What the Mayans Have to Say

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 5:44 am » by Frutty

yes you are right the Aztecs were the Mayans after the story of the Phoenix.

But in my mind, the Mayan simply were given another name, Aztecs after that event (the phoenix and the eagle and that story ...)

Of course I might be wrong
ImageImageImageImage
Deception in life is nothing but a lie reduced to practice

Master Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 am » by Cornbread714

frutty wrote:yes you are right the Aztecs were the Mayans after the story of the Phoenix.

But in my mind, the Mayan simply were given another name, Aztecs after that event (the phoenix and the eagle and that story ...)

Of course I might be wrong

They were two distinct cultures, with different languages, which existed side by side, though the Mayans had earlier origins.

http://timerime.com/en/timeline/99047/A ... +Timeline/
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 5:51 am » by Frutty

Not from what I have read corn, but I am most than willing to accept your reference as the revealed truth. :flop:
ImageImageImageImage

Master Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 am » by Cornbread714

Frutty, with all due respect, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 5:54 am » by Frutty

With all due respect you are my favorite sheeple at DTV :flop:
ImageImageImageImage

Master Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 6:08 am » by Cornbread714

Well, go piss off into one of your fantasy threads, ok?

I'd like to have a serious discussion here. I actually have read something about the subject, have traveled extensively in Mexico and even met the daughter of one of the scholars who worked on the codices.

Believe it or not, I met her and her husband on a train to Mexico City about 20 years ago and I happened to be reading and carrying a book about the translation. We got into a conversation about the subject, she talked about her father, and sure enough he was one of the sources listed in the bibliography.

Anyway, you seem to have a very spotty memory about what you may or may not have read and everything you have said on the subject so far is just dead wrong, by anyone's standards who knows even the most basic history.

What I know is based on the account of the Spaniards, the accounts of the Mayan and Aztec writings and what almost everyone accepts to be fact. If you have something to bring to the table other than brainless speculation about what you think you might remember about what you may have read, let's hear it.

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 am » by Noentry

I have not had a chance to watch your docu.
But I had a quick look.
As it is made by the Mayans themselves it is penciled in for tomo( or later today :sleep: ).
There is nothing better then to hear it from the horses mouth.
From what I understand the hierarchy was blood stained, but the Mayan people were peace full and lived in cohesion with the land.
But I am no expert and you sound like you know enough to correct me if I am wrong.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Master Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 am » by Cornbread714

noentry wrote:I have not had a chance to watch your docu.
But I had a quick look.
As it is made by the Mayans themselves it is penciled in for tomo( or later today :sleep: ).
From what I understand the hierarchy was blood stained, but the Mayan people were peace full and lived in cohesion with the land.
But I am no expert and you sound like you know enough to correct me if I am wrong.

Not an expert at all, there's a lot I don't know and there's a lot no one really knows.

I like the idea that maybe they got sick of their cities and went back to the land. But wow, those amazing, mysterious structures - who the fuck knows - you spend centuries in the jungle doing mushrooms, anything can happen.

I saw a documentary once that showed how the Mayans (apparently before they built their great civilization) had perfected a farming technique where they grew corn and used the cornstalk as a beanpole. Beans and corn together form a complete protein chain - you can basically survive on beans and corn if you throw in a little protein every now and then (an iguana or a fish, or whatever).

It was on this efficient agricultural basis that their civilization was founded, it is theorized.

They figured out an easy way to feed themselves and they knew how to stockpile the stuff.

But it must have been some heavy tripping (or perhaps alien intervention, who knows) to make them such unbelievably accurate astronomers and to build all that crazy shit in the middle of the jungle.

And then walk away from it. Very strange.

And they left their cities not long before the Spaniards showed up. Also very strange.

Maybe that's the lesson - that we need to get the fuck out of our own cities before the new aliens show up. The Spaniards certainly must have seemed like alien creatures to the cultures living there.

The Aztec civilization was in full swing when the conquistadors showed up. And it's funny, you don't hear about any Aztec survivors these days, do you?

But there are still Mayans around.

Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 am » by Noentry

cornbread714 wrote:
noentry wrote:I have not had a chance to watch your docu.
But I had a quick look.

Not an expert at all, there's a lot I don't know and there's a lot no one really knows.

I like the idea that maybe they got sick of their cities and went back to the land. But wow, those amazing, mysterious structures - who the fuck knows - you spend centuries in the jungle doing mushrooms, anything can happen.

I saw a documentary once that showed how the Mayans (apparently before they built their great civilization) had perfected a farming technique where they grew corn and used the cornstalk as a beanpole. Beans and corn together form a complete protein chain - you can basically survive on beans and corn if you throw in a little protein every now and then (an iguana or a fish, or whatever).

It was on this efficient agricultural basis that their civilization was founded, it is theorized.

They figured out an easy way to feed themselves and they knew how to stockpile the stuff.

But it must have been some heavy tripping (or perhaps alien intervention, who knows) to make them such unbelievably accurate astronomers and to build all that crazy shit in the middle of the jungle.

And then walk away from it. Very strange.

And they left their cities not long before the Spaniards showed up. Also very strange.

Maybe that's the lesson - that we need to get the fuck out of our own cities before the new aliens show up. The Spaniards certainly must have seemed like alien creatures to the cultures living there.

The Aztec civilization was in full swing when the conquistadors showed up. And it's funny, you don't hear about any Aztec survivors these days, do you?

But there are still Mayans around.

I always found the fact that the Mayans left their cities to go back to the land perplexing.
If it was a health issue then I could understand why they left, but why all their city's?

They still have the most precise and sophisticated calendar aside from modern man.
Another thing about the Mayans that amazes me, is they never made just pyramids, they visually incorporated many different aspects and beliefs of their culture into their structures. More so then the Egyptians.
For me that put's them one up.

From what I know they were one of the first, if not the first civilization as a whole to industrialize farming.
Which makes them as organized and advanced as an ancient civilizations can be.

the wobble of the plant takes 72 years to move 1 degree yet they managed to map and predict it. it takes 26000 years to complete a full 360* and yet they knew how it worked to the second . Fucking amazing if you ask me especially when they were around for no more then a couple of thousand years before they perfected their calendar.
Some how they managed to catalog their observations and created a legacy yet to be properly explained by us.

I also read somewhere they had a prediction for the end of their civilization.
Something about when the red beards arrived it would be the end of their nation. :headscratch:

If there ever was a case for Alien intervention the Mayans are as good an example as any.

The Aztecs I think tried to go to war with the Spaniards and that is why they got wiped out.
The Mayans on the other hand knew they were coming(supposedly) and many of them hid from the Spaniards and that maybe why they are still here today.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Master Conspirator

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 am » by Cornbread714

noentry wrote:I also read somewhere they had a prediction for the end of their civilization.
Something about when the red beards arrived it would be the end of their nation. :headscratch:

There were a lot of those kinds of predictions among tribes throughout the Americas.

In Bolivia, there was a mountaintop (Potosi) that was basically pure silver. The locals had mined the silver in relatively small amounts for ages, making masks and other items.

Legend has it that about 50 years before the Spaniards showed up, a "voice" came out of the mountain telling the people that they should no longer mine the silver - it belonged to someone else.

When the Spaniards got there, they slowly leveled the mountain, which produced an enormous amount of silver - enough to create a currency that created Europe's economy (but that's a whole other story...).

It's also estimated that hundreds of thousands of slaves (mostly Africans) died in the mines there before all the silver was taken.

EDIT - I looked up the facts and I was partly wrong in my recollections of what I had read. Apparently MILLIONS of Indians died in mining the mountain and the number of Africans was much lower.

PreviousNext