Where are all the female geniuses. ???

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm » by Toxic32

In a recently published book on scientific genius, Simonton (1988) discusses every imaginable demographic and personality factor that might be related to scientific brilliance, including such things as age, birth order and persistence, but sex or gender do not appear in his index. Is this because the gender issue is too hot to handle, or are we supposed to assume without inquiry that genius is a purely male phenomenon? Certainly, raising this question in public today is no way to make female friends, but it is surely intellectual cowardice to side-step it in a book specifically about the topic.

Few social learning theorists or feminists, if pressed, would deny the preponderance of male genius, but would proffer an explanation in terms of the limited educational opportunities for women throughout history and general discouragement to achieve outside the realm of motherhood and the home. This explanation seems to be unsatisfactory on a number of counts.

Variations in the social position of women do not seem to be accompanied by any change in the sex ration of geniuses. For example, despite the increased number of women in science laboratories in the last three or four decades, the outstanding discoveries are still mostly made by men.

Many male geniuses have to override considerable disadvantage in their educational or social background and considerable social or religious opposition before their contributions are recognized. Galileo, despite being old, feeble, and virtually blind, was imprisoned by the Vatican for his heretical support of the heliocentric theory. Michael Faraday was the son of an itinerant tinker, had practically no schooling and could not afford any books. Isaac Newton came from a family of small farmers, was a premature child so puny and weak that he was not expected to live and received a poor education at the local village school. Charles Dickens and Charlie Chaplin both came from backgrounds of working-class poverty that they capitalized upon in their art. Charles Darwin defied his religious training and risked social ostracism by advocating evolution theory. George Washington Carver emerged from a background of civil war and slavery in Missouri to become one of America's greatest biological scientists, despite constant hunger, poverty and ill health and having been denied education because of his colour. Social and educational advantages cannot be held accountable for the achievements of men such as these, so why should disadvantage be invoked to account for the absence of female achievement?

Social learning theory does not adequately explain why a proportion of women do occasionally achieve quite well in certain areas (e.g. literature and politics) but not in others (e.g. science and architecture). Music composition is an interesting case in point, since it is a male-dominated profession despite the fact that girls are given more than equal encouragement to learn music at school and there are many accomplished women performers. British composer Peter Maxwell Davies recalls asking to study music at high school in Manchester and was told very firmly by the headmaster, 'This is not a girls' school!' For hundreds of years European ladies have been expected to sing and play an instrument such as the piano as a social grace, and yet the great composers have without exception been men.
I question everything. I don't believe anything I'm told or anything I see. Prove it, or fuck off. And that's not me I see in the mirror in the morning.

Super Moderator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 pm » by Spock

Barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 6:51 pm » by Poooooot

WHERE ARE ALL THE FEMALE GENIUSES???

Duh! I'm right here!
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 6:53 pm » by 99socks

Poooooot wrote:

Duh! I'm right here!

:flop:
I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

http://thethinkingapostate.ghost.io/

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm » by Kinninigan

Poooooot wrote:

Duh! I'm right here!

thats a salad fork poooooot, you should use a dinner fork!

:alien51:
http://www.disclose.tv/media/list/user/Kinninigan
http://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 7:03 pm » by Thruster

Spock wrote:Barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.

I thought that said 'BIGFOOT' pregnant and in the kitchen.

:lol:

Initiate

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm » by Pateriot

For whatever reason, female geniuses are rare. However, Liberal females are very common ... I wonder if there could be a correlation.

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 7:15 pm » by Kinninigan

:look:

I think i found a female genius!

Hot chick on how to Decalcify Your Pineal Gland

Upload to Disclose.tv

:peep:
http://www.disclose.tv/media/list/user/Kinninigan
http://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 9:45 pm » by Dagnamski

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”

>>>>>Image

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm » by Blotto

they are running the world, they are just genius at hiding it.

Next

Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook