Woman faces 93 days in jail for planting garden in yard

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 12:46 pm » by Evildweeb

Woman faces 93 days in jail for planting garden in front yard...

Nashville Nixes Home Offices
Morning Links »

Does Michelle Obama Know About This?
Thursday, July 7th, 2011

Oak Park, Michigan:

Their front yard was torn up after replacing a sewer line, so instead of replacing the dirt with grass, one Oak Park woman put in a vegetable garden and now the city is seeing green.

The list goes on: fresh basil, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cumbers and more all filling five large planter boxes that fill the Bass family’s front yard.

Julie Bass says, “We thought we’re minding our own business, doing something not ostentatious and certainly not obnoxious or nothing that is a blight on the neighborhood, so we didn’t think people would care very much.”

But some cared very much and called the city. The city then sent out code enforcement.

“They warned us at first that we had to move the vegetables from the front, that no vegetables were allowed in the front yard. We didn’t move them because we didn’t think we were doing anything wrong, even according to city code we didn’t think we were doing anything wrong. So they ticketed us and charged me with a misdemeanor,” Bass said . . .

City code says that all unpaved portions of the site shall be planted with grass or ground cover or shrubbery or other suitable live plant material. Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are what Basses see as suitable.

However, Oak Park’s Planning and Technology Director Kevin Rulkowski says the city disagrees. He says, “If you look at the dictionary, suitable means common. You can look all throughout the city and you’ll never find another vegetable garden that consumes the entire front yard.”

So what is suitable? From another local news report:

. . . we asked Rulkowski why it’s not suitable.

“If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster’s dictionary, it will say common. So, if you look around and you look in any other community, what’s common to a front yard is a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers,” he said.

God forbid your yard doesn’t include beautiful trees, bushes and flowers. It’s your job, Oak Park citizens, to give Kevin Rulkowski pretty things to look at. According to Bass’s blog, she’s demanding her right to a jury trial. So the city plans to throw the book at her.

our attorney spoke to the prosecutor today. (for the record, my crush on him is totally finished after today.)

his position: they are going to take this all the way.

officially, this means i am facing 93 days in jail if they win.

no joke.

http://www.theagitator.com/2011/07/07/d ... bout-this/

Beer acquisition continues up to the point of some form of saturation and is driven on a course directed by the path of least resistance to the fridge

Writer

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 pm » by shogun

I made a garden of Sunflowers.
And we got a permit for it...

Old ground laid empty..
People really love it..

Pretty large for me..And I am constant active - Instead of constant conflict.

I think it is very important...
Laws are preventing culture from living. :hmmm:

Initiate

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 pm » by Pitchke

How crazy is that! You need a permit for a garden of sunflowers? Or to grow your own vegetables?
Its your propperty, not theirs!

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 pm » by Phoenix rising

This is just plain fucking stupid, i carnt beleive the american people stood by and let this most ridiculas law be passed in the first place, like i have been saying for years now tho food is the next big comodity, the powers that be want us to be totaly dependent on their food sourses, i really feel people should be much more awake to this, so imagine if like most people decided to grow in the front yards, have they got the resources to take thousends or millions to court or jail them , i think not, in fact it would be embarresing to them
We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 2:12 pm » by Endless16

OxfordDictionary wrote:adjective
right or appropriate for a particular person, purpose, or situation:
these toys are not suitable for children under five

Derivatives
suitability
Pronunciation:/-ˈbɪlɪti/
noun
suitableness
noun
suitably
adverb

Origin:
late 16th century: from the verb suit, on the pattern of agreeable

Not "common"... how can something be acceptable because it's common-place? that's retarded... growing vegetables in your garden is a very suitable use of space...
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Conspirator

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 3:10 pm » by Nakchopoe

strobez wrote:This is just plain fucking stupid, i carnt beleive the american people stood by and let this most ridiculas law be passed in the first place, like i have been saying for years now tho food is the next big comodity, the powers that be want us to be totaly dependent on their food sourses, i really feel people should be much more awake to this, so imagine if like most people decided to grow in the front yards, have they got the resources to take thousends or millions to court or jail them , i think not, in fact it would be embarresing to them

and if most people decided to grow in the front yards, it would become 'common'.

she's just a trend-setter and the idiot Rulkowski doesn't see it.

"You watch television to turn your brain off and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on."
- Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Computer and Pixar

youtube.com/watch?v=nLsCC0LZxkY

Initiate

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 3:17 pm » by Keniwaki

Freedom is an illusion in USA, I guess!
It'll piss me off like hell if something stupid like this happened to me.
If that's the case, city should pay for a property tax!
[b]FUCK GOLDMAN SUCKS and VATICAN[/b]

Super Moderator

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 3:25 pm » by Slith

Heaven forbid we be self sufficient. That's ridiculous. She should plant a garden in jail

marnysad wrote:How to Pee a Brain Injury Rectification Involve Brain hurt

Super Moderator

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 3:51 pm » by domdabears

Yeah, I seen this a few days ago.
Fuckin retarded.

Some of you are confused too. We're made up of states, cities, and counties.
Each have their own separate laws. This town is obviously for the retarded.
Never heard of such a stupid law, and seems like no one else has either.

In other news, I bagged me another squirrel this morning! Fucker keeps fuckin up my garden. I wont post pics this time. Don't wanna upset the new age tree huggers here.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostSat Jul 09, 2011 3:55 pm » by -Marduk-

domdabears wrote:I bagged me another squirrel this morning!

You tea bagged a squirrel?!

:badair:
________________________________________________________________________________
-= PREDESTINATION: Itz hard to be ze good guy when you turn into a fucking gun =-

Next