, out of work for two years, has reached the end of his unemployment benefits: "I don't want a handout, just a job to help support my family and pay my debts and feel like a man again."

Mary Ellen Caron, Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Family and Support Services, wrote that last year's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act allowed the City of Chicago to offer an additional 8,000 summer job opportunities for economically disadvantaged youth, bringing the total of youth jobs funded by the city and its public and private partners to 20,000. The city received nearly 80,000 applications for the positions. "Without the ARRA funding there would have been summer jobs for only 14 percent- one in seven - of the young people that applied for one ... Without continued federal investment, an entire generation of young people is at risk of being severely or even permanently disconnected from the labor market."

Caron cited research showing that a quality teenage employment experience correlates to a successful adult transition into the labor market. People who are unemployed for long periods in their teens or early 20s are more likely to develop drinking or drug habits, depressive symptoms and other disruptive behavior.

I know my own summer job experiences as a teenager helped me build confidence and develop positive habits that helped shape my life. I think every young person deserves an equal shot at success.

That's why the National Urban League's plan, Putting Americans Back to Work, calls for at least a $5 million investment in the Youth Summer Jobs Program to employ up to five million teens, and the creation of 100 urban jobs academies to expand the Urban Youth Empowerment Program.

Our plan also proposes targeted investments now for direct job creation, greater access to credit for small businesses, additional counseling relief for those caught in the backlog of the foreclosure process, and tax incentives for clean energy companies who employ individuals in the targeted communities.

Melvin, a former convict, is trying to turn his life around: "No one wants to hire me, but that's okay because they don't know what they have in me as an asset to the company that hires me. I'm going to keep on plugging the holes and gaps through the help of the Urban League of Jacksonville, and I will not give up."

We at the National Urban League are with Melvin: we will not give up.
Image
FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2085
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: The outlet by the light switch

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 4:06 am » by Thebluecanary


I'm going to say this, and it's going to piss people off, and I don't give a fuck because it needs to be said. Yes, there is racism, and yes racism does prevent people from getting jobs. However, I feel that a large portion of this problem for young black men can be solved by something as simple as a class, maybe in high school, that teaches them how to fill out a job application correctly, how to dress and act when they come looking for a job, and how to present themselves overall. I was in charge of hiring for a retail business for many years. We had shitty upper management and as such had a high turnover. I fielded literally hundreds of applications every time we had an opening, and lots of young black men from the community came in looking for work, and most of them would be lucky if they ever get a job. Why? Not because the man is keeping them down, but because they don't seem to know how to apply for a job. It is not appropriate to apply for a job while dressed like you just got out of County. Don't wear baggy jeans, a wife beater and a bandanna. Don't say "Is you hirin up in here?" . Don't fill out a job application with your only reference as "My Girl" and a phone number. Does your girl not have a name? Do you not know that it is inappropriate to list your boy/girlfriend as a work reference anyway? Don't, under the question which asks "Why do you want to work here?" state "Because I needs a job to get my phone turned back on". These are actual events, I couldn't make this shit up if I tried. Once, one of the employees made copies of the application on the red paper that we used to make fliers instead of the white paper they were supposed to use. I had a young man ask for an application and I gave him one and he wouldn't take it.....because it's red, and he's a Crip, and he wants to know don't I have any that are blue. Not to say that there weren't a number of dumbass people with no idea how to act or present themselves of all races who came in looking for work, I assure you there were, but it seemed overall to be the biggest problem with young black men. It was like they honestly didn't know how to present themselves to a perspective employer.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just North Carolina. But seriously. You want a job? So does everyone else. If you REALLY want a job, maybe you should wash your ass, pull your pants up, dress and speak like you have self respect, and act like I could possibly feel good about the service you would give to my customers and the quality of work you would do. 50 cent and Lil Jon can dress and act and talk like that because someone pays them to. You can act and dress and speak however the hell you want on your own time. But when you come in to an open interview wearing a t-shirt with an AK 47 and the words TRU THUG 4 LIFE on it, don't expect a call back and don't blame racism. It undermines the struggle of people who actually are being held down by racism.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Conspirator
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 am

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 6:30 am » by Hackjames


thebluecanary wrote:I'm going to say this, and it's going to piss people off, and I don't give a fuck because it needs to be said.


There are better ways to lead into your argument. After reading it, I'm happy/sad to inform you that it has in fact already been said, many times and in many places (though not with the exact same series of words, obviously).

I'm sure your perspective is as plain as day to you, but (as with most things) there's a bit more to both sides of the issue than you've suggested. Just to make a generalized response to your generalization...there is no "right way" to interview for a job. There are loose standards that highly encourage conformity and deference to the prospective employer, but there is no "right way". I know what's "expected" in an interview, and have chosen in some cases to ignore that when I felt it was irrelevant. In two cases I can recall, I was hired anyway (anecdotal, but true).

