Wail of the banshee????

Writer

PostTue May 11, 2010 12:21 pm » by Mutjack

That was very entertaining i dont see that i could give you any more imformation other than i live in the wexford country side where stories of the banshee are quite common.According to what i have been told if you hear the banshee it does not always mean a death it could mean a serious illness or accident that does not always end in death.Also the banshee song or wail has always been mournful never happy.I might add that the illness /accident/or death always follows within 24 hours so if its been a week since you heard the wailing it probably was not a banshee :)

Initiate

PostTue May 11, 2010 11:15 pm » by Nervousnjerky

Have you concidered a Racoon? I have on 2 occasions heard dieing /distressed Racoon make some strange wailing cries. I also live in a somewhat rural township in the N.E. US.
Perspective is everything.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=50236871

Conspirator

PostSun May 16, 2010 3:06 am » by Harbin

Yes I post this, though I do not claim to understand this.

Upload to Disclose.tv

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 8:22 pm » by Lambchop

Lynziswez wrote:With building work on my bathroom being replaced, for the last couple of weeks I have been struggling to sleep due to a chronic cough brought on by all the dust.

One night last week (think it was Tuesday night) I was up & down to the bathroom all night trying not to wake my husband. About 3am I once again climbed back into bed & was just about to doze off when I heard one of the most strangest sounds I have ever heard.

Our bedroom window was part open, (in the hope it would help me breath better) & the sound was so loud & clear it completely scared the s**t out of me.

At first it sounded like a demented monkey type of piercing scream that reverted to a wailing. It was such an eerie noise. The sound lasted for at least 30 /45 seconds .It was so scary I just froze. My mind was racing trying to comprehend what would make a noise like this, but I was that scared I wouldn't get up to the window to have a look.

I live on the edge of a small town, part rural, part suberbia & although there are a lot of fields & some tree's near by, I cannot think of anything that could make a sound like this. I have some large connifer trees at the bottom of my garden then a fence & then a path that circles a roundabout leading onto 3 normally busy roads in daytime, so it's not like I live near a forest or anything. The sound was directly outside my bedroom window. I have some wood pidgeons & some magpies nesting in my tree's but I am familiar with all the sounds they make & this was nothing like anything they make.

I went on google the next day to try & find something to explain it but all I could come up with that resembled anything like it was the "Cry of the Banshee".

I have not heard the noise since.

Any one else got any suggestions or idea's

Hello. Don't know whether you're still interested in identifying the sound you heard, but your description struck a chord with me because I think I may have heard the same thing! It's interesting that you said you live in Lancashire - I was in Leigh, Lancashire when I heard it. I was out late one night (about 1 in the morning) walking my dogs. I first heard the sound in the distance. I stood still listening to it for a while because I couldn't decide whether it was a baby crying or a cat howling. The scary part was that as I stood listening, the sound got closer until it was directly above my head! I was understandably terrified and started walking quickly home, expecting any moment for some awful creature to leap out at me! The dogs too were scared, in fact my bull terrier stopped in his tracks at one point, looking down the street behind me and growling though I couldn't see a thing. Anyway, I got home safely in the end, but the memory of that night has never left me. 20 years on it's still the most blood curdling sound I've ever heard. And I swear I hadn't been drinking or taking drugs!!

I've always wondered what made the sound. I suppose it could (at a stretch) have been some kind of owl. Have a listen to the owl soundbites on the RSPB website - you may find one that explains the sound you heard but I'm still to be convinced. I keep an open mind on the supernatural explanations. I have some Irish ancestry from way back so you never know, it could have been a banshee after all!! :?

Initiate

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 11:01 pm » by Lynziswez

Lambchop ... Thanx for sharing your experience ..whether either of us will ever get to establish what was responsible ....hopefully not. I think you get me when I say I just know there was something very not right with it and that it wasn't an animal noise because you could feel it in your gut.. When I said it was outside my bedroom window I meant literally AT my bedroom window . And yes I too will always remember the sound but more so the fear that I felt at the time. The sound came with a very powerful energy...not one I would like to experience again.. Banshee????

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 pm » by Lambchop

I'm just glad that I've finally found somebody else who's had the same experience! You do start to doubt your own sanity when nobody gets what you're talking about. I can fully believe it was right outside your bedroom window - it was probably hovering there like it did over my head! It also seemed to be a sentient being, observing me and following me like no animal would. Banshee or not, I know exactly what you mean when you say you could feel in your gut that there was something very not right with it. I too was absolutely petrified! Even my dogs' hair was standing on end because they sensed it too. Maybe it is proof that there isn't always a rational explanation for things. But beyond that, I guess we'll probably never know. Take care and may you never hear its like again! x

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 1:45 am » by Emeraldtruth

Hello and thanks for sharing. Now that the initial scare has passed, your sense of curiosity has not I bet. In this regard I heard a story, about a year ago, that seems quite similar to your experience. I forget all the details but I will try to get them to recount it to me again in the next few days. I seem to recall her and the other experiencers actually saw something too. This might give you more insight potentially and so I will post back here if there are any interesting angles to share with you. It did occur in Ireland by the way. Bye for now.

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 11:54 am » by Lambchop

Thanks Emeraldtruth. You're right, my sense of curiosity is still as piqued as ever. My head tells me there must be a rational explanation for what I experienced while my heart tells me there was definitely something supernatural going on. I need as much information as possible if I'm ever to convince myself one way or the other! I'd love to know what your friends saw. I look forward to reading your post.

PostSun Oct 14, 2012 3:25 pm » by Kimib88

Hey I was just reading some of the posts about people hearing the cry of a banshee! i had the same experience a few year ago! I was sitting with two friends out the front of my house n i heard this weird wailing noise in the distance. it went on for a few seconds and stopped, then it started again but this time it got closer, i said to one of my friend what was the noise but they couldn't hear it. one stage it got that loud I jumped up in fear and went to go inside but they questioned me why but they couldn't hear the noise! after I jumped up it fear it started to fade between each wail!

I went online and went on to stockmusic.com and typed in banshee and i clicked on banshee wail and that was the noise i heard!

hope someone can go on and have a listen and see if that's the noise that they heard! It has no resemblance to a fox or a cat or an owl! Still now a few years later i have never heard anything like it! :nails:

Conspirator

PostSun Oct 14, 2012 6:04 pm » by Icarus1

its a myth, back in the olden days women to stand outside wakehouses to mourn the dead, they usually went to houses were people were deemed to be of a low social standing ie poor who would not have a big amount attending funerals, i think the literal translation means crying woman , the rest was fairy tales made up to keep children good and get them to bed early , its just the irish version of the boogie man ( in this case woman ).
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.

PreviousNext

Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook