US fighter jets drop "unarmed bombs" on Great Barrier Reef

Conspirator

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 10:18 am » by Tjahzi

Two US fighter jets dropped four unarmed bombs in Australia's Great Barrier Reef Marine Park when a training exercise went wrong, it has emerged.

The two AV-8B Harrier jets launched from aircraft carrier USS Bonhomme Richard each jettisoned an inert bomb and an unarmed explosive bomb in the World Heritage-listed marine park off the coast of Queensland state on Tuesday, the US 7th Fleet said.

The four bombs were dropped in more than 50 metres (164ft) of water away from coral to minimise possible damage to the reef, the statement said. None exploded.

The jets from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit had intended to drop the ordnances on the Townshend Island bombing range, but aborted the mission when controllers reported the area was not clear of hazards.

The pilots conducted the emergency jettison because they were low on fuel and could not land with their bomb load, the navy said.

The emergency happened on the second day of the biennial joint training exercise Talisman Sabre, which brings together 28,000 US and Australian military personnel over three weeks.

The US Navy and Marine Corps were working with Australian authorities to investigate the incident, the navy said.

Graeme Dunstan, among environmentalists and anti-war activists demonstrating against the joint exercise, said the mishap proved that the US military could not be trusted to protect the environment.

"How can they protect the environment and bomb the reef at the same time? Get real," he said from the Queensland coastal town of Yepoon near where the area of the war games.

The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest network of coral structures rich in marine life that stretches more than 1,800 miles along the Australian north-east coast.

:yell: Goddamn degenerates

Conspirator

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 10:50 am » by RATRODROB

fck me dead, the oceans friggin huge, why conduct there exercises anywhere near our beautiful reef, :headscratch:
The more people i meet, the more i like my dog

Conspirator

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 12:49 pm » by Phoenix rising

RATRODROB wrote:fck me dead, the oceans friggin huge, why conduct there exercises anywhere near our beautiful reef, :headscratch:

Like you say Rob it makes you wonder why of all places they do it there with one of the most delicate ecosystems in the world, i find it extremely hard to believe that of all places to drop them they would do it there, like you say the size of the ocean is huge, double head scratch time :headscratch: :headscratch:
We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Conspirator

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 1:11 pm » by mediasorcery

im glad there conducting exercises together frankly, don't think this would do much harm to the reef,, theyre not live bombs, I mean if anyone attacked Australia, where would all the greenies be then, arming up to defend us? doubt it, theyd be running to mummy, that's the problem with that mentality of peace and love etc etc, its all good and well but usually an attacking army don't give a shit about peace and love, they just shoot people or round em up, I don't like war at all, but, lets be realistic, that doesn't stop others from being warlike.
the story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again my friend.

Conspirator

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 1:44 pm » by Malogg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rcise.html

The rest will be in next post as only allowed 60000 characters to be posted at one time.
Every clown has a name eh what is yours?...

Conspirator

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 7:06 pm » by Tjahzi

A little summary perhaps Malogg? lol :mrgreen: