Why doesn't the moon spin...odd and revealing

Super Moderator

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 am » by Vulcanic

well how did the dinosaurs die off? and what happends when earth gets hit by something bigger then 6 miles ? alot of it shoots back into space and could have hit the moon on the side facen us? yes no?

if i was standing like half mile away and you were looking at me and had a peanut in your hand and hold that peanut up facen me that peanut would be the same size as me but is it really?

the sun is far away the moon is close it's just a optical illusion....

as for moon being a shield is a good thought but the true shield is jupiter it's saved us to many times to count....

as for crators only being round thats due to shockwaves they spread out around the object and crash impact pushing dust and dirt/rock away from the impact in all directions. grab a dice throw it into the sand you'll see a round crator even know the dice is square.

My YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPmp_ByJdC5zkBQQmCr7EUw

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 5:24 pm » by Heinousone

Yes Jupiter as also been a shield and yes one got through to wipe out the dinosaurs but they weren't dying off on their own and perhaps some other forces thought Earth could be inhabited by life forms that might advance beyond the intelligence level that the dinosaurs werent moving past.

The greatest shield we have though is the planet that used to be but is no more. The Asteroid Belt beyond Mars.

Initiate

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm » by Methaneslurpee

Wow, this is the kind of conversation that really gets my mental juices squirting. :banana:
IN GOD WE RUST

Initiate

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 6:54 pm » by Methaneslurpee

heinousone wrote:
methaneslurpee wrote:That's an interesting thought because, if you'll notice, almost every single crater on the moon is circular...not what you'd expect if an average number of objects 'scrape' the moon with a glancing blow.

This is especially peculiar for the circular craters facing earth, because the objects that made those should have hit the earth first, without ever reaching the moon. That is, unless the moon could turn to face incoming objects at will or, like you say, apply some sort of attractive force to nearby objects and alter their course.

Perhaps the moon is the creator of the force drawing asteroids to the moon or perhaps something else happened to apply the force much farther away in order to move the trajectory a slight amount or to slow or speed it up a slight amount in order to connect with the Moon.

To me the mathematics involved in such an equation and operation would be astounding.

I know what you mean. But, the calculations for collision are much simpler than, say, the ones for establishing and maintaining an orbit. For a collision, really all you need to do is get "lined-up" close enough, and let gravity do the rest.

To manage inbound objects on the ecliptic plane, it would be a matter of stopping the moon in its tracks whenever it is "pointing" toward the threat. Sure, causing the moon to stop dead would wreak havoc on earth. But, I imagine the same task could be done by gradually adjusting the moons orbital velocity over a few months/years prior to collision. That might be a tad riskier, but it would not require the moon to stop.

Now if the inbound threat was NOT travelling on the ecliptic plane, then the moon would have to be manipulated into a non-ecliptic orbit, as well, at least temporarily. No biggie either, but it would almost definitely disrupt the earth's physical axis of rotation...
Last edited by Methaneslurpee on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GOD WE RUST

Initiate

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 7:08 pm » by Methaneslurpee

vulcanic wrote:as for crators only being round thats due to shockwaves they spread out around the object and crash impact pushing dust and dirt/rock away from the impact in all directions. grab a dice throw it into the sand you'll see a round crator even know the dice is square.

That's completely false and intentionally misleading (unless you misunderstood my point). When objects hit at low angles, they basically create a straight path of wreckage...nothing like a circular bowl.

In fact, most of the circular craters on the moon don't even look like normal craters. There's no bowl shape in the ground. Instead, the moons crators look more like barriers or causeways.
IN GOD WE RUST

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 7:30 pm » by Badger

Q. Why doesn't the moon spin. ?

The moon does actually spin but it's rotational day (the time it takes to spin 360degrees on it's own axis) is exactly the same as it's Year (the time it takes to revolve around the earth).

this is easily demonstarted by using 2 balls.

place a ball static to represent the earth, then take another ball (moon) with a mark on to represent the side facing the earth now rotate the ball around the static ball keeping the mark toward the [earth] if you look from above you will see the mark will do a 360degree axis rotation.

It's quite simple and anyone can do it. try for yourself and see....

A. It does

Conspirator

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 7:46 pm » by Heinousone

methaneslurpee wrote:I know what you mean. But, the calculations for collision are much simpler than, say, the ones for establishing and maintaining an orbit. For a collision, really all you need to do is get "lined-up" close enough, and let gravity do the rest.

To manage inbound objects on the ecliptic plane, it would be a matter of stopping the moon in its tracks whenever it is "pointing" toward the threat. Sure, causing the moon to stop dead would wreak havoc on earth. But, I imagine the same task could be done by gradually adjusting the moons orbital velocity over a few months/years prior to collision. That might be a tad riskier, but it would not require the moon to stop.

Now if the inbound threat was NOT travelling on the ecliptic plane, then the moon would have to be manipulated into a non-ecliptic orbit, as well, at least temporarily. No biggie either, but it would almost definitely disrupt the earth's physical axis of rotation...

I like where you are going with this but I don't think you quite understand where I was going with my statements. You speak more about a drastic impact moment to change the trajectory and/or speed of an incoming galactic body. What I was alluding to is something out there that might be able to add more measured doses of lesser energy and/or force to the object over a period of time in order to have a more exact outcome happen.

If you have advanced Galactic Math as a norm then you could easily figure out that extended period of lesser force that is necessary to make sure an object going towards a target you do not want it to hit hits a different object instead, such as a single orbiting stellar body of the larger stellar body that you do not want hit. See where I am going with that?

Initiate

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 8:07 pm » by Methaneslurpee

Yup.
IN GOD WE RUST

Initiate

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 8:13 pm » by Aquarius

It could be a defense mechanism/shield for an immense solar flare that is inevitable.

They say that Jupiter is our shield for asteroids and the like.
God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh

Initiate

PostFri Jan 29, 2010 9:25 pm » by Trenker

I remember as a kid I thought "What an amazing coincidence that the moon rotates at exactly the same rate as it orbits the earth - this has to be unnatural". Even today I still can't completely follow the tidal explanation so I'm basically having to take some mathematician's word for it.

PreviousNext