Unpublished photos of Hitler's bunker...

Initiate

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm » by Edgar 2.0

Photos by William Vandivert—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images

In April 1945, as Russian and German troops fought — savagely, street by street — for control of the German capital, it became increasingly clear that the Allies would win the war in Europe. Not long after the two-week battle for Berlin ended, 33-year-old LIFE photographer William Vandivert was on the scene, photographing the city’s devastated landscape — and the eerie, almost unfathomable scene inside the bunker where Adolf Hitler spent the last months of his life; where he and Eva Braun were married; and where, just before war’s end, the two killed themselves.

Between August 1940 and March 1945 American, Royal Air Force and Soviet bombers launched more than 350 air strikes on Berlin; tens of thousands of civilians were killed, and countless buildings — apartment buildings, government offices, military installations — were obliterated. Vandivert, LIFE reported, “found almost every famous building [in Berlin] a shambles. In the center of town GIs could walk for blocks and see no living thing, hear nothing but the stillness of death, smell nothing but the stench of death.”

Hundreds of thousands perished in the Battle of Berlin — including untold numbers of civilian men, women and children — while countless more were left homeless amid the ruins. But it was two particular deaths, those of Hitler, 56, and Eva Braun, 33, in that sordid underground bunker on April 30, 1945, that signaled the true, final fall of the Third Reich.

William Vandivert, LIFE Magazine PhotographerVandivert (left, seen in the early 1940s) was the first Western photographer to gain access to Hitler’s Führerbunker, or “shelter for the leader,” after the fall of Berlin, and a handful of his pictures of the bunker and the ruined city were published in LIFE magazine in July 1945. A few of those images are republished here; most of the pictures in this gallery, however, never appeared in LIFE. Taken together, they illuminate the surreal, disturbing universe Vandivert encountered in the bunker itself, and in the streets of the vanquished city beyond the bunker’s walls.

http://life.time.com/history/photos-hitlers-bunker-and-the-ruins-of-berlin-april-1945

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 pm » by Harbin

...and the barbarians came in huge numbers to pillage and awe at and destroy at what they never could have built themselves...
Antiwar.com

Initiate

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 pm » by Edgar 2.0

Harbin wrote:...and the barbarians came in huge numbers to pillage and awe at and destroy at what they never could have built themselves...

Well, i wouldn't put it like that, really...
More like : "the sinister motherfucker had deserved it."

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm » by SUKHOV

Harbin wrote:...and the barbarians came in huge numbers to pillage and awe at and destroy at what they never could have built themselves...

Don't talk about my people like that.
The True Sons of Liberty are alive and well.
Мое сердце, мой спаситель, да будет свет.

Initiate

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 pm » by Edgar 2.0

Travvysavvy wrote:

I agree.
American casualties in th WW2 were miniscule compared to European ones. Especially Russian.

And it's utter nonsense to say that US of A set the Europe free.

Russian forces, combined with Partisans and Resistance throughout the Europe set the Europe free.

And if i were a Russian soldier at the time and place, i would set the fucking bunker on hellfire.
Without troubling myself of waiting for the posh American and Brit soldiers to take some pictures of my brutality.
Fuck, i'd shoot them as well if only they've said a wrong word...

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 am » by SUKHOV

Edgar 2.0 wrote:
Travvysavvy wrote:

I agree.
American casualties in th WW2 were miniscule compared to European ones. Especially Russian.

And it's utter nonsense to say that US of A set the Europe free.

Russian forces, combined with Partisans and Resistance throughout the Europe set the Europe free.

And if i were a Russian soldier at the time and place, i would set the fucking bunker on hellfire.
Without troubling myself of waiting for the posh American and Brit soldiers to take some pictures of my brutality.
Fuck, i'd shoot them as well if only they've said a wrong word...

I'd agree with that Edgar.

Another thing, The pure courage of the Europeans helped topple hitler and mussollinis grasp upon the land. They didn't comply and didn't want to comply no matter how hard the Fascists tried, that, alone, was a huge reason (in my opinion.)

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 am » by Harbin

So you have murderous intent towards posh British and American soldiers who say the wrong thing ? You can generate these feelings about a war you did not take part in ?
Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 3:49 am » by Temps13

wow these pictures are really interesting esp the ones at life magazine..see the cars with the rounded version of the swastika & the ss runes..
they had some cool iconography-pity they were fucking illuminati funded scum.
.when I was a kid in 1971 the surplus stores were still full of all sorts of cool outfits,flags..all kinds of badges,helmets etc etc
Image Image
IRMENSUL13

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 am » by SUKHOV

Harbin wrote:So you have murderous intent towards posh British and American soldiers who say the wrong thing ? You can generate these feelings about a war you did not take part in ?

Sure, why not Harbin.

It's not like my Grandmother in Law was the only survivor of her family in the Siege of Stalingrad, it's not like she had to eat whatever vermin she could get her hands on because there was no food, it's not like many froze to death, right?

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 am » by Noentry

Interesting post. Edgar.

Its not like there is anything of importance to see, why they have never before been published before? :headscratch:
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Next