Which is the right religion for you?

Initiate

PostSun Apr 24, 2011 2:38 am » by Sentientseed

@sentientseed

Have you found that there are benefits to being a mason? If so, could you describe them?

I feel secrecy in large organizations is a distasteful practice, are any of the activities you've been asked to be a part of dependent on your willingness to keep secrets?

Again this would depend on what one means by benefits.

Something some might consider a benefit that I experienced is as follows..

I was talking to a brother mason in the lodge about needing work. He owned a machine shop although I did not know this at the time. In lodge gatherings... before the opening of the official lodge meeting...masons usually gather and chit chat in the refreshment area until the opening of the inner lodge meeting. So we chit chatted a few times and he asked me questions. Little did I know why and never thought about it as it was just chit chat. I found out later when he asked me to show up for work at his machine shop. It was basically an extended interview. But...this can occur to everyday folks who have friends or family or know someone who works somewhere. Not really a benefit given only to me for being a mason....just a benefit of being where I was at the time and him being in need of an employee. I probably was viewed as more trustworthy since I was in lodge with him and a mason. So if that is a benefit...it is not much different than a myriad of other situations.

Another brother mason paid my dues once when I couldn't.

I took my child to some local doctors a few years back and they all said nothing was wrong and to go home. I knew though that something was wrong. So I packed her up and went to the Childrens Hospital 3 hours away in Little Rock. This was before I was officially a mason. I sit in the waiting area forever. I got passed over many a time even though I was there first and had an appointment in which the time had came a passed. I was sitting there reading my Masonic Handbook when a doctor looking fellow passed by and stopped. He asked me..."Are you a Mason". I told him I was petitioning to be such. After chatting a bit...and finding out he was a mason....my daughter and I was called back rather rapidly after he got up from chatting with me. When I got to the back...he was my attending physician. He told me not to worry...he would get to the bottom of what was wrong with my daughter and take care of it immediately. Come to find out...she had pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. But...he was on the spot and got it taken care of rapidly. He said he would be seeing me soon.

Come to find out...he was one of the Grand Officers of Arkansas at the time.

I went to a nearby town once to look for a car to buy. I am poor and my credit is awful but we looked at some newer cars anyway. Mostly window shopping and wishing. I walked into the office and seen a Masonic Calender on the wall. I asked the salesman/owner if he was a Mason. He said no but his father was/is. Come to find out I attended lodge with his father.
Before telling him I was a mason and that I knew his father from lodge meetings...he was leary of even talking to me about a car. they told me my credit was bad and that his cars were too new and I should probably go to a lower end buy here pay here place. After talking about Masonry though....that all changed. They told me to come back the next day and pick up a practically new Pontiac G6. They were merely going off my trustworthiness as a Mason and nothing more.

But these things are not why I became a mason. The benefits are more inner than outer. I've learned all I know about masonry on my own for the most part. It works for me in that aspect.

As far as secrecy goes....I view it as most anything. It isn't the secrecy that is bad. It is like the statement people use about guns...when they say...guns don't kill people...people kill people. So it is how it is used that determines if it is good or bad.

Just one example of secrecy in a good way.

Some little old lady is freezing in the winter and can't pay her gas bill. So...the lodge might get word of it and pay her bill in secrecy without her knowing it. In this instance...she canbe thankful that someone cared enough to help her without feeling obligated to pay it back. :)
"There is more than just one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line. The less I seek my source for some definite...the closer I am to fine!"~Indigo girls

Conspirator

PostSun Apr 24, 2011 3:51 am » by Hackjames

spock wrote:Why do you feel secrecy in large organizations is a distasteful practice? Could you explain that? Is there no reason for corporate secrecy?
If you owned a business, would you make a practice of your inner workings being everyone's business? Honestly? And if yes, have you ever run a department, much less an entire company?

Exhaustively Explain, Please.

I find it distasteful because it encourages an "us versus them" mentality. There are plenty of reasons for corporate secrecy, I don't think any of them are well-conceived or moral.

I've not owned a business or run a department. I've freelanced for many years. Are you suggesting my views would change if that were the case?

