US President Barack Obama signs controversial NDAA into law

Conspirator

PostSun Jan 01, 2012 1:13 pm » by Mozi!!a

President Barack Obama signed the controversial National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) into law earlier today in Hawaii.
CNN reports Barack Obama "reluctantly signed a defense authorization bill, saying he was concerned about some in Congress who want to restrict options used by counterterrorism officials."
Even before the bill was signed by Obama, there were mixed feelings on NDAA.
The bill only has a 2 percent approval rating on a poll conducted by OpenCongress.com. Only 8 people support the bill out of 395 voters.
Another poll conducted by PopVox has the bill having a 9 percent approval rating and a 91 percent disapproval rating. The poll was out of 397 people.
One of the more controversial aspects of the bill involves the ability for the president to detain United States' citizens.
According to The International Business Times, "The bill affirms and codifies the U.S. President's authority to indefinitely detain in military custody anyone, including U.S. citizens, suspected of terrorism or supporting terrorists."
In a statement released after the signing of the bill, Obama says, "I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation."
Obama says even though he signed the bill he does not agree with everything that's included in the bill.
"I have signed this bill despite having serious reservations with certain provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation, and prosecution of suspected terrorists," Obama said.
CBS news reports, "If Mr. Obama violates any of the provisions in the bill, Congress could challenge the White House in court, which would have the final say in any dispute."
The $662 billion bill includes tough sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program.
Sponsored by Republican Representative from California, Howard McKeon, the Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act on November 30th, House on December May 26th. Changes were made to the original House bill in the Senate. The House passed the changes on December 14th. The Senate approved their changes on December 15th. The bill was introduced on April 13th.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z1iCiORj65

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostSun Jan 01, 2012 1:43 pm » by Blondie1w2000

I like how we're told he "reluctantly" signed it. Media spin at its finest.

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 02, 2012 8:58 pm » by Mydogma

So now if someone were to suggest occupy dc, that would give them cause to arrest u, so like this is martial law? Everything will be fine as long as you obey, ten bucks says the minute ron paul looks like he is running for victory., some bogus provoked event will happen and obama will suspend all rites and postpone elections indefinately until the turmoil settles, he will keep the turmoil...welcome to the new year
If you don't wake up, Your the problem, not the thief...www.cattledum.com

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 pm » by Mydogma

mydogma wrote:So now if someone were to suggest occupy dc, that would give them cause to arrest u, so like this is martial law? Everything will be fine as long as you obey, ten bucks says the minute ron paul looks like he is running for victory., some bogus provoked event will happen and obama will suspend all rites and postpone elections indefinately until the turmoil settles, he will keep the turmoil...welcome to the new year
If you don't wake up, Your the problem, not the thief...www.cattledum.com

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm » by Mozi!!a

Council on American-Islamic Relations objects to new NDAA law

Upload to Disclose.tv

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z1iKtPQhrV

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 02, 2012 10:52 pm » by Fatbastard

"We're Fucked."
"Senator. I am not now, nor have I ever been, an oil trader, and neither has anyone on my behalf. I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one, and neither has anyone on my behalf."

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 am » by Rydher

Upload to Disclose.tv

Back in 2006, Charlie Savage of the Boston Globe penned a story about President Bush's use of Signing Statements that quickly gained momentum, eventually turning into a full-blown pseudo-scandal. The story even won Mr. Savage a Pulitzer Prize. The supposedly controversial use of Signing Statements by President Bush, however, continued through the remainder of his Presidency.

During the 2008 campaign, they were a serious issue. Barack Obama--while campaigning for the Presidency--specifically said he would not use Signing Statements "as a way of doing an end run around Congress." Asked if he would promise to not use them to get his way, Obama answered "yes."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/12/31/statement-president-hr-1540

Super Moderator

PostTue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 am » by The57ironman

mydogma wrote:So now if someone were to suggest occupy dc, that would give them cause to arrest u, so like this is martial law? Everything will be fine as long as you obey, ten bucks says the minute ron paul looks like he is running for victory., some bogus provoked event will happen and obama will suspend all rites and postpone elections indefinately until the turmoil settles, he will keep the turmoil...welcome to the new year

yes ...........an october surprise...

he makes me sick listening to him , never mind looking at the long legged mack daddy

..... If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.......

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 pm » by Rydher

Just in case you didn't read the statement. All is good with no need to worry.

Moreover, I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens.

See? He won't authorize INDEFINITE detention without trial. He only wants the power to hold American's without trial for a limited amount time. Besides, when has Obama ever broken a promise or pledge?