What is With the Big Black Cats?

Master Conspirator

PostTue May 05, 2009 1:36 pm » by Cornbread714

It's funny, yesterday someone here mentioned Mikhail Bulgakov's novel, The Master and Margarita , in which a character named Behemoth (a large black cat) plays a major role:

Behemoth:
An enormous (said to be as large as a hog) black cat, capable of standing on two legs and talking. He has a penchant for chess, vodka and pistols.

Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Initiate

PostTue May 05, 2009 2:20 pm » by Crazynutsx

i actually sore a massive black cat wile i was in primary school, i saw it run across the field i remember telling people but they dint believe me

might have been a pantha or something :ohno:

Writer

PostTue Jun 30, 2009 4:09 am » by Spooksta

Greetings

Interesting topic as I've heard of this in 2 places in the worlds before googling it -

Samoa - I heard a story of these black cats there but they were not seen as panther/leopard cats etc but more as a demonic encounter/experience or warning etc etc to the individual but she had told me of this,

In New Zealand we have heard of these sightings also mainly in the our South Island
here's a link about that topic:http://www.mysteriousnewzealand.co.nz/mysteries_strangeness/animals/bigcats/bigcats_sample.html

gbye

Conspirator

PostTue Jun 30, 2009 9:24 am » by Drextin

My Uncle used to live down in Bayou La Batre and there is a black panther there as well. They have photos of it.

For those of you who are familiar with Forrest Gump...........Bayou La Batre is where Bubba was from..........they used a nice place in South Carolina for the location because the real Bayou La Batre is a dirty place no one wants to see. Imagine all the people who have traveled from all over to see it only to realize what a nasty stinky place it is. It's less than an hour's drive from where I live.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Conspirator

PostWed Jul 01, 2009 12:54 pm » by Clawspiracy

Maybe it's a form of evolution. we encroached so much on the mountain lions that they can no longer hunt in the daylight, so they've started to have some black kittens.... Better suited to hunt in the dark... ?

Or maybe they are Grey aliens masquerading as panthers. Or demonic smurfs. I dunno, something like that. shit.. It's 4 in the morning... I'm off to bed...
It's a Clawspiracy...

Conspirator

PostWed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm » by Darrylmckay

We have the same stories here in australia. The Blue Mountains west of sydney have had stories and sightings of large black cats for the last 40 or 50 years. There is a theory that during ww2 there was an american air force base at richmond, near the blue mountains who had a few panthers as mascots and at wars end they simply let them go, they have since breed and there is a populations living there now.(bloody irresponsible americans).

However, when i was growing up in Central Otago on the south Island of New zealand my father worked for the first company that started to exploit the feral deer population in that part of the world, they would shoot the deer from helicopters and then collect the carcass to sell as venison, he used to tell me stories of the feral cats they used to see on thier hunting trips. these were cats just a few generations removed from thier domestic lives but thier wild lifestyles had enabled them to grow to very large sizes, they were described as being the size of large dog, a labrador or something similar.
These sightings could well be a result of domestic cats gone feral, although I hear the southern american version is more likely to be panthers migrating from south america.

As a side note the stories my father told me of huge feral cats did put a new light on the standard practices for the removal of unwanted kittens in that part of the world at that time, the old, cats in a sack, brick in a sack and sack in the lake trick, I remember in spring time it was a very dicey proposition to go swiming in the lake at time due the wrigling sacks all over the place.
The trick also worked for unwanted dogs, a friend of my dads once decided that his old dog had to go so he thought a car battery tied to its leg and the battery droped from the bridge into the river would do the trick, only he made the rope a bit to long, the sight of that poor dog struggling to keep his head above water with a battery tied to his leg greeted the school bus the next morning. To be fair he was proberbly drunk at the time.
I will respect your beliefs*, I will research your beliefs, but dont expect me to believe.
* disclaimer-user makes no commitment to live up to this claim

Conspirator

PostFri Jul 03, 2009 8:24 am » by Daemonfoe

clawspiracy wrote:Maybe it's a form of evolution. we encroached so much on the mountain lions that they can no longer hunt in the daylight, so they've started to have some black kittens.... Better suited to hunt in the dark... ?

arg... please don't talk about evolution as if it can produce major changes in any period of time less than 10000 years... and I'm sure that's even too short.

also don't talk about evolution as if it happens because of what an animal needs as opposed to which slight mutations end up giving the offspring a tiny advantage to be able to survive the environment better and live long enough to breed and carry on the mutation.

i don't understand what is so hard to grasp about evolution. everyone seems to think it's some magical thing that makes certain things happen to your offspring. For example, my brother use to think that black people have dark skin because they got burnt from being in the sun all the time... as if people with suntans have children with perma-tans.

sorry, i get a little crazy when people misuse/misunderstand that word.
:P
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Writer

PostSat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 pm » by Mystery207

Finally someone who can read! You know my mother used to point out tall women to me! I always make the assumption that I'm surrounded by Tall cats myself! If that's any consolation! You women could then go get yourselves a prize! Maybe a pair of shoes!

Writer

PostSat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 pm » by Mystery207

mystery207 wrote:Finally someone who can read! You know my mother used to point out tall women to me! I always make the assumption that I'm surrounded by Tall cats myself! If that's any consolation! You women could then go get yourselves a prize! Maybe a pair of shoes!
Damn it . I'm using the wrong account! This is my nice personality.

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 pm » by Thebluecanary

My father saw a black panther once. He'd been up all night cooking barbecue for the Fire Department fundraiser with his best friend Moose, and Moose had just left to go home and catch a few hours sleep before they had to take the food to the firehouse to start selling it. This was just about the time that cell phones were starting to be affordable for normal people, and he called my dad from the road claiming he'd seen a large black cat in the field below our house. My dad called him crazy but he eventually convinced him to come down and see. Sure enough, it was stalking along the edge of the woods on the far side of the field. My dad said it looked like a mountain lion, only black. They got pretty close to it before it ran off into the woods.

People see those melanistic cougars in NC quite often. I've gone out looking for them myself, but never seen one. I did see a regular mountain lion once while camping in the mountains, even though Fish and Wildlife claims we don't have those here either. I even talked to a couple of Fish and Wildlife agents, back when I was researching Eastern and black cougars pretty seriously, who told me they themselves had seen them, that North Carolina has many cougars both the regular and melanistic variety all over, and that the State would never acknowledge this because then they'd have to spend time and money "managing" them. Of course, neither of them would go on record. I also found, back then when I was researching, references to melanistic mutation in mountain lions. Most literature on the subject tells us that a mountain lion cannot produce a black mutation, that there has never been a case. I found that there have been 4, all in zoos, all resulting from the accidental mating of a father and a daughter.

Anyway...yeah, they're out there. A retired biologist did a huge study just of Bladen and surrounding counties in this state, and he found hundreds of reports.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Next