Why are the moons craters all the same depth?

Initiate

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 pm » by Soldierboy

its to me just alittle wierd that all the craters on the moon are about the same depth, 1.2-2 miles. now the craters range from less than a yard across for the smallest, others are more than 120 miles across with the biggest at 148 miles in diameter! but still only about 1-2 miles deep. do any of you well informed people have any idea why this is so?
could it be a hollow very very old craft of some sort?
"That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger"

Initiate

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 8:27 pm » by Soldierboy

concrete wrote:Never been to the moon.
So, I can't comment on the depth of the craters.

thanks dude. I was planing a picnic there next month so.......

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 pm » by Blotto

my best guest would be that it probably has something to do with the size and velocity of the objects that hit the moon to cuase these craters. ie im sure theres a certain speed these objects travel at before they hit the moon ie a truck sized rock hits at 50 miles an hour and cuases a 1 mile deep crater and a bus size rock going at 50 miles an hour cuases a 2 mile deep crater. but havent been to the moon so i cant comment on the deaths of every crater.

but like i say it probaly a velocity versus size thing .. probably slamming into the moon at 50.000 miles an hour or faster or slower. as i dont know the calculations. but it maybe something you could google so as you could see if my theory hold sway. as its just speculation on my behalf

Initiate

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 pm » by Soldierboy

how about this idea......
may-be the depth is only 2-3 miles deep and under that is a impenetrable barrier made for space travel. perhaps it was a vehical of some kind.
I would think the bigger the meteor is the deeper it would make the crater. no matter the speed, depending on the angle at which it hit the moon

where the hell is drex when ya need him, he would know

Master Conspirator

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 9:21 pm » by Lowsix

The better question, is:

Why are they all perfectly round?
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 9:30 pm » by Huge1234

because they are battle scars... the weapon used to create them emitted its energy / projectile at the same speed / velocity... at full power presumably

:)
COMMON LAW... ITS YOUR LAW...

GET IT FUCKING LEARNED BEFORE ITS TOO LATE...

http://brianhaw.tv/index.php/legal?start=3

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 9:32 pm » by Realorfake

If there is a "range" in which the depths of the craters fall in then doesnt this imply that not all depths are the same?

Does a 1 mile crater have a 1.2 - 2 mile depth? Absolutely not. Just like a 1 meter crater doesnt have a depth of 1.2-2 miles.

Seems to me the smaller the crater the more shallow the depth...

Am I missing something?
How many times must you honk your horn and say fuck you?
Now what the fuck does that do?
You feel better now, I didnt let you pass.
How bout I stop my car and beat your fuckin' ass?

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 9:37 pm » by Huge1234

LowSix wrote:The better question, is:

Why are they all perfectly round?

ive seen some that seeem to be hexagonal... and not just on our moon... this seems to be a pattern throughout the solar system... hyperdimensional physics maybe ?

:)
COMMON LAW... ITS YOUR LAW...

GET IT FUCKING LEARNED BEFORE ITS TOO LATE...

http://brianhaw.tv/index.php/legal?start=3

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 pm » by Blotto

realorfake wrote:If there is a "range" in which the depths of the craters fall in then doesnt this imply that not all depths are the same?

Does a 1 mile crater have a 1.2 - 2 mile depth? Absolutely not. Just like a 1 meter crater doesnt have a depth of 1.2-2 miles.

Seems to me the smaller the crater the more shallow the depth...

Am I missing something?

i agree i think there al diffrent depths . i think the slowest a metorite travels is 25.000 miles per hour and the fastest is 160.000 miles per hour. got this from google.......... then you got to take into account the speed the moon travels round the sun and so on.....

but there has been speculation for a long time that the moon maybe has a hollow center. so 2 miles could be the theoretical death of the shell could be 2 miles down.. but i would have thought the depth would be well into double figures before hitting the theoretical shell possibly ?

Master Conspirator

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 9:49 pm » by Lowsix

OK , so perfectly round doesn't account for specificity of my implication...

Ill rephrase.

Why do all meteor strikes create mostly round (at least by peripheral radial examination) craters? If there are glancing blows, as certainly there must be or blows at wider angles then 90º, why are there not oblong craters?

You really think all meteorites come into the planet at a perfect 90º angle to create Round-ish or concentric impact marks?

Ill venture to say that they dont..so why are all the craters round-ISH..instead of say..oblong (since there is no atmosphere to deflect or slow angular strikes)?
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Next