Wanapum Damn is risk of failing

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm » by Shaggietrip

Not sure if posted, if so move or remove.

Some disturbing news for those in the area. Down stream is a Nuclear facility. If the damn breaks they are in hopes that the damns down stream could hold back any flow if Wanapum Dam does let go.

MATTAWA — Boaters were evacuated over the weekend near Wanapum Dam because of a 65-foot crack in the Wanapum Dam spillway.The district is also lowering water levels by about 20 feet and expects to reach this goal by Monday.

Source and more: http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/news/article_b4bb8ee6-a198-11e3-9b8d-0019bb2963f4.html

ENE News

Emergency plan activated after ‘massive’ crack found in dam near nuclear site — Official: ‘Serious problem’; Failure risk ‘sufficiently high’ — NOAA: “Potential for rapid increase in flows” — Gov’t: Flooding could release radioactive waste from Hanford

Oregon Public Radio: Worst-case scenario is if the spillway was to topple. But Stredwick thinks other sections of the dam would hold on and downstream communities should be safe.

NBC News, Mar. 1, 2014: [NOAA's] National Weather Service issued a flash flood watch for Grant County through the weekend as the water is drawn down because “the potential exists for a rapid increase in flows from Wanapum Dam.”

Source and more: http://enenews.com/emergency-response-plan-activated-after-massive-crack-found-in-major-dam-50-miles-from-hanford-nuclear-site-officials-theres-a-serious-problem-dam-failure-risk-sufficiently-hig

:peep:
ImageImage
Star watchers,Sun,Moon or just space in interest. https://www.darkskywatcher.com/dsw74.html

Super Moderator

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 7:04 pm » by The57ironman

..... If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.......

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 7:17 pm » by 99socks

I am so sick of nuclear reactors, I can't wait until we wake up and put them all out of commission. :hell:
I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

http://thethinkingapostate.ghost.io/

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 pm » by Mydogma

99socks wrote:I am so sick of nuclear reactors, I can't wait until we wake up and put them all out of commission. :hell:

that's the bottom line with me too, wind generators kill some birds, nuclear destroys the birds and the bees...for many lifetimes...to think that we are afraid of war and terrorists when north America is dotted with nuclear disasters waiting to happen...one earthquake, one tidal wave, one freak storm...or in the case of this dam...it could just be one hot sunny day...and everyones life changes immediately...how does the government put a price on that nuclear waste, when you factor in the death and destruction clause into the financial viability of nuclear power....we really cant afford the cost of nuclear, its not cheaper and cheaper isn't better...
If you don't wake up, Your the problem, not the thief...www.cattledum.com

Initiate

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 12:31 am » by OtheklzeR

So says the bunh of geeks using computers that rival small refridgerators in power
its all convienient to be "socialy responsible " but no one is running thier lap tops on
bicycle power here

I knew a grate man who was "the" senior electrician for the nuclear regulatory commission
when I was a young anti nuke activist in the 60's , he asked me a queston
where are you going to get the power from ? coal? geothermal?
then he responded to his own queston

He said" nuclear power is the only possibility to supply an exponential growth untill a viable
fusion power plant is available. nothing has changed about this equation.
solar is not scalable wind is undependable (i say this in mojave where i see the million dollar turbines
daily)

so now I ask you the same queston GORDON WARREN asked me
realisticy how can we power the world with water wheels and coal fired plants
wood pulp? trash fired generators , natural gas plants
and what would those primary sourced carbon fuels do to the biosphere

in truth as a anti "fission " nuclear power plant person myself I have no
answer , I have been bouyed by the articals in disclose about thorium reactors
and I "Feel" this may be a short term solution that works

the real need is to re -educate the population to think about this like
realist and not emotionalist

:hugging:

Initiate

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 12:37 am » by Tntbw

Mydogma wrote:
99socks wrote:I am so sick of nuclear reactors, I can't wait until we wake up and put them all out of commission. :hell:

that's the bottom line with me too, wind generators kill some birds, nuclear destroys the birds and the bees...for many lifetimes...to think that we are afraid of war and terrorists when north America is dotted with nuclear disasters waiting to happen...one earthquake, one tidal wave, one freak storm...or in the case of this dam...it could just be one hot sunny day...and everyones life changes immediately...how does the government put a price on that nuclear waste, when you factor in the death and destruction clause into the financial viability of nuclear power....we really cant afford the cost of nuclear, its not cheaper and cheaper isn't better...

