What are you / Did you have for dinner???

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm » by Slith

Spock wrote:
Slith wrote:
Spock wrote:Shrimp and Garlic Parmesan Cheese Grits. Salad.

Shrimp stir fry last night with basmati.

Never had grits, the word.......scares me. I've had polenta, which has similar qualitities. Non?

You're a chef and never had grits? WTF!

Go get some white stone ground grits today!

2 parts water to 1 part grits (2 cups of water for 1 cup of grits)

Bring water to rolling boil, pour in grits and lower heat, stir frequently, and a dash of salt and butter, simmer until they thicken.

Then add salt, pepper and butter. Just to taste what they are like dressed down. But, After that add sharp cheddar cheese, garlic and a Splash of Texas Pete. :love:

No, never have. Will need to give it a go tho. Texas Pete? Hot sauce?

I'm in desperate need of a 6 month vacation... twice a year.

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 1:34 pm » by Spock

Once you try that, you'll understand how some garlic sauteed shrimp on top would be good.

Also good to mix eggs and sausage in as a casserole. After the grits are cooked, mix it all together, put in baking dish, top with cheese and plop it in the over to warm.

This morning I'll be dining on instant oatmeal, microwaved with almond milk, sweetened with Truvia and garnished with raisins and hand-crushed walnuts.

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 1:38 pm » by Slith

Cripes, I'm still trying to get over the heart attack I shoulda had with biscuits and gravy. Now this? Good Lawd.

You're making me hungry

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 2:04 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Slith wrote:
Fatdogmendoza wrote:Brown stew chicken with rice 'N' peas and a Bajan side salad...

Caribbean side salad? Ingredients? Also interested in your stew. Care to share?

FYI, I'm a food whore.....and a sponge for culinary knowledge. :mrgreen:

I'll sort the recipes out for you mon ami...I dont talk about it much or get too involved with the foody chats, but I am also a food whore. cooking is the greatest love of my life next to the wife and kids, lol, I just never trained as a chef though...I unusually use black beans for the rice n peas...I aint no purist, I prefer to experiment and refine...

Initiate

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 4:49 pm » by fatbastard2.0

Personally I prefer a liquid diet. Bucks fizz for breakfast, a few cans of lager for brunch, two bottles of Moët Chandon for lunch, 2 bottles of Bollinger at three, two bottles of Mumms for dinner and quite a few Brandys and Babycham for supper. I tried food once but I was sick. Merry Xmas.
I am not now, nor have I ever been an oil trader, and neither has anyone on my behalf. I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one, and neither has anyone on my behalf.

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 pm » by Slith

Fatdogmendoza wrote: I prefer to experiment and refine...

That would make you a chef sir, in the purest form :flop: :flop: :flop:

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 8:44 pm » by Fatdogmendoza

Slith wrote:
Fatdogmendoza wrote: I prefer to experiment and refine...

That would make you a chef sir, in the purest form :flop: :flop: :flop:

Thank you...

Heres your recipe slith

Brown stew chicken

1 small whole chicken,skinned and cut into portions
1 large tomato, chopped
3 -4 stalks scallions/ spring onions, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 hot pepper, chopped (scotch bonnet)
1 medium carrot, chopped finely
1 limes or 1/4 cup lime juice
3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon pimentos or 1 teaspoon allspice, cracked
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil/ veg oil

Squeeze lime over chicken and rub well. Drain off excess lime juice.

Combine tomato, scallion, onion, garlic, pepper, thyme, pimento and soy sauce in a large bowl with the chicken pieces. Cover and marinate at least one hour.

Heat oil in a dutch pot or large saucepan. Shake off the seasonings as you remove each piece of chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for sauce.

Lightly brown the chicken a few pieces at a time in very hot oil. Place browned chicken pieces on a plate to rest while you brown the remaining pieces.

Drain off excess oil and return the chicken to the pan. Pour the marinade over the chicken and add the carrots. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.

Mix flour and coconut milk and add to stew, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to minimum and cook another 20 minutes or until tender..

Rice n black beans

1 fresh coconut (or you could use coconut milk in a can)
850ml (1½ pint) warm water
1 hot red chilli (ideally Scotch bonnet), whole and undamaged
7 allspice berries
2 sprigs of thyme
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 spring onion, bruised with a rolling pin
½ onion, roughly chopped
400g can 30g black beans, drained
Salt and pepper
450g (1lb) basmati rice

First you need to get into your coconut. Decide which of the three 'eyes' (you'll see them at one end) is the one you are most likely to be able to break into - only one will work!
Try to penetrate it with a strong, sharp-tipped knife. If that one doesn't work, try the others.
Pour the coconut water out through the hole and set aside.
Smash the coconut (doing this outside against a bit of concrete is a good idea).
Using a small, sharp knife, lever the coconut flesh away from the shell.
Grate the coconut into a bowl. Pour 650ml (1 pint 2fl oz) water over and stir. Lift the coconut flesh up in fistfuls and squeeze out all the juice into the water. Put the squeezed clumps of grated coconut into a sieve, transfer the coconut water to a saucepan, tip the squeezed coconut back into the bowl and cover with the remaining water. Again lift the coconut flesh up in fistfuls and squeeze out all the juice into the water. Transfer the coconut water to the saucepan. Discard the squeezed-out flesh. Add the coconut water from the coconut to the saucepan at this stage, if you like.
Add all the remaining ingredients, except the basmati, to the saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover, then turn down and simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash the rice, in cold running water until the water is almost clear. Drain, then add to the coconut base. You may need to add some water to bring the level to about 2½cm (1in) above the level of the rice. Season again. Bring to the boil, then cover the rice immediately. Turn the heat down to its lowest level and cook for 15-20 minutes - don't stir it, and don't peek inside!
Fish out the spring onion, thyme and chilli, give it a fork to stir it up, and serve immediately.

Bajan salad

2 cucumbers
2 medium size tomatoes
white sharp cheddar cheese
3 garlic cloves
salt
black pepper

Peel the cucumbers, leaving some of the skin on, and cut into cubes. Cut the tomates into cubes.
Grate the garlic on the smallest side of the grater. Cut up the cheese in to little squares.

Put vegetables in a mixing bowl, add the garlic, cheese, salt and black pepper. Mix everything together.
only Add the salt when this salad is being served..

:flop:

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 pm » by domdabears

Mmmmm some stew or any kind of soup sounds good.

I feel like shit.

My girlfriend is working late tonight, so I'll probably just make a frozen pizza or an on-cor dinner (chicken Parmesan)
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 1:31 am » by Fatdogmendoza

domdabears wrote:Mmmmm some stew or any kind of soup sounds good.

I feel like shit.

My girlfriend is working late tonight, so I'll probably just make a frozen pizza or an on-cor dinner (chicken Parmesan)

So what did you have, I forced myself to have Grilled Sirloin Steak, marinated in olive oil
garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey and black pepper. with steamed jersey royal potatoes and Pan-roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic..

Super Moderator

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 1:35 am » by Slith

Fatdogmendoza wrote:
domdabears wrote:Mmmmm some stew or any kind of soup sounds good.

I feel like shit.

So what did you have, I forced myself to have Grilled Sirloin Steak, marinated in olive oil
garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey and black pepper. with steamed jersey royal potatoes and Pan-roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic..

Forced yourself? Please!

I had canned soup and crackers. Dental surgery will do that. Faaaaaaaaack! :yell:

PreviousNext