why are we here? what is our reason for existance?

Conspirator

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 5:48 am » by Mediasorcerer

hi teloc.you know philosophers have been asking that question for thousands of years,and no one can really say with 100% certainty,but we can speculate/reason about what we dont know by using the knowledge we do know, since youve asked it,my opinion is that we are imperfect spiritual beings,and we have chosen to incarnate in this world of extremes,to grow our spirit into lighter realm/vibration,because this world is an infinite reality of extreme conditions ie hot cold,soft hard,wet dry etc etc,its a good [place for the spirit/soul to grow in,good place for lessons. eventually when we get to the point where theres no more need of lessons here,we will move on up to lighter,less dense realms of existence,until eventually we merge with the light/god /source.

hey,this makes sense to me,tell me someone who hasnt learnt something from life???
with the power of soul,anything is possible
with the power of you,anything that you wanna do

Conspirator

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 6:56 am » by Allreadydead

You ask 'why are we here? what is our reason for existance?'

Well, you only ask that question because you know that you do actually exist!
This may sound crazy, but humans are the only creatures that actually know they are alive!

Humans know they exist and they also know that existance comes to an end, no other creature (as far as we can tell) has that ability - or curse, that's why we have religion, philosophy, etc.

Other creatures live their lives out without the knowledge that they are mortal and life comes to an end, sometimes when the end is near, they will sense it - elephants are known for this (hence the famous expression, elephants graveyard - they head for somewhere to die) well. us humans know that we're going to die from an early age, and we then try and justify or validate our existance by believing in a 'God' or some form of 'hereafter' which will make sense of our lives.

For those Christians among you, I believe that the original sin that had Adam and Eve cast from paradise was not sex or knowledge, but the awarness that they were mortal - and all the problems that came with it. They were now not content to just live, they wanted more, they wanted to know WHY they lived!

The 'Human condition' was born - and we still suffer it today, probably worse than our God-fearing ancestors, they were pretty sure what life was about in a simple way - they believed in God and most thought that they would go to some kind of paradise when they die - simple and straightforward.

But, these days, knowledge and science have taught us that simple beliefs may not be the answer - and hence your question.

Since humans know they are mortal they realised that existance MUST have a meaning - when in fact it means no more than the life cycle of the average worm, yes, that's right, we are no more important than that!

Think about it - you go through life, eating, breathing, fucking, working, suffering, sometimes happy, sometimes not, and when it all comes to an end?
You are just as dead as that worm, who lived it's life and died without the horror and pain that goes with knowing you're mortal! - it simply existed, lived and died in the natural cycle of this planet. And like it or not, humans are part of that great cycle of life and death.

Here's an interesting thought - inside each of us, every human alive today, is a tiny, microscopic part of every human that has ever lived! It's in a our DNA, our genes and we all carry it because we all live on this one planet, and all our ancestors lived, died and became part of this planet.

There reason for our existance? like, the earth-worm, its to continue the cycle of our mother earth, we are born, we live, we die, we feed mother earth cycle after cycle and if you think about it enough, you will realise that is all we do.

Humans like to think they are special, sorry you're not - humans die just like everything else that has life, the only differnce is that we're cursed with the knowledge of mortality, hence we build structures to defy death (decay) and tell mother nature that man is imortal, that he has a god and a reason for living - when in fact it's total nonsense. Man build that wonder, the Great pyramid which has stood for about 4,500 years and will probably last for another twenty, thirty thousand years before it crumbles?

Mother nature and this planet has existed for BILLIONS of years - do you humans get the message yet?

Initiate

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 7:01 am » by nm156

Why are some people assholes, why is it that they be ? Why is the earth round, why is there energy? Tell me why? :think:
Anything of interest always comes at ones expense.

Writer

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 4:42 pm » by Darkstarz2012

we were once on the "other side" with God. We decided our soul needed to learn so God sent us here. When we got back we still hadn't learned enough so he sent us back over and over. When you get back home again you may still decide to return, although I believe time is running out for this purpose. The evil people in the world are taking over. You see when evil people die, they just come straight back, never get to see God. When the world is filled up with evil people he will destroy this place and banish them all to what they deserve, an eternity away from their true source, an eternity away from love and joy(which is hell)

Writer

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 5:29 pm » by chuckdavidjr

[disclosetv][/disclosetv]Why are we here--This is a question I asked a science teacher way back in the 60's-]this-was his answer--He said there is proof that we are here =put here as a Scientific experiment done by a vastly distant people =far-faraway from this planet=From a very different type of individuals--This experiment went hay wire--& they just left us here to care for our selves --About half a million years ago!!=What we evolved from was a super human race--but as time went by this trait was lost in the Genes==Way back this super human part of us was What we call today God--this person had these super human abilities-muricles & the such--In some humans today these genes still are there--but come out as being clervoient--& the such!!This is all In scroles that the Greeks& Egyptians guard from anyone to see!!How did this Scientist know this--He was born an Egyptian--& knows of this from family records!!

Master Conspirator

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 11:02 pm » by Cornbread714

I think it might be helpful if you learn how to spell it first:

"e-x-i-s-t-E-n-c-e"

not "e-x-i-s-t-A-n-c-e"... :D

Anyway, intellectual snobbery aside, my take is this:

God gets bored, makes little pieces of himself that have the spark but no memory, hence "free will". It's all hide and go seek with ourselves and God, as Alan Watts said.

Best simple explanation I've run across, and I'm sticking to it until someone says it better in fewer words... :sunny:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Master Conspirator

PostSun Apr 25, 2010 11:36 pm » by Cornbread714

In my own words, I would say that the innermost self is not only connected to God, but literally is God - that's the spark I mentioned earlier.

Our temporal awareness, our everyday consciousness, is not big enough to encompass the enormity of God and the "universe", so therefore we only have a glimpse, if at all, of the larger picture.

It's like expecting the camera to explain what it records...

The only way to get a real sense of our purpose is to go deep into the core of our individual selves and find the connection to the source. Most of us lack the tools and/or desire to do this (due to conditioning, in part), but it doesn't really matter - the connection is always there, along with the purpose...
:cheers:
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 4:27 am » by Harbin

We are hear to enjoy good pistachio ice cream. I'm certain it's in the bible !
:love:

Initiate

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 10:56 am » by Slowlyawakening

In answer to op's question; it really doesn't matter. Find a reason and stick with it. Make one up if you have to, "My existence is make paper cranes....",or "My existence is go to anime and fantasy conventions..." Live your life, and don't think too seriously about these questions. It will make you crazy. I'm sure once you step through that door called death, you'll understand just a bit more than you do know.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 am » by Svaha

To live before we die.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

PreviousNext