We are of a like mind when it comes to the stupidity of nuclear power. I am more into solar power than wind though. The sun's energy needs to be harnessed for more of our power needs. Just think of all the dessert land currently being used for nothing that could be used to set up massive solar panels and thermal solar stations to store that energy. Similar to what you said, maybe some birds get killed, but never will solar power contaminate rivers/oceans, or cause wars over the supply. After the initial cost of construction, maintenance would be minimal. I mean seriously, just pay some janitors to clean the panels once a week and there you go.

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 am » by Mydogma

OtheklzeR wrote:So says the bunh of geeks using computers that rival small refridgerators in power
its all convienient to be "socialy responsible " but no one is running thier lap tops on
bicycle power here

I knew a grate man who was "the" senior electrician for the nuclear regulatory commission

He said" nuclear power is the only possibility to supply an exponential growth untill a viable
solar is not scalable wind is undependable (i say this in mojave where i see the million dollar turbines
daily)

bang on, but you nailed it I think with various cold fusion ideas that have been quashed by big energy and mostly by military because you cant make a weapon out of it...had northern America in the 1970s changed a new course we would mostly be living in net zero or near zero homes by now, we would all have had an electric/hybrid by now and we would be consuming much less right now....and need less...net zero homes are coming and near zero becoming cost effective...many of our gadgets and laptops can charge off of simple solar/wind and many of our phantom loads would have been dealt with...in net zero housing the energy gluttens are the dryer and stove...GE knows there have been great achievements in airsource heat-pump dryers and pre-heaters for stoves...but they don't go there because they don't have too...they are to busy billing us for 3 buck mercury laden cfls....if the will was there we would already be 90 percent uncuffed from the cartel...but that's not what they want...
If you don't wake up, Your the problem, not the thief...www.cattledum.com

Conspirator

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 3:39 am » by 99socks

OtheklzeR wrote:So says the bunh of geeks using computers that rival small refridgerators in power
bicycle power here

daily)

The problem is in HOW we use energy. You don't need to have your hot water heater or refrigerator on all night long-but we do. The classical Arabs had natural cooling in their homes via air ducts in the walls that pulled air through, convection-style, not too much unlike how native Americans used their teepees, and how yurts stay cool. Rocket mass stoves really take relatively little energy; hot water can be created by running a hose through a compost pile, or via a black container in the yard or on the roof. If everyone stays with the same shitty wasteful technology, homes, transportation, etc. then yeah- we have a problem. But 80% or more of most people's energy use come from heating/cooling homes and office buildings and water heaters. The problem isn't with enough energy- the problem is with our ridiculous building paradigm where most buildings need to be hooked up to all kinds of "life support" in order to function- air flow pumps, plumbing, electricity, etc. On the other hand if you throw up a straw bale house with a rocket mass stove, design it with natural light in mind, then you can stay cool all summer and warm all winter just on the dead wood you can find in your yard or neighborhood. It's not about going back to a primitive lifestyle, it's about acknowledging that home design in the last few hundred years DOESN'T WORK! There are alternatives out there, we just need a critical mass of people who are interested in it. As buildings and houses get old and fall apart in some of our major cities (just think of all those cheap bungaloes all over that were built in the 30's and 40's), we need to start replacing them with something better. The final solution is not going to be with massive industrial wind farms and thousands of acres of solar panels in the desert, the final solution will come when individual households and businesses are equipped with the ability to take responsibility for their own energy production- whether it's solar, geothermal, wind-related, free energy, or whatever.
I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

http://thethinkingapostate.ghost.io/

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 2:22 am » by Shaggietrip

Thanks to all contributing. :flop:

here is a radio interview. I will try to post more when I find it. Keep up the comments and posts.

Steve Scher talks with Northwest News Network reporter Anna King about what lies ahead for the Wanapum Dam on the Columbia River. On Friday, inspectors discovered a 65-foot underwater crack in the dam.

Look above the quote posted above at link to listen to interview.

Source and interview: http://kuow.org/post/whats-next-columbia-rivers-cracked-wanapum-dam

The link below has some local News reporting on the situation. No body knows if it could breech or fail. :headscratch:

http://www.webpronews.com/wanapum-dam-huge-crack-causes-concern-2014-03

:cheers:
ImageImage
Star watchers,Sun,Moon or just space in interest. https://www.darkskywatcher.com/dsw74.html

Super Moderator

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 3:08 am » by The57ironman

..... If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.......