Watch the Live Feed Now . BP using Saw .

jetxvii

PostMon May 31, 2010 10:26 pm » by jetxvii

mushroom wrote:Why don't they cork it like a bottle of grolsch?

They could weld a collar further down the pipe to attach the pivot points to ( or alternative hydrolic system ) and then simply pull the cork into place. This will eliminate the pressure problem... Just a thought.

isn't that what the last operation they tried to do was?

but either way I think I saw a better Idea and that was to take off a section or sections of pipe and then add replacement valves, or redirection pipes.....

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 10:34 pm » by Mushroom

jetxvii wrote:

They could weld a collar further down the pipe to attach the pivot points to ( or alternative hydrolic system ) and then simply pull the cork into place. This will eliminate the pressure problem... Just a thought.

but either way I think I saw a better Idea and that was to take off a section or sections of pipe and then add replacement valves, or redirection pipes.....

Have they already tried this? operation topkill?

jetxvii

PostMon May 31, 2010 10:40 pm » by jetxvii

mushroom wrote:
jetxvii wrote:

Have they already tried this? operation topkill?

no top kill was this very last one, sorry my bad term. and that was pumping mud into the pipes then teying to cement it shut.

this one was before that and called operation top hat:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37105656/ns ... _oil_spill

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 10:55 pm » by Mushroom

jetxvii wrote:no top kill was this very last one, sorry my bad term. and that was pumping mud into the pipes then teying to cement it shut.

this one was before that and called operation top hat:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37105656/ns ... _oil_spill

Thanks Jet.. I was trying to highlight the problems with this particualr attempt to stop the leak.
A quote from the link you provided
Natural gas hydrates, which are ice crystals formed from water and natural gas under high pressure, defeated BP's first attempt to contain the flow of oil over the weekend. The hydrates filled the top of a 98-ton containment dome, nearly making it buoyant, Suttles said.

My approach differs in the respect that we would have an 'anchor point' and the containment dome (or cork) wouldn't float away. :cheers:

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 12:38 am » by Bitzer

Live feed is off, they're playing a video - must be knocking off time!!!!

Previous