All said, I understand your points but don't agree that they were necessary. If you think these issues will be corrected by simply formalizing the interview process for these young black males, you should consider what happens when employers come to find out that they don't think/act like they're expected to after the interview.

I'm not defending anyone or taking sides, but your view is an oversimplification and an unoriginal one at that. Sorry, no disrespect intended.
This is your world. You're the creator.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:30 pm

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am » by Aragajag


Interesting stuff mentioned. I never liked getting work in the so called normal way of resumes and interviews. I preferred getting the job at the pub or by word of mouth and it has led to some great experience and good pays.
Image
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Conspirator
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 6:20 am

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 am » by lamonema


thebluecanary wrote:I'm going to say this, and it's going to piss people off, and I don't give a fuck because it needs to be said. Yes, there is racism, and yes racism does prevent people from getting jobs. However, I feel that a large portion of this problem for young black men can be solved by something as simple as a class, maybe in high school, that teaches them how to fill out a job application correctly, how to dress and act when they come looking for a job, and how to present themselves overall. I was in charge of hiring for a retail business for many years. We had shitty upper management and as such had a high turnover. I fielded literally hundreds of applications every time we had an opening, and lots of young black men from the community came in looking for work, and most of them would be lucky if they ever get a job. Why? Not because the man is keeping them down, but because they don't seem to know how to apply for a job. It is not appropriate to apply for a job while dressed like you just got out of County. Don't wear baggy jeans, a wife beater and a bandanna. Don't say "Is you hirin up in here?" . Don't fill out a job application with your only reference as "My Girl" and a phone number. Does your girl not have a name? Do you not know that it is inappropriate to list your boy/girlfriend as a work reference anyway? Don't, under the question which asks "Why do you want to work here?" state "Because I needs a job to get my phone turned back on". These are actual events, I couldn't make this shit up if I tried. Once, one of the employees made copies of the application on the red paper that we used to make fliers instead of the white paper they were supposed to use. I had a young man ask for an application and I gave him one and he wouldn't take it.....because it's red, and he's a Crip, and he wants to know don't I have any that are blue. Not to say that there weren't a number of dumbass people with no idea how to act or present themselves of all races who came in looking for work, I assure you there were, but it seemed overall to be the biggest problem with young black men. It was like they honestly didn't know how to present themselves to a perspective employer.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just North Carolina. But seriously. You want a job? So does everyone else. If you REALLY want a job, maybe you should wash your ass, pull your pants up, dress and speak like you have self respect, and act like I could possibly feel good about the service you would give to my customers and the quality of work you would do. 50 cent and Lil Jon can dress and act and talk like that because someone pays them to. You can act and dress and speak however the hell you want on your own time. But when you come in to an open interview wearing a t-shirt with an AK 47 and the words TRU THUG 4 LIFE on it, don't expect a call back and don't blame racism. It undermines the struggle of people who actually are being held down by racism.

Two words come to mind. Equal Education

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 2:59 am
Location: Dublin

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 7:26 am » by Septeloid


There's work in Chile.

They're lookin for miners.

Might go meself.

Initiate
User avatar
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 am

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 7:54 am » by Christomite


hackjames wrote:
thebluecanary wrote:I'm going to say this, and it's going to piss people off, and I don't give a fuck because it needs to be said.


There are better ways to lead into your argument. After reading it, I'm happy/sad to inform you that it has in fact already been said, many times and in many places (though not with the exact same series of words, obviously).

I'm sure your perspective is as plain as day to you, but (as with most things) there's a bit more to both sides of the issue than you've suggested. Just to make a generalized response to your generalization...there is no "right way" to interview for a job. There are loose standards that highly encourage conformity and deference to the prospective employer, but there is no "right way". I know what's "expected" in an interview, and have chosen in some cases to ignore that when I felt it was irrelevant. In two cases I can recall, I was hired anyway (anecdotal, but true).

All said, I understand your points but don't agree that they were necessary. If you think these issues will be corrected by simply formalizing the interview process for these young black males, you should consider what happens when employers come to find out that they don't think/act like they're expected to after the interview.

I'm not defending anyone or taking sides, but your view is an oversimplification and an unoriginal one at that. Sorry, no disrespect intended.


