Welfare Drug Testing Takes Effect In Tennessee

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 6:19 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

WASHINGTON -- Poor people in Tennessee better get ready to forfeit bodily fluids if they want welfare benefits.

A new law taking effect this week allows the state Department of Human Services to screen applicants to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, known in Tennessee as Families First. The testing regime is not as harsh as the one in Florida famously deemed unconstitutional by federal courts in 2011.

If Families First applicants answer "yes" on a three-question form about potential drug use, they'll be referred for urine testing. If the results are positive, according to the state's implementation plan, the applicants will only be cut off if they fail another test after six months of treatment.

Florida, by contrast, simply made every single applicant pee in cups at the outset, made applicants pay for their own tests and canceled their benefits if they failed. Courts halted the program, saying Republican Gov. Rick Scott's blanket testing violated applicants' constitutional right to privacy. Tennessee and the six other states that have passed welfare drug testing laws since 2011 have tried not to repeat Florida's mistakes.

Still, the Tennessee chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union is not happy about the new requirements at all.

"This law singles out limited-income people and requires them to submit to humiliating and intrusive searches of their bodily fluids because they need temporary help making ends meet," Hedy Weinberg, director of the ACLU's Tennessee chapter, said Tuesday.

Weinberg noted that research shows TANF recipients use drugs at a rate no higher than the general population. In Florida, just 2 percent of welfare applicants gave the state dirty urine before the Florida ACLU successfully halted the program with a lawsuit.

Mississippi was also supposed to start drug-screening welfare applicants this week, but civil liberties advocates there persuaded the state to delay implementation. Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) is also delaying a welfare drug test law that had been scheduled to start this week. Deal is apparently waiting for the legal challenges to Florida's law to be completely resolved.

Even as the war on drugs has lost public and political support, interest in making the poor pass drug tests has surged. Since 2011, dozens of states have considered implementing new drug testing laws, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, and congressional Republicans have pushed new proposals at the national level as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/0 ... 48720.html
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 6:29 pm » by Icarus1

jesus christ whats next , bar codes on there arms ?

Master Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 pm » by *WillEase*

The writing is on the wall that requiring people to submit to drug testing for no reason other than being poor and in need of assistance is not going to pass constitutional muster. It’s not fair, it’s not cost effective, and it’s unreasonable.
They tried that shit here in Florida a couple years back. State data showed that the measure produced few results. Only 108 out of 4,086 people tested — 2.6 percent — were found to have been using narcotics. State records showed that the requirement cost more money to carry out than it saved.
The law was eventually struck down because it violated the protection against unreasonable searches.
The site owner Lukas said I could show you how to makes hundreds of dollars in your spare time like I do.
If you would like to get yours too, PM me and I WILL hook you up.

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 6:58 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

You can buy a clean piss sample on the streets for as little as $5...you can even shop for piss online..

i.e. http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/Faki ... 16191.html

unless they are considering DNA testing it also....

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 8:32 pm » by Thebluecanary

It's a stupid waste of money. I think that Florida's caught like ten people before it was tanked. Because you can buy clean pee, and you'd have to be pretty dumb in any case to fail a drug test especially if your benefits depend on it.

That said, I've had to piss my precious bodily fluids into a cup for most every job I've had since the age of 16. How is it that that is perfectly right and constitutional and not at all a civil rights issue that the ACLU and NAACP want to get up in the middle of…but once you're talking about someone's welfare check it's a horrible violation that should never happen?

Damn gas station down the street has a sign up right now that says they're hiring for part time, minimum wage, drug testing required. If you have to pee in a cup to work at Sheetz, why is it so wrong for you to have to pee in a cup to get free money for not having a job?
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Writer

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 8:48 pm » by Bravo69

Canary -- I agree -- I worked for a city for the last 20 years of my working life and had to succumb to
piss tests; occasional blood tests, too.... but gee -- believe it or not, I don't think management had to go thru that... hmmmmm

Conspirator
Location: Questioning Building 7,.......... Stop HAARP ..........Stop HydroFracking

