WASH YOUR HANDS like a Doctor - C-Diff. "Superbug"

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 am » by Seahawk

Eliminate, or at least significantly lower the possiblity of infection from almost all of the various bacteria and viruses that we fear, by washing our hands well, and often. By doing so, we gain one more substancial defense in our favor, in our daily lives.

C-Diff is a very real and current threat, and easily spread. We interact with hospital venors, visitors, personnel, patients, recent patients, and others who cross their paths on a regular basis. We interact professionally, and socially all the time.

USA Today article excerpt:

Each year in the USA, more than 28,000 people die of C. diff, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The breakdown is:

• Hospital-acquired, hospital-onset cases: 165,000 patients, $1.3 billion in excess costs, and 9,000 deaths

• Hospital-acquired, post-discharge (up to 4 weeks), 50,000 patients, $0.3 billion in excess costs, and 3,000 deaths.

• Nursing home-onset cases, 263,000 patients, $2.2 billion in excess costs, and 16,500 deaths.

Reduce your Risk

Wash your hands!

Wash your hands!

"WASH YOUR HANDS like a Doctor." - Dr. Travis Stork

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-03-20-c-diff-bacteria_N.htm

I know that this is not totally news, but the threat does continue to grow.

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Initiate

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 am » by Shagrath

C-Diff is bad-ass shit! You don't want to mess with it at all! I hate hospitals for that very reason!

Master Conspirator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 am » by Cornbread714

I have mixed feelings on this. I believe it's quite possible that trying to avoid germs leads to lower overall resistance, and there is quite a bit of evidence in favor of this theory.

Overuse of anti-bacterial agents, for instance, may actually increase our susceptibility to infection and disease in the long run, but obviously there has to be a balance. Bad hygiene can certainly lead to health problems, too, so it's hard to determine the middle ground. I guess hand washing without anti-bacterial soap might be a good approach. Just my opinion, though...

Good to see you around, Hawk!
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 1:45 am » by Seahawk

cornbread714 wrote:I have mixed feelings on this. I believe it's quite possible that trying to avoid germs leads to lower overall resistance, and there is quite a bit of evidence in favor of this theory.

Overuse of anti-bacterial agents, for instance, may actually increase our susceptibility to infection and disease in the long run, but obviously there has to be a balance. Bad hygiene can certainly lead to health problems, too, so it's hard to determine the middle ground. I guess hand washing without anti-bacterial soap might be a good approach. Just my opinion, though...

Good to see you around, Hawk!

Yeah. I don't think there's anything wrong with good old soap and water- along with anti-bacterial every-once in a whle. I should check to see what kind of routine and products hospital health-care workers use. I'm sure that they must keep abreast of the most current practices, at least generally speaking. Healthcare standards are tough. I will get back to this on this, asap.

Good to see you too CB. :flop: Yeah, I still hang out here. I just keep my mouth shut more often. lol :cheers:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 am » by Shagrath

cornbread714 wrote:I have mixed feelings on this. I believe it's quite possible that trying to avoid germs leads to lower overall resistance, and there is quite a bit of evidence in favor of this theory.

I completely agree! It's a fact that a biological entity needs to live in the environment it is meant for or it's immune system will be compromised. I myself, shower every other day and use a washcloth only once a week. I never smell bad, even if I go days without showering and I have excellent teeth even though I don't always brush everyday. Never any bad breath either.

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 2:31 am » by Santaownsyou

My girlfriend works as a senior tech in a microbiology lab and her concern is the multidrug resistant gram negative rods. It's a growing problem and they have no drugs to treat them. With the more well known bugs there drugs in the works, but nothing for them.

Edit:Seahawk100 is that a reference to Seattle? I lived there for about 5 years, damn if I don't miss Ballard.
If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and quacks like a duck it is probably just a tool of the conspiracy.

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 3:53 am » by Seahawk

My dad lived in Washington, Vancouver. He was a fan. I was a fan of his. lol I also like the real birds themselves, Cool birds. Osprey. And I love the sea- spec. the Pacific. sort of a mixed bag of reasoning. lol None of it totally logical, but I like it.

:cheers:

I have had the urge lately, though , to visit the Atlantic- Florida keys maybe. Go snorkling in the reef,.ride around on a scooter, lay on the beach. ahhhhhh. love it. You get the picture.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 4:16 am » by Santaownsyou

Florida key's sound awsome, the pacific was tool cold for my blood. I'm kinda partial to mid atlantic beaches.
If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and quacks like a duck it is probably just a tool of the conspiracy.

Super Moderator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 4:48 am » by Seahawk

Yeah, I can see that. Fort Lauderdale area ain't too shabby. :love: lol

Yeah. Pacific can get chilly, but in high summer, it's Frickin' AWESOME!

Oh, Doh!, I forgot an integral part of my answer in the last post- Hawk is part of my last name.

Oh, ummmmm. Wash your hands when in Fort Lauderdale, too. <<<On topic. :D

Upload to Disclose.tv

Master Conspirator

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 5:20 am » by Boondox681

thanx for the heads up.
no matter what we think about this shit,you can never go wrong with a good hand wash.
thanx
"You wanna' keep it real take a walk out your door,that's as real as it gets from the sky to the floor."