This is what the problem,I don't know if liberals are all middle and uppermiddle class or just have never been around black people because I'm telling you pal these are'nt generalizations.They are'nt fucking sterotypes.I know what I'm talking about here.Somebody at somepoint is going to have to get realistic and realize that guilt,kindness and an increase in sympathy,food stamps,welfare checks and understanding IS NOT SOLVING JACK SHIT.The problem with black men not getting jobs is the same as any emo,punk,etc. take your pick.The problem is attitude and morality.For the sake of argument though,lets stay on topic of black men.You know what...fuck it....just stay on your high horse and take a deep breath of your own ass like it was the opening of a fine bottle of wine. :badair:

Conspirator
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 am

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 8:20 am » by Hackjames


christomite wrote:This is what the problem,I don't know if liberals are all middle and uppermiddle class or just have never been around black people because I'm telling you pal these are'nt generalizations.They are'nt fucking sterotypes.I know what I'm talking about here.Somebody at somepoint is going to have to get realistic and realize that guilt,kindness and an increase in sympathy,food stamps,welfare checks and understanding IS NOT SOLVING JACK SHIT.The problem with black men not getting jobs is the same as any emo,punk,etc. take your pick.The problem is attitude and morality.For the sake of argument though,lets stay on topic of black men.You know what...fuck it....just stay on your high horse and take a deep breath of your own ass like it was the opening of a fine bottle of wine. :badair:


Sure thing, glad we could come to an understanding. I'd forgotten that you're the only human who has had valid personal experience with anything in life, forgive me.
This is your world. You're the creator.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 2085
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: The outlet by the light switch

PostThu Oct 14, 2010 2:41 am » by Thebluecanary


There may be more to it, hackjames, but the simple fact is if you want a job you shouldn't come into the process acting as though you are an ignorant, illiterate thug. My parents impressed upon me the proper way to act and dress for a job hunt, and I have used it to my advantage all my life. It has served me well, and I am heavily tattooed and mostly what one would classify as an aging punk rock hippie sort, and the business where I worked was one where individuality and non-conformity among the staff was the norm. We didn't mind people with minds of their own, political views, life experiences, whatever. We employed people of all races and from all walks of life including several black males. But acting like a thug, dressing like a thug, and filling out a job application with misspellings and incomplete information says to me that you don't give a fuck and tells me I don't need to bother thinking about hiring you. If it has been said before, and I'm sure it has, it needs to be said more often, and impressed upon those who need to know it. Obviously these young men are clueless, don't care, and are blundering through life thinking that they can't get a job because evil whitey is holding them down. When in reality, they are holding themselves down. They don't need a pat on the head. Apparently, they need some form of better education. Or, they'll just all become criminals and blame the system for it, whatever works.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Conspirator
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 am

PostThu Oct 14, 2010 10:28 am » by Hackjames


thebluecanary wrote:There may be more to it, hackjames, but the simple fact is if you want a job you shouldn't come into the process acting as though you are an ignorant, illiterate thug. My parents impressed upon me the proper way to act and dress for a job hunt, and I have used it to my advantage all my life. It has served me well, and I am heavily tattooed and mostly what one would classify as an aging punk rock hippie sort, and the business where I worked was one where individuality and non-conformity among the staff was the norm. We didn't mind people with minds of their own, political views, life experiences, whatever. We employed people of all races and from all walks of life including several black males. But acting like a thug, dressing like a thug, and filling out a job application with misspellings and incomplete information says to me that you don't give a fuck and tells me I don't need to bother thinking about hiring you. If it has been said before, and I'm sure it has, it needs to be said more often, and impressed upon those who need to know it. Obviously these young men are clueless, don't care, and are blundering through life thinking that they can't get a job because evil whitey is holding them down. When in reality, they are holding themselves down. They don't need a pat on the head. Apparently, they need some form of better education. Or, they'll just all become criminals and blame the system for it, whatever works.


I think there is some value in what you're saying, but again, you're focusing on your view to the exclusion of anything else. I note that you concede there "may be more to it", but then immediately state a "simple truth" that clearly states that (practically) there isn't anything else to it.

I'm not invalidating that there are people who more or less stereotypically fill the roles you describe, but there are people of all races and backgrounds who share those qualities. That is pretty much the definition of racism, though I don't think you're speaking from a position of hate or anything like that...but you are singling out one group in particular and defining them based on qualities that are shared with many other groups.

Then there is the consideration that you're still talking about a quasi-formalized social interaction and treating it as though it were an objective feature of reality. You expected certain things when hiring, while expectations of other employers may/do swing wildly towards any potential extreme. Though I'm not going to suggest that there are not "standards" to a large degree, that fact doesn't address why they're there, how similar they are from one area to the next, and so on. It's just an oversimplification to say there is a right way to interview, and that knowing it will make anyone more fit for a job.

This isn't personal, I hope you understand. I'm only talking about the specific argument you're making, not you. :]
This is your world. You're the creator.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross


Next

  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook