Who Do you think was the top Group from 50s-90s Each Decade

Super Moderator

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 3:19 pm » by The57ironman

Cornbread714 wrote:50's - Chuck Berry
60's - Jimi Hendrix

...the rest don't matter :alien51:

My nomination for greatest musician of the 20th century: Louis Armstrong

...RIGHT ON ! , Cornbread... you're musical mind is in the right place..

................................................... CHA-CHINGLE BELLS .................................................
ImageImageImage

Super Moderator

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 3:20 pm » by Spock

Agreed, there is no greatest. Like people that say Neal Peart is the best drummer in the world, hogwash. My personal list was my personal favorites of those decades. There are others that would make the list by record sales, etc.

Music is subjective.

Super Moderator

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 3:30 pm » by The57ironman

@spock

....i saw queensryche last halloween....still very good... :mrcool:

................................................... CHA-CHINGLE BELLS .................................................
ImageImageImage

Master Conspirator

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 3:47 pm » by Cornbread714

Last night (and again tonight), I rented my already paid-for room at the Punk Rock Hotel to a couple of crazy young Moldavian chicks, borrowed a tent and headed for the nearby FREE campground overlooking the Black Sea.

I was hoping to catch some meteors from the Perseid shower, but alas, there were too many clouds and too much light pollution. I caught one or two out of the corner of my eye, but nothing spectacular. Maybe tonight will be better...

I spent a little time at the bar in the campground - Cafe Zen (one of the many things I love about Europe - campgrounds with bars), and my tent was in earshot the rest of the night.

They were playing mostly old-school rock: Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Floyd, Ozzy and later, even some Wu Tang Clan (funny that they were mentioned in this thread), Santana, Chili Peppers, etc.

I don't listen to that stuff so much anymore, but in the setting, with the sea crashing on the shore in the background, it was really nice to hear some of that music from my past.

I read a book recently (forget the title), that explored how music affects our brains and how it all evolved, and why.

One of the central points of the book was that music is one of the main things that makes us human. I also just watched most of the Lloyd Pye vid a couple of days ago, and it all seems connected somehow. Maybe music came from the aliens who transformed us (if that is indeed the case).

I remember seeing the late, great Peter Tosh at an outdoor concert at night, near Austin, Texas,
while tripping on shrooms. It was a fairly profound experience (to put it mildly...).

Anyway, he said, right before they started the second half of their incredible show, something like: "This music is billions of years old. This music comes from the stars..."

At that moment, in that state of mind, I had no doubts that it was true.

Funny thing is, 20-something years later, I believe that more than ever... :pray:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 3:56 pm » by Noentry

You know cornbread714 I love my children but sometimes I really envy your lifestyle.
You go where you please
You are free to explore the world around you
And you go to the best places.
Your work is your passion, music
You are about as free as a human can be.

When my children grow up and dont need me, I hope I can live like you too.
Free as free can be
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Master Conspirator

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 4:06 pm » by Cornbread714

Noentry wrote:You know cornbread714 I love my children but sometimes I really envy your lifestyle.
You go where you please
You are free to explore the world around you
And you go to the best places.
Your work is your passion, music
You are about as free as a human can be.

When my children grow up and dont need me, I hope I can live like you too.
Free as free can be

Thanks, man, for the reinforcement. It's not all as great as it might seem, but I do feel extremely lucky, for the most part. I do have a rather mundane job, actually (I write copy, typically it's boring website copy).

The music business drove me into poverty and near-insanity, so I was lucky to find something I'm okay at, that doesn't crush my soul quite as much as the music business did. And the great thing is, I can do it from anywhere there is an internet connection (now I have a dongle that works pretty much everywhere), and an AC outlet.

If I can take credit for anything, other than having been fairly lucky, it's that I have always tried to follow my heart.

If I have any advice to anyone, it is exactly that: Listen to Your Heart

I think it's the key to happiness and fulfillment. :cheers:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator
Location: Questioning Building 7,.......... Stop HAARP ..........Stop HydroFracking

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 5:42 pm » by Hurtswhenipee

Spock wrote:70s - Kiss, BeeGees, Fleetwood Mac
80s - Iron Maiden, Rush, Def Leppard, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio
90s - Queensryche, Alice In Chains
00s - Tool, Incubus

Saw Tool about 3 months ago in Vegas.........They played Tics and Leeches

Upload to Disclose.tv

Upload to Disclose.tv

:soundblast:

Initiate

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 6:55 pm » by Tonyw

50's Perry Como, Connie Francis.

60's Sergio Mendez, Tamla Motown, Tangerine Dream.

70's Sergio Mendez, Tamla Motown, Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita, Kitaro.

80's Sergio Mendez, Tamla Motown, Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita, Kitaro.

90's Sergio Mendez, Tamla Motown, Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita, Kitaro.
I am what i am.

War does not determine who is right, War determines who is left. [img]http://i47.tinypic.com/5aro28.gif[/img]

Super Moderator

PostSun Aug 12, 2012 5:48 pm » by Spock

Hurtswhenipee wrote:Saw Tool about 3 months ago in Vegas.........They played Tics and Leeches

I've seen Tool a few times as well. I love watching Danny Carey work with Justin Chancellor, and the entire show is built around the lights and artwork as opposed to being in-your-jock all about stage presence rock god type of thing.

I love how they have transformed what a rock concert is - their show truly takes you someplace as opposed to showcasing people. Adam Jones doesn't move more than a foot the entire time, and Maynard is just a shadow on a side stage with geometric rhythms that inspire the same way African tribal drums do, something deep and spiritual.

Previous