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 9:30 pm » by Hurtswhenipee

I think that this is complete Bullshit. :bullshit: Now I don't agree that people should be told where and how to spend the money. If the money goes to the drug dealer it still goes into circulation. If they starve to death that's the end of the problem right.
If you cut someone or a family off due to drug use, what do you think will happen? He or she will commit crime now to get food and things. If you need laundry soap and you don't have money to buy it, guess what you'll steal it. Send you kids out to steal food and sundries. Then what happens you or your kids will get caught and eventually go to jail. Oh you think jail is free guess again. So now the people who were making let's say $2200 a month for let's say a woman and two kids. Now you are paying $2900.00 to
over $5000.00 in New York for one if more than one of the three get caught, well do the math.
http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/insi ... urces-wise
If mom goes to jail what will happen to the kids? Child Haven well that's not free. $19,000.00 per year per child or $1583 per month per child.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... idxml.html

http://watchdog.org/102192/good-work-if ... its-in-mo/ Average in Missouri.

For that matter how about Congress be made to take lie detector tests every payday. Then the real crime would be exposed. No let's make a poor existence even worse for this people. Here is a picture of Detroit now. It stands to reason why you would want to get bombed out of you mind.

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 9:46 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Hurtswhenipee wrote:I think that this is complete Bullshit. :bullshit: Now I don't agree that people should be told where and how to spend the money. If the money goes to the drug dealer it still goes into circulation. If they starve to death that's the end of the problem right.
If you cut someone or a family off due to drug use, what do you think will happen? He or she will commit crime now to get food and things. If you need laundry soap and you don't have money to buy it, guess what you'll steal it. Send you kids out to steal food and sundries. Then what happens you or your kids will get caught and eventually go to jail. Oh you think jail is free guess again. So now the people who were making let's say $2200 a month for let's say a woman and two kids. Now you are paying $2900.00 to
over $5000.00 in New York for one if more than one of the three get caught, well do the math.
http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/insi ... urces-wise
If mom goes to jail what will happen to the kids? Child Haven well that's not free. $19,000.00 per year per child or $1583 per month per child.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... idxml.html

http://watchdog.org/102192/good-work-if ... its-in-mo/ Average in Missouri.

For that matter how about Congress be made to take lie detector tests every payday. Then the real crime would be exposed. No let's make a poor existence even worse for this people. Here is a picture of Detroit now. It stands to reason why you would want to get bombed out of you mind.

:pray:

:clapper:

:cheers:

Absolutely...

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 pm » by Kinninigan

:ohno:

I dont know about the rest of the country, but here in Philly some people sell their food stamps to buy drugs.

This is gonna cause riots!

:peep:
Canubis wrote:AT DTV we aim for shit pending disclosure RUN it threw the best before you give it to the dogs...

say somthing about my avatar i dare u.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan
http://www.disclose.tv/user/kinninigan/

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 10:48 pm » by Thebluecanary

But if the policy in Tennessee is that if someone pisses hot for benefits, they get put into treatment and tested again six months later and THEN if they piss hot again they might lose their welfare, that's actually a better deal in a couple of different ways. Employers who piss test don't offer such leniency. If you're applying for a job and you fail the drug test, you don't get hired. You don't get treatment and then a do-over that might mean you still get the job. Same with jobs like my husband's which require random testing because they're operating city owned vehicles and heavy equipment. If you fail your drug test, you get fired. You don't get work funded rehab.

It might actually help people (in the event that they don't just get their kid/Aunt Josie/some random person off craigslist to pee in the cup for them) assuming that the treatment is paid for by the state or the person is helped to find resources for substance abuse by the state agency that is administering the tests. There aren't a lot of options for poor people with drug problems, so something that makes them get treatment isn't that bad a thing.

The last drug test I had to take for a job, a nurse actually watched me pee in the cup. Which meant that if I'd have been storing someone else's pee to use for the test, I wouldn't have been able to use it. Do you suppose they watch the welfare applicants pee too? In theory, disqualifying someone from welfare because they fail a drug test would hurt their children…because if mom is spending all the money on crack the kids are hungry. But, then, if mom is so far gone that she can't abstain for a month or so to get a clean test result, she's probably in the parking lot of the grocery store trading her food stamps for cash anyway and the kids are still going to be hungry. Maybe they'd be better off in the system, much as the system sucks. Most kids that are there are there because the state judged that they were better off in foster care than living with a parent whose substance abuse problems kept them from taking good care of the kids. Someone who has a daily crack or heroin habit isn't exactly putting the welfare of their children up high on the list of things to worry about.

Can't help but notice that my original question remains unanswered.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Next