There are many social tenants that I find distasteful. Corporate secrecy is one of them, but to give an exhaustive explanation would go into many other subjects that I doubt anyone wants to see me pontificate on. Sufficed to say that I think the social consciousness of large corporations and governing bodies are (for the most part) very primitive things, referencing basic principles which are no longer truly relevant.
This is your world. You're the creator.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Super Moderator

PostSun Apr 24, 2011 5:16 am » by Spock

Okay, so your possibly an artist. I freelanced myself for years. I also sat in planning meetings for almost 10 years with a committee of 8 people to drive a company of 500 people. There was never any discussion of how to fuck people over, but there were many procedural discussions that would fuck people over. In order to drive a company forward, it is impossible to do that with 500 ideas, the decisions come to the investors, management, and the reason is to maintain the company so that it can stay vital and continue to employee people. And, in the United States, we have the opportunity to decide if we accept a job.

Does the employer have obligations to the employee, I think so and have argued that point many times. But I think you would understand that there are reasons to keep corporate negotiations to the hip before procedures are implemented. And that is just one reason why secrecy is valid.

Conspirator

PostSun Apr 24, 2011 5:39 am » by Hackjames

spock wrote:Okay, so your possibly an artist. I freelanced myself for years. I also sat in planning meetings for almost 10 years with a committee of 8 people to drive a company of 500 people. There was never any discussion of how to fuck people over, but there were many procedural discussions that would fuck people over. In order to drive a company forward, it is impossible to do that with 500 ideas, the decisions come to the investors, management, and the reason is to maintain the company so that it can stay vital and continue to employee people. And, in the United States, we have the opportunity to decide if we accept a job.

Does the employer have obligations to the employee, I think so and have argued that point many times. But I think you would understand that there are reasons to keep corporate negotiations to the hip before procedures are implemented. And that is just one reason why secrecy is valid.

I work in graphics/media, yes. I suppose that fits a stereotype? I understand the situations you're describing, and how they lend an appearance of validity to the subject. My views do not allow me to sympathize with the many conditions in society that makes this the perception of so many people.

The point of society is that it benefits all members, that they will be better of with it than without it. Corporations, states and any other division of society that you can think of are not real, in the sense that the people who compose them are. Human needs are tangible things, while corporate needs are not, they are justifications for human wants and shortcomings.

When you create the perception of division (especially in an ostensibly capitalistic society), you invite competition, and despite the common knowledge that says competition is good, it isn't. The only benefits competition between humans provides are dependent on the impractical, antiquated systems and beliefs that give rise to the idea that competition is good in the first place. Consider the lunacy that is manufactured scarcity, and reconcile that with the notion of humanitarianism (or just plain decency).

I'm speaking idealistically, which is why I didn't say that I don't understand corporate secrecy, only that I found it distasteful.
Last edited by Hackjames on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Conspirator

PostSun Apr 24, 2011 5:43 am » by Hackjames

@sentientseed

Thank you for the thoughtful responses, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

I get the feeling that I wouldn't fit in well with some Masonic practices, but I sincerely hope that your organization (and yourself, of course) are able to be a positive influence in as many lives as possible.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Initiate

PostSun Apr 24, 2011 6:08 am » by Bink02

You Scored as Pagabuddagno Your beliefs are most closely aligned with those of paganism, Wicca, or a similar earth-based religion. You may also follow a Native American religion. Or possibly you answered most of the questions in the middle of the test, making you a Idontknowadamnthingeo or maybe a follower of the Damnimouttabeerandneedtoruntothestore sect. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: howdy folks... :flop:

Paganism
85%
Buddhism
80%
Agnosticism
80%
Atheism
60%
Hinduism
60%
Christianity
55%
Confucianism
55%
Haruhism
50%
Islam
50%
Satanism
45%
Judaism
35%

You Scored as a : Paganism Paganism 85% Buddhism 80% Agnosticism 80% Atheism 60% Hinduism 60% Christianity 55% Confucianism 55% Haruhism 50% Islam 50% Satanism 45% Judaism 35%
Founder of the RLA (Rebel Lemming Alliance ) * We follow no one ...

"People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people ."

Conspirator

PostTue Apr 26, 2011 1:57 am » by Helios

thanks sentientseed, was an interesting read bro:)
Let me take the waves out of the ocean
Let me take the stars down from the sky
Let me take the faith from your foundation
Let me take the wrong to make it right
Let me take away the dark like I’ve been here all night
Ending before I begin

Previous